Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[pic=left]http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/7/3/5/0/stock_dfi_plenum_200w.png[/pic]Softronic Race Plenum for DFI 987s

Softronic is proud to announce that we have successfully completed a Race Plenum package for the new 3.4 liter DFI Cayman S and Boxster S (2009-2011), and for a limited time we will be offering this package here, to Planet-9 members, for $1,895.

Modern day Porsche engines are highly sophisticated. They're controlled by an equally sophisticated computer that Porsche calls a DME (Digital Motor Electronics). The DME controls the engine's ignition timing, fuel mixture, cam timing, cam overlap, intake manifold tuning, exhaust tuning, throttle response and much more. The DME contains millions of bytes of code and many 3 dimensional timing and mixture control maps. Softronic has been tuning and enhancing this code for years. Our DME flashes are improved versions of the original Porsche code designed to improve throttle response, fuel mileage and overall performance throughout the operating range and under all driving conditions. We are constantly looking for ways to improve the way your car runs and our packages represent years of development and expertise.

During development we found that this new engine responds nicely to intake and tuning enhancements. By applying proven tuning practices we have achieved a gain of 25 RWHP on an otherwise stock Cayman S. We suspect that with a free flowing exhaust system that owners will see close to or in excess of 40 horsepower.

Softronic never asks you to pull the DME out of your car. We provide you with everything you need to upload our software packages from the driver's seat. Softronic packages are also upgradeable. If you trade your Porsche in for a new Porsche, we will happily apply your purchase price, minus a $100 transfer fee, to a new Softronic package.

What's included?

Softronic uses many original Porsche parts ensuring factory quality, reliability and acceptance. This package includes the following:
  • 82 mm Porsche Throttle Body
  • Custom Softronic distribution pipe
  • Porsche 2 Stage Performance Plenum
  • Custom Softronic DME Flash (vehicle and package specific)
  • Durametric Enthusiast Cable & Software
  • All hoses and hardware needed for installation

The DFI manifolds install can be a little tricky to work on, so we recommend professional installation or installation by those who are very proficient in auto repair. Note: The dyno was run on a complete stock Cayman DFI with 93 octane that had 15% Ethanol.

Dyno Chart

Other Cayman/Boxster packages:

Gen 2 DFI Flash (2009-2011 3.4L)- $1,095
Gen 1 Race Plenum Package (2006-2008 2.7 & 3.4) - $1,695
Gen 1 Flash (2006-2008 2.7 & 3.4) - $895

Who can take advantage of this special?

This special is open to all Planet 9 members worldwide.

How do I sign up?

Orders must be called in by phone to Softronic at (203) 723-8928 during our normal business hours, Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST. Softronic is located in CT. USA. Should any customers require special assistance do to language or any other issue please send us a P.M. and we will help in anyway required. You must provide your Planet 9 user name, which will be verified.

Questions and Answers:

Q. Can I pass on the Durametric software and get a lower price?
A. No. The DFI engines will report an error after flashing. You will need the Durametrics software to clear this error.

Q. I already have a Durametric cable. Can I pass on the cable and save money?
A. There may be an opportunity, please call Softronic to determine if your cable can be used. Don't buy a used cable. Durametric cables will work on the first three cars they're plugged into. Try to plug it into a 4th and it won't work. You have no idea how many other cars a used cable has been plugged into.

Q. Will this modification void my warranty?
A. Hard to say. Though it's illegal to void a warranty on a car based on the installation of an aftermarket accessory, dealerships can block coverage on a warranty claim if they feel an aftermarket accessory has caused the problem. Please check with your dealership to see how they feel about DME flashes.

Q. Can I sell or transfer my Softronic package to another Porsche owner?
A. No. Our Update/Upgrade/Transfer policy pertains ONLY to the original purchaser. Our software packages are vehicle specific. The only way you can sell your Softronic package to another owner is if you sell them your entire car.

Q. Can I use a MAC to flash my car?
A. Yes, as long as it's an Intel based MAC that can boot up in Windows.

Q. Can I use Durametric software to clear my over-revs?
A. No. Durametric software will allow you to read your over-revs. It will not allow you to change them.

Q. Will a Softronic Plenum Package effect my gas mileage?
A. Yes. If driven the same way, you are likely to experience improved fuel efficiency with Softronic packages. Most Softronic customers report an increase of approximately 2 MPG.

Q. Will I pass emission testing with a Softronic Flash in my car.
A. Yes. Softronic flashes focus on clean efficient combustion. Most states check emissions through the OBDII port. That means if you don't have a check engine light, you car will pass. In states where exhaust gasses are sampled, a Softronic car will still pass.

Q. Do I need an live Internet connection for reading and/or flashing?
A. Yes. Your computer must be able to connect to our servers for both operations (reading and writing). WiFi wireless internet works well for this. We've had customers read and write files from a local Starbucks parking lot.

Q. Can I flash my car using an air card?
A. This is not recommended. Air cards and/or cellular phone tethers can introduce noise and/or distortion during data transfer.

Q. Once I read out my stock file, how long does it take for you to deliver my modified file?
A. We strive to modify and deliver flash files within 24 business hours. Please make sure you provide your name and e-mail address. We will send the modified and original file to the e-mail address you provide.

Q. Will I receive Durametric Software on CD?
A. No. We will send you a Durametric cable that will be registered for your use. Once you receive your cable, simply download the Durametric Software from the Durametric Website. You must download version 6.XXX to erase faults etc.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Great news and a great result!
For those of us that already have the Gen 2 DFI Flash, what is the cost for the balance of the kit?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
That's a good question.

Although its vehicle and package specific.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Nice, finally.

Just 2 quick questions.

1) What fuel do you recommend with this setup? The reason I ask is because we only have 93 octane here in our country.

2) What exhaust system do you recommend with this setup? I'm just asking for your personal opinion.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Scott, great stuff.

On the DFI engines there is a significant amount of soot, and on some cars like the Audi 4.2 FSIs significant amount of deposits on intake valves robbing them of power. Some have suggested that these engines run intentionally rich for emission purposes. I assume that you lean out the mixture a bit in search for more power, has that been shown to reduce soot? Do you know if that in itself may keep the engine from gathering excessive carbon deposits / build-up on the intake valves?

I always thought that when I upgrade the DFI Cayman S, I will definitely want software flash just to keep the car running more reliably - better.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Scot, another question.

Many here have Gen 1 with SRP 4.1 and will upgrade to Gen. 2. How does the upgrade work, assuming that I remove the Softronic hardware and software before selling the car?

Can I sell the hardware, and direct the user to purchase flash from you?

I assume that some portion of the Gen 1 SRP 4.1 purchase price can be applied to Gen 2 SRP?

Can you provide a pricing / policy guide for someone upgrading from Gen 1 SRP to Gen 2 SRP?

Tomasz

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great news and a great result!
For those of us that already have the Gen 2 DFI Flash, what is the cost for the balance of the kit?
Thanks.
Hello,

All current customers as usual with Softronic would only pay the difference from your software purchase price and the package price of $1895.00.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, finally.

Just 2 quick questions.

1) What fuel do you recommend with this setup? The reason I ask is because we only have 93 octane here in our country.

2) What exhaust system do you recommend with this setup? I'm just asking for your personal opinion.

Thanks.
Hello,

98 ron or 93ron/mon for US/NA cars would be the best for max performance. This applies to even the stock Porsche cars. You can run the lower octane such as 91 ron/mon and the gains will be relative to it. Basically the 91 octane would produce less BHP in the stock car yet the Plenum would gain relative to that figure.

The exhaust could be based upon much of the gen 1 testing in the cat back systems. There are many good systems that have been tested on this site so I would use one of them. The normally aspirated cars are not as finicky as the Turbos with the exhaust.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

·
3,755 Posts
Can't wait to see some independent before/after dyno's on this. :cheers:
There will likely be no dynos. I cant dyno my car as posted before :( . The ECU shuts down the engine if only the rear wheels turn above 4000RPM as in the case of a 2WD dyno.
Only if you modify the ECU or have acess to a 4WD mechanically linked dyno can you do it :( .

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,875 Posts
There's no need to wait...I've got SRP on my Gen 1, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it (or upgrade it if I ever trade up to a Gen 2.) You won't be disappointed. Just my $0.02, FWIW.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I side with Croc'ed on this. I've had the Softronic flash and plenum on my '06 CS for a while. This is a fabulous package and an excellent value. My car, with a Miltek exhaust, pulls harder than a Gen 2 car. I've driven several Gen 2 cars and I am confident of this. I am planning to order an '11 CS in the next few days and I will definitely order this package for the new car.

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Can't wait to see some independent before/after dyno's on this. :cheers:
I'm sure you and BBI would like to get the whole package.... I have put you both on the back burner for now.... I'm always open to post it all for the members on this site and in the Pano if you all like. I will refrain from posting on the third company or individual at this time.
While your post to most would look to be Innocent I would have to question it given the circumstances and legalities. I have notified this sites administrator.

Scott

·
The driver formally known as Torque
895 Posts
There will likely be no dynos. I cant dyno my car as posted before :( . The ECU shuts down the engine if only the rear wheels turn above 4000RPM as in the case of a 2WD dyno.
Only if you modify the ECU or have acess to a 4WD mechanically linked dyno can you do it :( .
Whoa, thats unfortunate. :(
Is this the case with all Gen2 cars?

I'm sure you and BBI would like to get the whole package.... I have put you both on the back burner for now.... I'm always open to post it all for the members on this site and in the Pano if you all like. I will refrain from posting on the third company or individual at this time.
While your post to most would look to be Innocent I would have to question it given the circumstances and legalities. I have notified this sites administrator.

Scott
I don't have a Gen2 car, but I am glad vendors are starting to come out with mods for them.

Take my comments however you would like to. Way to shine some bad light on your own announcement. :(

I am a member of this forum same as everyone else. If Ken doesn't want me posting harmless comments in your thread, he is more than welcome to ban me from this site. :cheers:

·
3,755 Posts
I side with Croc'ed on this. I've had the Softronic flash and plenum on my '06 CS for a while. This is a fabulous package and an excellent value. My car, with a Miltek exhaust, pulls harder than a Gen 2 car. I've driven several Gen 2 cars and I am confident of this. I am planning to order an '11 CS in the next few days and I will definitely order this package for the new car.
Agree!
When I first got my '10, it was "woh-full" to say the least. But not now! ;)

There's no need to wait...I've got SRP on my Gen 1, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it (or upgrade it if I ever trade up to a Gen 2.) You won't be disappointed. Just my $0.02, FWIW.
I had the SRP on my gen1 and it was excellent. The Black Nemisis now has a new home :( .

I don't have a Gen2 car, but I am glad vendors are starting to come out with mods for them.
Dyno problem? Sadly yes. BMWs have the same problem.
Yes its good mods are out now. Always looking forward to more stuff for the next mod fix :eek:

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts

Take my comments however you would like to. Way to shine some bad light on your own announcement. :(

I am a member of this forum same as everyone else. If Ken doesn't want me posting harmless comments in your thread, he is more than welcome to ban me from this site. :cheers:
JCay,
I do consider your request for before/after dynos to be a harmless, if somewhat uninformed, comment since the problem with dyno'ing the newer DFI cars has been discussed in multiple topics here before, but I can't expect that everyone reads every topic, heck I don't. I'm not going to ban you for asking that question.

However, I do understand Scott's point of view that there were issues that arose over the Gen 1 flash on your car, BBI, and that other ECU flash company that was involved, and that he doesn't want to see that happen again for his Gen 2 stuff. Those issues are outside of this website and need to be dealt with outside of this website by all parties involved, so in that vein I would ask all parties to NOT discuss those issues here, they certainly have no place in this topic thread.

I'm not saying you were trying to discuss them in particular, but please don't fire back at Scott trying to address them and hopefully Scott will not fire back either and as I said if any discussions do take place they are via phone or email or outside of this website because we certainly won't tolerate that line of discussion here.

Finally, with regard to dyno'ing a DFI car on a 2 wheel drive dyno, I understand there are some workarounds that different shops have come up with so if anyone is interested in doing a before/after dyno they need to find a shop that knows what they are doing in that regard first before proceeding.

Hope that helps to clarify everything! :thanks:

Remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and 2 seconds off your lap time...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Is it safe to still use the car as a daily driver after these mods?

Where i'm from, it's a very hot and dusty country with bad fuel (93 octane).

·
3,755 Posts
Is it safe to still use the car as a daily driver after these mods?
Where i'm from, it's a very hot and dusty country with bad fuel (93 octane).
Its stinking hot here as well and my last gen1 was just fine. Even at the track on a 39C day. One day it was 48C!!! Anyway the ECU monitors the ambient temp (sensor on the front bumper) and the air intake temp (at MAF sensor) and adjusts the timing to suit. [correct me if Im wrong]

93 is Good!
The best fuel you can buy here is 98RON (93octane), premium is 95RON (90octane) which is the min you can run a CS on. Regular is 91RON (87octane) So dont complain about your fuel! :taunt:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
One more question, can the dealer detect the changes? Or do they have to physically remove the engine cover to see the throttle body/plenum?

When they hook up the car to the computer, can they know that it is chipped?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.