Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be as succinct as possible, so far the biggest difference could be summarized as,

981 (IIRC) @70 mph in 7th is roughly 2,000 rpm; in the
991 GT3, 70 mph in 7th is just about 3,000 rpm.

The 981 S is/was respectably quick, but the 991 GT3 is just flat out fast - & it's not broken in yet.
I haven't really tried pushing it very hard, and hopefully won't till I get at least @ 1,000 - 1,500 mile on the car.

Otherwise, never underestimate the value of heated seats or a heated steering wheel, neither of which came on the GT3 I picked up last week.
Still, all in all, I miss some of the features of the Cayman (e.g. the rear hatch and the "eco" sailing modes). Also, FWIW I still think the 981 is a "better looking" overall car. compared to the 991's.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
You should be banned for not posting pictures of your new animal ;)

I'm glad to hear about lucky ones who got their hands on a GT3 in time before the end of its production. I look forward to see the pictures in and out with a proper review giving this animal justice.

Enjoy it for very long safe miles.

PS This P9 is very biased against 911... if your thread was about selling a 911 and buying a 981 you'd get 10s of congrats per minute. ;) But don't worry, they'll jump after reading this to try and prove me wrong. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Saw a white 991 GT3 last week in my OPC ready for collection.
The car is absolutely mental in its beauty. Enjoy, you shouldn't have any regret at all vs Cayman.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pics or it never happened.

(just kidding, congrats on the new ride. GT3 is simply awesome.)

To be as succinct as possible, so far the biggest difference could be summarized as,

The 981 S is/was respectably quick, but the 991 GT3 is just flat out fast - & it's not broken in yet.
I haven't really tried pushing it very hard, and hopefully won't till I get at least @ 1,000 - 1,500 mile on the car.

Otherwise, never underestimate the value of heated seats or a heated steering wheel, neither of which came on the GT3 I picked up last week.
Still, all in all, I miss some of the features of the Cayman (e.g. the rear hatch and the "eco" sailing modes). Also, FWIW I still think the 981 is a "better looking" overall car. compared to the 991's.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Same situation here. My GT3 with lightweight buckets arrives in about 10 days. Keeping the 981 CS though, but retiring it from track duty.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
You suck. I'll see you at HPR. :cheers:

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
PS This P9 is very biased and racist against 911... :D
Nahh.....we just like better looking mid-engine cars....but FEW of us would ever deride a GT3. It's just flat awesome. The spy pics of the GT3RS is just WOW too with the side vents similar to a turbo and vents over the front wheels. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
M. Say it ain't so!!!! :)
So much for hanging with you at HPR. Congrats on your new ride! I don't think I want to wait until the next DE though to see it. I'll email you.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts

So as I wave bye bye to your taillights I can take comfort in the fact that my hands and rear end are warm--"He may have four-wheel steering, but he's freezing his a-- off!" I'm laughing!! Congrats to you. Look forward to hearing more as you break it in.

(BTW, I don't like the (other poster's) "racist" remark. That's a very loaded term around here, although the poster may not be aware. )

·
Registered
948 Posts
Awesome! The GT3 is my dream car. I looked at other 911s before ordering the Cayman GTS and concluded that; except for the GT3, the Cayman was the best Porsche. I want one! And, I'd agree that the Cayman is better looking than most other P-cars, except for that GT3 with its awesome front spoiler and perfectly balanced rear wing. PLEASE>>>>>>> post some pics!!!!

Reactions: acropora

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice, congrats. I was very tempted by the GT3, but the extra $60k and the lack of a manual kept me from buying one. Awesome car, though, and the best looking version of the 991 IMHO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just saw a white GT3 on my way from Castle Rock up to Lone Tree...it was gorgeous! Unfortunately, we were in the benz and not the Cayman, but after that, my wife said we need to have his and hers Porsches. Can't say that I disagree...would love to have a GT3.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
(BTW, I don't like the (other poster's) "racist" remark. That's a very loaded term around here, although the poster may not be aware. )
I've been here long enough but of course there are no bad intentions from my side. It was just a joke to get the OP some attention and compliments from other members. Many members here are jumping from 911 to Boxster/Cayman and vice versa. I believe the majority here are Porsche lovers regardless.

Yet, out of courtesy I respected your point of view and still edited my post :)

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I've been here long enough but of course there are no bad intentions from my side. It was just a joke to get the OP some attention and compliments from other members. Many members here are jumping from 911 to Boxster/Cayman and vice versa. I believe the majority here are Porsche lovers regardless.

Yet, out of courtesy I respected your point of view and still edited my post :)
Thank you. I appreciate that you meant no offense, and I appreciate the edit very much.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The GT3 factory exhaust note is absurd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Filled the showroom with smoke!

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 20 of 55 Posts