Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't need my GMC Denali truck anymore and since I have a couple very fast bikes (Ducati, GSXR 1000 race bike, KTM) I'm looking for a matching and sporty car. This will be my only car. I retired this year so the only stuff I have to haul around is my 41 year old butt and groceries. No family.

I have been test driving the new Stingray, Mercedes C400, C63 and today a new Boxter S.

The Stingray looks a lot better than the old C6, drives nice, but something is missing. It's still to much plastic for my taste. I'm also getting tired of naturally aspired V8s. Sure they sound nice, they pull hard, but I'm done with muscle car feel. That's why I like the new Benz C400 with its Bi-Turbo V6 so much. It's dynamic, light, agile. But it also misses a little sportiness all-around.

Still considering the SLK 55 AMG, but then again.. boring V8!

So the Boxter S after todays test ride tickled me most so far. With all the options I want I'm looking at $86k. At this price point should I look into other models?

I'd take it to the track at least a couple times.. and week long trips to the Carolinas, maybe cross country to Cali, daily sprints to the grocery stores or beach. Will I be happy with the Boxter S on a daily basis?

What are the realistic waiting times when ordered to spec? The sales guy said something about 90 days. Is that correct?

How much discount did you guys get?

Cheers,

Don

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The Boxster is both high end and small form factor. Those other cars are a lot bigger, which is luxury-sport. This car is more sport-luxury. You sit very low and on a short wheelbase that bounces around the pavement in a very controlled and confident matter. A C400 is going to woosh over all of that tarmac imperfection on a turbo cloud of gut twisting speed. The Boxster kind of darts you around like a hummingbird.

I waited 4 months. If they modify a prebuilt allocation because it's a high volume dealer you might get it sooner. Expect at least $3k over invoice unless you've got some inside deal.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
The problem I found that a nicely configured Boxster S is at/more than a entry 911 ... the only problem is that you have now given up all those wonderful options that you really want. If I put the same options on the 911 then the price is out of my ballpark. The only way that a 911 would be at this price point for me would be via a CPO model. And then you have the whole new exactly like I want and used sort of like I want.

Can't comment on wait times as I jumped in this time with a CPO Boxster S configured like I wanted.

Reactions: McCarthy

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Waiting times are based upon the "allocation" (build) date available to your dealer. It's not unusual that a dealer's nearest allocation might be 2 months away. From build date to FL delivery, I'm guessing about 4 to 5 weeks. Ask that dealer what build date is available for your specific model.

Porsche has limited production and each dealer is restricted to a max number of units of each model they can order from Porsche. As long as demand exceeds the dealer's limited supply, there's no incentive for a dealer to offer discounts. The highest discounts I've seen mentioned were 7 to 8%, and those are typically for models that were at least a year old. You'll probably get a better discount if you buy something off the dealer's lot.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The Boxster S is never going to win any bang-for-the-buck contests, especially not against C7s and the like. $86K should get you a darned nice build (mine was even more, which most people would consider an error in financial judgement if not a sign of outright silliness) but if it keeps you from regretting your choice in another year or two, it could be a bargain.

There are two sides to that coin, though. At some point it will occur to you that you could have bought a Z06 for the same money. Imagine yourself at that point now, before cutting the check. Are you going to second-guess yourself? I know it will never cross my mind, but I've already owned a Corvette and sold it for reasons similar to yours. I'm glad to see the Corvette staying in the game and providing competition, and I look forward to test-driving a C7 someday to see what it's like. But I would have wrinkled my nose at the C7's design in high school, much less at fortysomething, and I don't want one in my garage where I'll have to look at it every day.

Depending on options you might be able to save a few bucks by going with the GTS trim package. At $86K you could also start to think about a 991 base model, but if you put all of the options on that 991 that you currently have on the 981 build, you will end up paying a king's ransom for a few more ponies and a couple more seats.

Haven't driven a Benz, not much into them. If you are OK with forced induction, you might postpone the decision another year and see what Porsche does with the 981.2 platform. Word on the street (and the Nurburgring) is that they will go to a turbocharged four-cylinder engine and offer quite a bit more power and torque to sweeten the deal. No matter how good those engines are, those of us with the classic boxers will stroke our beards and smile condescendingly while damning the new four-bangers with faint praise. But there's something to be said for waiting another year if you're not already invested in the status quo.

As far as waiting time goes, it will likely take 90 days at a minimum. But this is obviously the best time to buy a convertible sports car in most of the country. I can't imagine the order books are full, in any event, or that you'd have to pay more than 5% off MSRP, but then I don't live in Florida...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Retire at 41? That's awesome.

I'd get the GTS if you want to spend 85k. IMO, maybe better off with a base 991 at at point... drive both and see which you like better.

Yes a loaded Porsche isn't going to be a 'deal' because they charge so much for options. Don't get too many options, and you can find yourself in a 55k base, 65k S, or 75k GTS. A loaded car will drop 20k the first year and less options will hold value better, so you may want to considered used. I've seen some sweet 'lightly used' deals that made me second guess myself on getting 18% off MSRP off a base sitting on a lot for 1 year. Best price is going to be buying off the lot when new year models are coming in. 2014 can be had 10k+ off right now, but they're mostly gone by now.

Benz C400 isn't bad. Nothing special and I never really liked their 'designed for looks' styling...new design reminds me of vending machine. I drove the C400 hard in a test drive... not a sports car for sure... rear comes out like crazy and only way to control it is hit the throttle harder around a turn or slow down... very front wheel drive biased and the rear is light. Definitely not a car i'd take on a track and its not designed for that. It would do well as a fast daily drive, but I found the tranny and engine too raw for that... C300 was better and cheaper. Interior was loud for a lux car, tech/sound wasn't that great either...clunky. Overall, its not a car I was too fond of and ticking the options means it will cost 60k+ easy. ...really small inside and by the tile you slide the front seat back for a better driving position, the rear had zero leg room. Those merc sales guys will really argue why its a good car, but at best its just mediocre...but if you 'feel it,' 'go for it.' That's how you will end up buying rather than reading reviews or people's opinions.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
3% on my GTS. Another dealer was willing to do 4%, but couldn't get an allocation early enough. Highest I've heard so far on a GTS custom order was 5.4%, though someone may have done better since.

For comparison, 6% is pretty easy to get on a custom order S. On inventory, anything goes. 10% isn't uncommon. I know someone who got 16% because the dealer couldn't seem to move it, despite the fact that Caymans typically have a very slow turn rate and tend to sit for > 6 months.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I currently own a new 2015 C300, have owned two C6 Corvettes, and now have my 2013 981S.

The C400 is the bigger engine version of the C300, but both are basically the same car. Also called the W205 C-Class, it's an excellent all-around sports/luxury sedan. It's comfortable, handles well, has a beautiful interior, and even manages impressive fuel economy numbers. It is not, however, a sports car.

The C7 is certainly more dramatically styled than the C6, has a much nicer interior, and features improved handling and chassis dynamics. It's a performance bargain, and will match up with some of the best high performance cars in the world. It is still, however, a GM cost engineered product with plastic body panels. The C7 does an amazing job of hiding those production shortcuts, but eventually they show up in odd ergonomics or reliability issues. As good as the C7 is, and it is a really good Corvette, I have not at all been drawn to it beyond the curiosity phase.

The Porsche 981 series, all of the variations, are built to a level of engineering and construction excellence that seems, to me anyway, to be well beyond the cars you mentioned. It is a pure sports car, with all the modern goodies and amenities thrown in. When the biggest gripes you hear concern the design of the cup holders, there's really not much to complain about. This car looks great, is arguably one of the best handling cars currently on the market, and is comfortable to drive and sit in. The 981 is simply fun to drive ... at any speed.

Wait times for a new order can take 3 months or more. If you can find one in inventory that closely matches your specs, all the better. Discounts vary by region, but 5% is the least you should be willing to accept.

Congratulations on your early retirement!

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts
If you are looking for excellent, refined, reliable 2 seater that drives like a real sports car, and especially if it needs to be your DD - there is not really much of a choice in below $100k niche. It's Porsche or Porsche :)

With some good bargaining you should expect 6-8% discounts. Except CA...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Some advice:
Forget about the loaded 981 vs base bare bones 991 Carrera comparison on paper. You need to drive them and decide based on your experience. I did, 981 was my choice hands down. The cars are very different, and choose the one you like, not what looks better on paper.
a 981 GTS is fantastic. That being said, the 981 S is fantastic. You will get a better deal on the S. Take a look at the S options that are standard on the GTS, as well as the other little 'GTS only' doodads and assess if it is what you like.
You have an excellent chance at finding an in stock S that you can have in a couple of days and will easily get a good deal on. Spec the car, then do a nationwide search and see what comes up.

Bottom line is is that the S is a great car. The GTS had all of the S options that I wanted. But if I wanted a different configuration of options, I might have gone with the S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW! Thanks guys for all the valuable info. Much appreciated. Looks like I have to do some homework and consider the GTS.

I have to read all the posts again tomorrow.. a lot of input!

What about the sports exhaust? I might opt for a 'screamier' aftermarket system. Good idea or will it be too much after a while?

This is the color and wheels I have in mind:

Porsche.jpg

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts
I don't think you can get these anymore. Not new anyway :)

But you can get this:

(those are aftermarket wheels but you get the idea)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats at a (very early) retirement!

The GTS is a 1 year only model according to most SA's, so all allocations are probably gone. You might be limited to dealer stock options in that case. It is an incredible car.

You will not need any after-market sport exhaust with the GTS PSE, try it out and you will see.

I was able to get around 6% off my GTS custom order, which took 2.5 months to build and deliver to FL.

Good hunting!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The GTS is a 1 year only model according to most SA's, so all allocations are probably gone.
I'm going to say this is generally wrong. It's a new trim level that's being rolled out across all models since model year 2011.

* The 997 911 had a GTS for two model years. 2011 and 2012.
* The 991 911 just had it introduced for 2015. The first two years of the 991 had no GTS as intended.
* The current 1st generation Panamera has had it since 2012. So 2012, 2013, 2014 and soon 2015.
* The current 2nd generation Cayenne has had it since 2013. So 2013, 2014 and now 2015. The first two years had no GTS as intended.
* The Boxster and Cayman had it introduced for 2015. The first two years of the 981 had no GTS as intended.

The GTS will never arrive with a new model launch. It will arrive 2 to 3 years after a major overhaul to a model, because it's effectively a discount of popular options on an S, bundled with a small power blip. This is either a new generation of that model, or possibly if major powertrain changes arrive with a mid-model refresh (which may happen for the Boxster and Cayman). The second item is the only way that the Cayman/Boxster GTS might be a one model year run. We'll also see a Macan GTS eventually, probably for Model Year 2017, though possibly not until MY 2018 if Macan sales are still crazy strong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts