Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed the Softronic flash on my ’08 Cayman S and experienced the following couple of nuisances.

1) During the flash process the fans never came on. The software seemed to load correctly, but it only took around 3-4 minutes and not the advertised 5. Is this something I should be concerned with? The battery was fully charged and hooked up to a charger during the process. The flashed file was around 2MB in size, so hopefully everything loaded as it was supposed to.

2) After the install, I am now hearing what sounds like a raspy whoosh from the exhaust during the initial stab of the throttle from 3K RPMs and up. Has anyone else experienced this? The sound only lasts for a couple seconds, but is quite audible and somewhat annoying. It seems to occur with the initial change in a dramatic shift in throttle position. I did not order the sport option from Softronic since I already had Chrono, but this sound is evident with the sport button on or off.

My car is stock with the flash being the only modification. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I've never done a straight flash on my '08. Flash was with SRP. I didn't time it but it could have been quicker than 5 minutes. 2 MB is the size of the last SRP update if that helps any. I can say the fans definitely came on. I understand this being do to a break in the CAN Bus needed to flash the DME though maybe Scott found a way around it.

I don't remember any change in exhaust sound though SRP does change the intake noise a little. I've always thought the stock exhaust had a bit of a restricted sound to it at higher rpms under acceleration. I guess it could be called a woosh.

·
Registered
992 Posts
My fans did not activate during one of my flashes. I called in concerned but I got a general OK on it. It was during that cold few weeks we had in northern California...

·
Registered
432 Posts
that "whoosh" you are describing is most likely intake noise, which is completely normal. I have only driven my car twice since the Softronic flash, but it did seem like there was a bit more intake noise - however, you shouldn't find it annoying! Enjoy it!!

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
I recently installed the Softronic flash on my ’08 Cayman S and experienced the following couple of nuisances.

1) During the flash process the fans never came on. The software seemed to load correctly, but it only took around 3-4 minutes and not the advertised 5. Is this something I should be concerned with? The battery was fully charged and hooked up to a charger during the process. The flashed file was around 2MB in size, so hopefully everything loaded as it was supposed to.

2) After the install, I am now hearing what sounds like a raspy whoosh from the exhaust during the initial stab of the throttle from 3K RPMs and up. Has anyone else experienced this? The sound only lasts for a couple seconds, but is quite audible and somewhat annoying. It seems to occur with the initial change in a dramatic shift in throttle position. I did not order the sport option from Softronic since I already had Chrono, but this sound is evident with the sport button on or off.

My car is stock with the flash being the only modification. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.
Hello,
Since you posted and sent me an email at the same time I thought I would post on this . The forums seem to get copied at the same time nowadays.

1.I'm sorry that the flash time took less than what you expected. Usually this is a better point than longer. We have also been working on disabling the fans when programming so this is all normal.

2.Now as far as the intake or exhaust noise this would also be a normal operation of the car. The TB opens and closes and an increase in airflow is required. The 3k change is a built in part of the car as the diverter flap is actuated in that area.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
If you had a high flow air filter and
some louder mufflers, you probably
wouldn't have noticed all of this
additional low level induction and
exhaust noise.

"Porsches should be seen and heard!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts