Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about mid last year I decided I wanted to add the factory aerokit to my 987.1. If you aren't aware, the front splitter/rear spoiler combo on the R was offered on the first generation cars as the "aerokit" option (option "XAM" from the factory). For a while, you could order the parts via porsche, but they have since discontinued the kit, with only a few pieces available separately. I figured I'd document my parts sources so if anyone else wants to do this, they have a map.

Rear Spoiler:

This was the most difficult part, as Porsche doesn't make the rear spoiler anymore, so you either have to source one from a wrecked aerokit or R car (good luck!) or find a replica. I searched for months for a used one, but eventually settled on a replica. You basically have two options here:

GT-Racing - This is not exactly the factory spoiler, as it doesn't have the base, with the uprights connecting directly to the deck lid. You also retain the factory spoiler instead of having the filler blank replace it.

Fredles E-Shop - This is a replica 1:1 spoiler that includes the spoiler blank, and the option I went with. I took a chance ordering sight unseen, but was very happy with the quality. The biggest challenge is that it doesn't include any hardware, so you have to order that separately.

Spoiler Hardware - The factory spoiler contains a number of specilized hardware pieces for installation. And of course, many of them are discontinued. I worked with Suncoast and was able to source the following parts to the tune of $850 (Ouch!). The biggest challenge here for installation is the driling templates are no longer available. Most of the other unavailable parts are fasteners and weather stripping. I have a good body guy that was able to figure it all out and make it work.

I attached the aerokit instruction manual which has all of the relevant part numbers and such.

Front Splitters

The front splitters are much easier to source as they are still made by both Porsche and GT-Racing. They mount just like the stock ones do.

GT-Racing - Factory Replicas, this is the option I went with, mainly because they were half the price of the factory option.

Porsche

GT3 Smile Vent

I also added the GT3 smile vent. It's not part of the aerokit but I liked the way it looks and figured if I had to car at the bodyshop already I'd just add it. You can get that at pelican parts here:

Pelican Parts

It was about a $3500 project after paint and installation (and you could cut that significantly by going with the GT-Racing rear spoiler and without the smile vent), so not a cheap endeavor, but I'm super happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Great write-up! Thanks! I'm thinking of a R wing for my 987.2 as well.

So your's is a 987.1? You had to disable your orignal electronic spoiler and replace it with a base plate? Did the base plate come with the R wing from Freddie? How is the base plate attached to the car?

Your car looks fantastic BTW.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great write-up! Thanks! I'm thinking of a R wing for my 987.2 as well.

So your's is a 987.1? You had to disable your orignal electronic spoiler and replace it with a base plate? Did the base plate come with the R wing from Freddie? How is the base plate attached to the car?

Your car looks fantastic BTW.

Thanks.
Thanks! It’s a 987.1 but the rear should be exactly the same for a .2. Yep the Fredle package comes with the spoiler and the blank. The blank attaches with the hardware from Porsche. Its a pretty specialized piece so would be hard to fabricate it. You remove the stock spoiler assembly entirely, motor and all. You then have to set the car to “Fixed Spoiler” in durametric or via the dealership.

·
Registered
607 Posts
H
Thanks! It’s a 987.1 but the rear should be exactly the same for a .2. Yep the Fredle package comes with the spoiler and the blank. The blank attaches with the hardware from Porsche. Its a pretty specialized piece so would be hard to fabricate it. You remove the stock spoiler assembly entirely, motor and all. You then have to set the car to “Fixed Spoiler” in durametric or via the dealership.
hmmm... I'm not sure I want to disable my original spoiler. Do you think the original can still be raised with the replica R wing?

BTW, I think the R wing is china made and comes in carbon fibre finish as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
H

hmmm... I'm not sure I want to disable my original spoiler. Do you think the original can still be raised with the replica R wing?

BTW, I think the R wing is china made and comes in carbon fibre finish as well.
I’m not sure, the r wing is designed to replace the stock wing aerodynamically and you’re supposed to use the front splitters at the same time so it’s balanced.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The smile vent is to give airflow a direct exit. 987 with a 3rd radiator usually vents the air downward while GT cars have the vent going upwards.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,841 Posts
Am I right to assume the smile vent is for better cooling as well for the front radiator?
On the 987, the third radiator kit vents downwards through cutouts in the front bumper cover. Adding a GT3 smile vent on a 987 is a purely aesthetic modification.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Saabretooth

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why did you need the spoiler hardware/drilling template? Would you not able to just attach the spoiler with body glue?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts