Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally drove a 991. It was a CPO 2013, 7 speed, lightly optioned with sports chrono and sport exhaust, 19 inch base wheels, 30000 km. I was contemplating possibly taking it over my 2016 CS on order. :crazy:

Anyhow here are my impressions after a fairly brief test drive (15 minutes or so):

looks: very subjective, but in my books the 991 looks better than the 981 and draws me in more, I obviously like the 981 but I like the 991 better
size: 991 definitely feels a bit bigger sitting in it, a little more of that sitting in a bathtub feeling than the 981, but still feels nice and compact as compared to a C7
engine: this one had 30k, somehow it didn't feel quite as torquey or quick as my CS, but it still felt fast and quick, great throttle response
transmission: those rumours about the 7 speed feeling rubbery and vague compared to the 981 6 speed definitely rung true in my experience, no comparison, the 981's is leagues ahead and more fun
handling: I find it hard to compare the 2 here in technical terms, since I am not that technically savvy in this area, but the 991 definitely still felt good and like a sports car, it didn't have the mid engine feel, but it was still fun and tossable
ride: very supple and composed, more so than my old CS on 20's
sound: obviously the sport exhaust sounds great, but I do think the engine being further back has some impact on your sensations of the engine and its sounds, its not quite as immediate and direct as with the CS

Overall I walked away thinking the 991 was certainly not more joy to drive than my old CS, and maybe was even slightly less of a joy to drive. I like the compactness of the 981, it feels like the car is wrapped right around you. I think the 981 maybe is even more visceral of an experience with the engine right behind you and in your ears all the time. The manual on the 981 is way more engaging than that of the 991. Somehow my 981CS felt a little quicker than this particular 991.

In the end, the only reason I would have taken the 991 over my ordered 981 would have been looks and scratching that "always wanted a 911" itch. But I don't think it would bring me more driving joy and fun which is my prime motivator and so I am sticking the 981 on order, so once again I sorta briefly strayed but now I am back:)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. Now I'm wondering how the CS would compare to the 991S. Would the extra power make enough difference to swing the balance of opinion?

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
It always gets down to what are the key criteria for your choice. I have twice considered 911s vs Cayman and twice came back to continuing the Cayman selection. For me, the mid engine, feel the rotation in the small of your back and total sense of integration with the car's performance delivery is at the top. To be totally heretical, I actually preferred the Mini Cooper S we owned over the 911s for 'feel' when driving. That is not intended to disparage 911s in any way but simply to provide another dimension to my description of what I prefer.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. Now I'm wondering how the CS would compare to the 991S. Would the extra power make enough difference to swing the balance of opinion?
I made that comparison two years ago. My intent was to replace my 997S with a 991S, until I test drove a 981S. A 991S easily outperforms a 981S, but not enough to justify the approximately $35K 991S premium. A much tougher choice would be between a low mileage CPO 991S and a CS. The decision of course would be on a case by case basis, but I can easily see where a buyer would select a 991S, particularly if it were in the color and had most of the options that he preferred.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts