Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's spring and driving season will start soon(!), so

What do you guys use to renew the softtop on 981? Is it fabric or vinyl? It looks like fabric, and I think I need to treat it with something at 33K miles for better water resistance and better look. But I don't want just get whatever amazon suggests and start experimenting on my baby.

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
the concourse people say.. after you clean it with a non-damaging fabric cleaner.. a lot of the concourse group swear by scotch guard.. on it..

Lemon

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I use Raggtop too. It takes a while to dry in cold temps, so I usually do it when it warms up.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I did some research on this as well, the 981 being my first ragtop. I ended up buying the Raggtopp Convertible Top Care Kit - Fabric.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've used Raggtop in the past and it worked well. Currently using 303 Fabric Guard and it also works well. You can't go wrong with either one.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used Raggtop in the past and it worked well. Currently using 303 Fabric Guard and it also works well. You can't go wrong with either one.
I'll give 303 a chance. I've read some comparisons where it was better than Ragtop. So we sure have fabric, no vinyl, right?

·
Registered
503 Posts
It's fabric. I use Raggtopp as well. 303 worked well in my experience but that was with a vinyl top on my S2000 so I can't comment on their fabric offering.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts

What do you guys use to renew the softtop on 981? Is it fabric or vinyl? It looks like fabric, and I think I need to treat it with something at 33K miles for better water resistance and better look. But I don't want just get whatever amazon suggests and start experimenting on my baby.
303 is what I used last spring and it still has water beading off. It's great stuff.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I'll give 303 a chance. I've read some comparisons where it was better than Ragtop. So we sure have fabric, no vinyl, right?
I've read better reviews on Raggtopp but I can't say I'm really impressed. The water doesn't bead off like I expected, maybe I'm expecting too much. I'll probably give 303 a chance after I'm done with my Raggtopp products.

·
Registered
44 Posts

I just applied some spray I got from Suncoast $19.00. Convertible top Conditioner. Made for Porsche part #00004400091 smells like lacquer or my wife's hair spray. I'll report back how effective it is next time I drive in the rain or wash the car. It goes on easy and makes the top look nice, not as faded, it's a black top.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 303 order arrived. After reading reviews, I decided to put plastic and blue tape on everything that doesn't need to be sprayed

Cleaned fabric real good with vacuum cleaners, than with sticky tape roll for coats

Reading many warnings on the bottle I was expecting really nasty smell in closed garage, but the smell wasn't bad at all. It was actually kinda plesant, with banana hint I guess. Spraying didn't work though. It created such a mess I was afraid my whole garage will be covered in stuff. Glad I'd have brush ready (also suggested in some reviews). Brushing stuff on was pretty easy and uneventful. The trick was to quickly spread stuff over the area, then let it dry few seconds, then brush in more stuff. The second layer will foam and give even coverage.

Doing a few thorough layers, and even more on seams, I used the whole bottle of 303. Which was suppose to cover 70 sq.ft or something when spraying. Also expected from the reviews

Clean up was easiest part of the job. Roll the plastic in bunch, clean the few spots on rubber seals. Done. 10-15 minutes for prep, may be half an hour to apply stuff, 1 minute for cleanup.

Reactions: mikeearly

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Great prep work, I just sprayed, and wipe off anything that got on the windows and paint.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
A lint roller (sticky tape on a roller) is a big help.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lint roller (sticky tape on a roller) is a big help.
Yes, I used it. One of the greatest inventions of humanity!

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great prep work, I just sprayed, and wipe off anything that got on the windows and paint.
Reviews said that stuff is difficult to clean up from glass and paint, so I went the safest route. Once in a few years - not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Reviews said that stuff is difficult to clean up from glass and paint, so I went the safest route. Once in a few years - not a big deal.
Only when it dries, once I sprayed it on, I used a microfiber cloth to wipe it off from the windows and paint.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Great work.... I have done similar prep work when using Raggtopp on my 987 which has worked very well for me. The only comment I can make is when you are setting expectations for others, unless you are the worlds fastest taper, that prep work takes a lot longer than 15 minutes! For me it has always worked best to tape off all of the edges just as you did, then go back and tape the plastic to the tape you already layed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts