Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and my dad decided that we could replace the clutch in my 06 CS ourselves. Surprisingly enough it has gone very smoothly so far. We had to manufacture an engine support tool as we didn't have access to the Porsche one. We removed the exhaust, braces, brackets, swaybar, axles, shifter cables, reverse light switch, and clutch slave cylinder. We are to the transmission mounts and bellhousing bolts. That took us about 4 hours.

Unfortunately this won't be a tech write up as I am more the help than the brains on this project. Hoping to get the whole thing torn apart tomorrow so I can get the flywheel resurfaced and new clutch in by next weekend. My father isn't a mechanic but has sufficient knowledge of cars to make this work. My point is there are plenty of tech articles out there for those of you inclined to tackle DIY projects. Honestly, of the ones I've attempted I haven't found the reptile to be any more difficult to work on than other cars. I'll post more as the project rolls forward.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, maybe as I put it back together I'll take enough photos so I can try to cobble together a coherent guide.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I did mine this past spring, documented elsewhere on another forum, and mentioned a couple of times here as well. It's not really that hard, as long as you have the proper tools, and your fabricating an engine support is the biggest one you'll need. An air wrench helps tremendously in removing the clutch disc, and the pp. Without one you'll need to make a pp holding clamp too, not difficult. Good for you, enjoy your time working with your Dad, and you'll feel tremendous satisfaction once you have the job done. If you get in any tight spots, there are lots of people here and the other place ready and eager to help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the words of support! Just got done yesterday and I took it for a spin on my favorite mountain roads today all went well I'm glad to say!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can someone post a pic of the support tool they made? I think my clutch is OK for now but I definitely plan on doing this myself down the road.

Also, how many miles did you guys have if you don't mind?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had 53k my clutch fingers collapsed and the clutch started chattering. The disk had plenty of life left. I don't have the tool any longer, I dont think. Basically we used two pieces of angle iron that met at a point under the engine and formed a triangle at the cross beam behind the engine. Hard to describe. If we have the tool I'll post it. There are plenty of "hang ups" so ask questions if you get stuck the community will try to answer them.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Good luck with your project.
It is not recommended to have the dual mass flywheel resurfaced. The test for dual mass flywheel operation is that it should not rotate more the 15 degrees either way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts