Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve owned my ‘14 Cayman S for over 4 years now, and I’ve personally put 104,000 miles on it, for a total of 134,000 now. I’ve read about different ECU tunes over the years but have never pulled the trigger until last week. The final deciding factor for me was speaking to a friend who had it done on his car. It was reassuring to speak to an actual person who I know and can get a first hand account and ask questions in real time, rather than wondering who’s writing the opinions on the other end of the keyboard (ironically, much like this review 🤣) That said, he was impressed with his and inspired me to finally jump in.
Scott from Softronic was very helpful and readily available throughout the shopping, ordering and installation process. Everything went smoothly and without a glitch. After installing the tune this morning and driving to work right away, I wrote the following email to Scott to use on his site if he wanted to, as well as sharing my thoughts on this time with this board and another Porsche site I belong to. Enjoy!

“I just installed the software tune on my 981 Cayman S and immediately left for my 50 mile commute to work. Here are a collection of my first impressions and observations:
Around town in auto (non-sport) mode, it behaves mostly as stock, with perhaps a touch more responsive throttle, with less input needed for normal accelerations.
When I first merged into the highway, with the fluids fully warmed up, still in “normal” and auto mode, I floored it as I typically do when traffic safely allows. Response was sharp, smooth and super linear through the rev range, pulling harder especially in the upper RPM’s. The first veritable confirmation of the power increase for me came based on a small overpass I usually cross shortly after merging onto the highway. My car is usually shifting into 4th at 100mph right as I get to the end of the bridge. Today, it shifted into 4th at 102 before I even reached the bridge. Big noticeable difference, especially past 3500 rpm, it pulls so much harder than before!
Returning back to cruising speeds, acceleration continued to be more reactive to smaller throttle inputs than before. Even small nudges of the throttle would result in smooth 5 mph jumps that wouldn’t have been there before.
While merging onto the next highway, I finally put it in sport mode and put it to the floor again after clearing the on ramp and when the coast was clear. In sport mode (not even sport plus), I experienced a much more pronounced shove in the back on upshifts (PDK) than I ever did before the tune, feeling like a quick but big swell of torque after every shift that wasn’t there before. It caused me to get out of the throttle much sooner than normal as I hit triple digits much sooner than I typically would, and it was continuing to pull hard!
Going back to cruising for 20 minutes or so in sport mode, overtakes were even more effortless and I didn’t feel the need to put the PDK into full kickdown to complete an overtake, but when I did, I again found myself shutting it down much sooner because the speed came on much more quickly than I’m accustomed to.
I also noticed on several occasions that on part throttle applications (1/2 - 3/4) while cruising in 7th, my head got pulled back a few times unexpectedly, as my body wasn’t prepared for the forces it usually experiences with those types of throttle inputs. It wasn’t insane like a car coming on high boost after a period of lag, but the best comparison I can make is if you go to pick up an object that you expect to be much lighter than it actually is, and it catches you off guard, causing you to almost drop it, because your body is anticipating the need for a certain amount of force, and it’s not prepared for the outcome of a pattern you’ve repeated hundreds of times before. In my case, doing 134,000 miles in car that you‘ve learned to expect a very specific response to very specific inputs along the way.
There is now a marked increase in those specific responses that caught me off guard in the responses in the way of g-forces, however small they may be on a scale. I can feel the difference for sure.
I haven’t tried sport plus or launch control yet, but I’m very much looking forward to that!
I’ve never dyno’d any of the 9 cars I’ve ever owned, and I likely never will. I don’t track my cars, and likely never will, as much as I know I would enjoy that. I’m just a spirited driver and hardcore enthusiast, but also a very calculated, focused and tuned-in driver. There is a measurable difference with this tune.
If you’re on the fence with a Softronic tune, don’t hesitate! I wish I had done this 4 years ago as soon as I bought the car!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the excellent write-up! I've been trying to decide between the Softronic or Cobb tuning. Or just buy a SprintBooster to get rid of the terrible throttle lag.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naturally I can’t comment on SprintBooster or Cobb, but I’m glad I finally took the leap!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I’ve owned my ‘14 Cayman S for over 4 years now, and I’ve personally put 104,000 miles on it, for a total of 134,000 now. I’ve read about different ECU tunes over the years but have never pulled the trigger until last week. The final deciding factor for me was speaking to a friend who had it done on his car. It was reassuring to speak to an actual person who I know and can get a first hand account and ask questions in real time, rather than wondering who’s writing the opinions on the other end of the keyboard (ironically, much like this review ) That said, he was impressed with his and inspired me to finally jump in.
Scott from Softronic was very helpful and readily available throughout the shopping, ordering and installation process. Everything went smoothly and without a glitch. After installing the tune this morning and driving to work right away, I wrote the following email to Scott to use on his site if he wanted to, as well as sharing my thoughts on this time with this board and another Porsche site I belong to. Enjoy!

“I just installed the software tune on my 981 Cayman S and immediately left for my 50 mile commute to work. Here are a collection of my first impressions and observations:
Around town in auto (non-sport) mode, it behaves mostly as stock, with perhaps a touch more responsive throttle, with less input needed for normal accelerations.
When I first merged into the highway, with the fluids fully warmed up, still in “normal” and auto mode, I floored it as I typically do when traffic safely allows. Response was sharp, smooth and super linear through the rev range, pulling harder especially in the upper RPM’s. The first veritable confirmation of the power increase for me came based on a small overpass I usually cross shortly after merging onto the highway. My car is usually shifting into 4th at 100mph right as I get to the end of the bridge. Today, it shifted into 4th at 102 before I even reached the bridge. Big noticeable difference, especially past 3500 rpm, it pulls so much harder than before!
Returning back to cruising speeds, acceleration continued to be more reactive to smaller throttle inputs than before. Even small nudges of the throttle would result in smooth 5 mph jumps that wouldn’t have been there before.
While merging onto the next highway, I finally put it in sport mode and put it to the floor again after clearing the on ramp and when the coast was clear. In sport mode (not even sport plus), I experienced a much more pronounced shove in the back on upshifts (PDK) than I ever did before the tune, feeling like a quick but big swell of torque after every shift that wasn’t there before. It caused me to get out of the throttle much sooner than normal as I hit triple digits much sooner than I typically would, and it was continuing to pull hard!
Going back to cruising for 20 minutes or so in sport mode, overtakes were even more effortless and I didn’t feel the need to put the PDK into full kickdown to complete an overtake, but when I did, I again found myself shutting it down much sooner because the speed came on much more quickly than I’m accustomed to.
I also noticed on several occasions that on part throttle applications (1/2 - 3/4) while cruising in 7th, my head got pulled back a few times unexpectedly, as my body wasn’t prepared for the forces it usually experiences with those types of throttle inputs. It wasn’t insane like a car coming on high boost after a period of lag, but the best comparison I can make is if you go to pick up an object that you expect to be much lighter than it actually is, and it catches you off guard, causing you to almost drop it, because your body is anticipating the need for a certain amount of force, and it’s not prepared for the outcome of a pattern you’ve repeated hundreds of times before. In my case, doing 134,000 miles in car that you‘ve learned to expect a very specific response to very specific inputs along the way.
There is now a marked increase in those specific responses that caught me off guard in the responses in the way of g-forces, however small they may be on a scale. I can feel the difference for sure.
I haven’t tried sport plus or launch control yet, but I’m very much looking forward to that!
I’ve never dyno’d any of the 9 cars I’ve ever owned, and I likely never will. I don’t track my cars, and likely never will, as much as I know I would enjoy that. I’m just a spirited driver and hardcore enthusiast, but also a very calculated, focused and tuned-in driver. There is a measurable difference with this tune.
If you’re on the fence with a Softronic tune, don’t hesitate! I wish I had done this 4 years ago as soon as I bought the car!
Entirely in line with my experience after installing Softronic tune in my GT4. Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a Softronic tune on my ‘07 Cayman S with race headers and a Borla exhaust - absolutely loved it. Completely transformed the car. Seat of the pants mid range torque was better than my stock GT4. I plan on getting the same tune along with long tube race headers for the GT4 as soon as the car is out of warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
619 Posts
Cobb became very popular and well know during past ~5 years - but Softronics are very good and very experienced with Porsches.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’ve owned my ‘14 Cayman S for over 4 years now, and I’ve personally put 104,000 miles on it, for a total of 134,000
What did this cost? Is everything else (air intake, exhaust, etc.) stock on your CS?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did this cost? Is everything else (air intake, exhaust, etc.) stock on your CS?
The tune was $1,195 from Softronic. I added the PSE to my car after buying it, but left the vacuum off/valves permanently open. Everything else is bone stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts