Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Someone slit the top on my '08 Boxster S RS60. I have checked with the local, Santa Barbara, top replacement shops and find them to be less than satisfactory. My dealer will not take responsibility to subcontract it, so I think I would like to try a larger market supplier.

Any ideas in the Southern CA area.

Thank you,

Hg

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Damn. Idiots. One of the reasons I went Cayman and not convertible. (not that they couldn't mess up a coupe as much if not more.) Good luck with your fix. Will be good as new i'm sure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried our sponsor CabrioWorld.com ? Tell them you saw their ad here, they'll help you out!
Thanks for the recommendation but I need a shop to procure and replace an OEM top and liner. If this was not covered by insurance this would be a good option though.

Hg

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation but I need a shop to procure and replace an OEM top and liner. If this was not covered by insurance this would be a good option though.

Hg
I was thinking maybe cabrioworld could make a recommendation for a shop for you who could source a top from cabrioworld to do the work, anyway, doesn't hurt to call them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your local Porsche dealer won't replace it for you? Or work with a partner that will? Wow. You need to find a new dealer. If they cant fix it (or know who can), according to them, can ANYONE?
Santa Barbara Auto Group, my local dealer, just refered me to a local upholstery shop. My assistant gave them the VIN three times before they got it straight - not very confidence inspiring. The company has one review on the web and it is a negative. I then went to Allstate my insurer. They recommended another place that wanted to do an after market top with a shop made liner.

Santa Barbara is a bit of a small town with outlandish real estate prices which push the cost of everything else up too. This wouldn't be so bad if you got quality services but that is sadly not the case.

I am close to LA and expect that there are some very high quality service providers there that specialize in this sort of thing, that is why I enquired here.

Hg

·
Registered
445 Posts
On the Santa Barbara dealer's web site it says:

So when it comes to buying or servicing your Porsche, we want you to come to our dealership. Our certified sales professionals, the most highly trained service technicians in the industry, and an ongoing commitment to customer care all set us apart from the crowd.

I don't know if what you're telling me is the truth, but if Ive got a convertible top thats got a problem and it either needs fixed or replaced and my dealer tells me I cannot help me and that my only recourse is to talk to Pedro down at a local upholster, I'm walking into the office of the dealer principal that owns the place and telling him a few things he needs to know about his customer service commitment and why they are performing as abject failures.

I dont care if you have a new Porsche or a '79 928, if your dealer tells you "your problem isn't our problem" or "your problem cannot be resolved or steered toward resolution by anyone at Porsche", that tells me all I need to know about what they think of me and my money. It tells me business is so good and that times are so grandiose that they must have cars sold before they get off the truck and that everything on their lot just sells itself and "little peple" like me with "little problems" need not bother anyone.

Pehaps the top needs replaced. If Porsche cant do it, the message being sent is "no one can do it." And if no one can do it, why spend $50-100,000 for the privilege of being told that.

Seinfeld keeps his cars in Santa Barbara. Im sure he's made a couple phone calls to the dealer in the past. I bet they bend over backwards for him however.

Do you want the top repaired or replaced? Did the dealer indicate they can only replace it? Just making sure Im not missing something. Seems diabolical.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the Santa Barbara dealer's web site it says:

So when it comes to buying or servicing your Porsche, we want you to come to our dealership. Our certified sales professionals, the most highly trained service technicians in the industry, and an ongoing commitment to customer care all set us apart from the crowd.

I don't know if what you're telling me is the truth, but if Ive got a convertible top thats got a problem and it either needs fixed or replaced and my dealer tells me I cannot help me and that my only recourse is to talk to Pedro down at a local upholster, I'm walking into the office of the dealer principal that owns the place and telling him a few things he needs to know about his customer service commitment and why they are performing as abject failures.

I dont care if you have a new Porsche or a '79 928, if your dealer tells you "your problem isn't our problem" or "your problem cannot be resolved or steered toward resolution by anyone at Porsche", that tells me all I need to know about what they think of me and my money. It tells me business is so good and that times are so grandiose that they must have cars sold before they get off the truck and that everything on their lot just sells itself and "little peple" like me with "little problems" need not bother anyone.

Pehaps the top needs replaced. If Porsche cant do it, the message being sent is "no one can do it." And if no one can do it, why spend $50-100,000 for the privilege of being told that.

Seinfeld keeps his cars in Santa Barbara. Im sure he's made a couple phone calls to the dealer in the past. I bet they bend over backwards for him however.

Do you want the top repaired or replaced? Did the dealer indicate they can only replace it? Just making sure Im not missing something. Seems diabolical.
You have the story right but have stated the case in the extreme. The service people at SBAG directed me to a third party upholstery shop. My contact with the shop was not encouraging so I went back to the dealership to have them check the alarm and asked if they would sub out the job so that in the event of a problem I could come back to them. They declined.

The top was slit through all three layers and had to be replaced.

I then did some asking around and found out that the Thousand Oaks Westlake Village area has a large quantity of high end cars and dealers. I contacted Rusnak Westlake Porsche and they did the job in one day, through in a loner and did the job perfectly and with complete professionalism.

Hg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went back to the dealership to have them check the alarm and asked if they would sub out the job so that in the event of a problem I could come back to them. They declined.

All of our eyes are getting older, hope this helps.

Hg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.