Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my car is waiting for the boat, I am reminiscing a bit about some of the things I wish the car would do differently (besides the lowering of the mirrors and roof with the keyfob ;)) or which I felt were issues with my own car.

So far all I have come up with are the following:
  1. If I drive at 70km/h in 7th gear (at 1200RPM) there is a resonance rattle in the dash. I will have to get it checked after it arrives here... Is anyone else having this? Or is nobody every in 7th gear among you? :taunt:
  2. If my wife uses her key to open the car and I then later get in and start the car with my key, it seems that my memory settings are not being recalled. I need to do some more investigation to figure out if it is operator error...
  3. I think the USB connector was not always charging the batteries of the cameras, phones etc that we connected to it. Again, I need to do more investigations to check if that is a problem of the USB connector or just a bad USB cable (it worked with my cigarette lighter USB adapter though).

·
Registered
911 Posts
Now that my car is waiting for the boat, I am reminiscing a bit about some of the things I wish the car would do differently (besides the lowering of the mirrors and roof with the keyfob ;)) or which I felt were issues with my own car.

1. If I drive at 70km/h in 7th gear (at 1200RPM) there is a resonance rattle in the dash. I will have to get it checked after it arrives here... Is anyone else having this? Or is nobody every in 7th gear among you? :taunt:
While my 981 will have a MT, it seems like the PDK 7th gear is very high and would not be useable much below 100 kph or 1,700 rpm. And since the 987 owners manual specifically recommends downshifting when revs drop to 1,500, it seems normal that there would be rattles when lugging the engine at 1,200.

Also since we're both in the US, why are we using kph rather than mph:confused:?

·
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While my 981 will have a MT, it seems like the PDK 7th gear is very high and would not be useable much below 100 kph or 1,700 rpm. And since the 987 owners manual specifically recommends downshifting when revs drop to 1,500, it seems normal that there would be rattles when lugging the engine at 1,200.

Also since we're both in the US, why are we using kph rather than mph:confused:?
Good point about the downshift. However in the standard cruising mode on auto, the PDK shifts automatically to 7th even at these speeds.

I used 70kph because I was observing this while driving on German, Italian and French roads that had 70kph speed limits. Once the car arrives state-side, I will test it with 43 to 45mph ;).

Fortunately most of the time I was either in Sport/Sport+ mode shifting manually or cruising on the highway at higher speeds than 70 (kph and mph). But there are still some boring terrain to cross once in a while that is only useful to relax and improve mileage...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Good point about the downshift. However in the standard cruising mode on auto, the PDK shifts automatically to 7th even at these speeds.

I used 70kph because I was observing this while driving on German, Italian and French roads that had 70kph speed limits. Once the car arrives state-side, I will test it with 43 to 45mph ;).

Fortunately most of the time I was either in Sport/Sport+ mode shifting manually or cruising on the highway at higher speeds than 70 (kph and mph). But there are still some boring terrain to cross once in a while that is only useful to relax and improve mileage...
Sorry - forgot about your Euro delivery. I'm surprised the PDK allows you to give it gas in 7th at 40 mph or so without automatically downshifting, but I'm strictly a MT guy and really don't know much about the automated manuals.

At any rate, continue to enjoy your new car and European vacation!

·
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry - forgot about your Euro delivery. I'm surprised the PDK allows you to give it gas in 7th at 40 mph or so without automatically downshifting, but I'm strictly a MT guy and really don't know much about the automated manuals.

At any rate, continue to enjoy your new car and European vacation!
Thanks... I am unfortunately state-side now and waiting another 5 to 8 :eek: weeks until I have it again.

When I was back and drove our Outback to pick up my daughter from school, I felt how big, high up and soft it was and what light steering it had (and I normally think Subarus are actually quite good compared to many others). Fortunately my SVX is still better than the Outback but not as good as the 981S.

I am sure that if I would accellerate with any vehemence, it would go into 6th. Note that this was keeping speed at the speed limit and normally only for a few hundred meters because most 70kph zones are transition zones between the B road max speeds (I, F: 90kph, G: 100kph) and villages (50kph).

And I love the MT on the Boxster as well. Just had to chose one and wife and daily commute (and the impressive performance of the PDK) swayed me to the PDK. If I had any excuse, I would also get a Cayman in addition (my wife would kill me ;)) and have it MT with only performance features.

·
Registered
339 Posts

2. If my wife uses her key to open the car and I then later get in and start the car with my key, it seems that my memory settings are not being recalled. I need to do some more investigation to figure out if it is operator error...
  3. I think the USB connector was not always charging the batteries of the cameras, phones etc that we connected to it. Again, I need to do more investigations to check if that is a problem of the USB connector or just a bad USB cable (it worked with my cigarette lighter USB adapter though).
1. No resonance rattle at all with mine. I'll bet something's loose.

2. You are aware that unless you lock the car when you get out with your keyfob AND you have autosave turned on in your settings it won't remember your last settings, right?

3. Don't know, but it could possibly be that the built-in usb port is a low wattage power output device that's not strong enough to charge your other items. I'd use one of the cigarette lighter adapters that fits flush with the 12v power adapter in the center console and see if that works, and if so I'd just use that as it's more convenient than the one in the glovebox anyway. My USB port in the glovebox charges my iPhone just fine but I haven't tried anything else.

·
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. No resonance rattle at all with mine. I'll bet something's loose.
Thanks and I will check it.

2. You are aware that unless you lock the car when you get out with your keyfob AND you have autosave turned on in your settings it won't remember your last settings, right?
I have autosave turned on which should store the mirrors and seat to my key. When I close and my wife opens with her key, the car does move the seat and mirrors and other settings to her settings (or viceversa). But when we change drivers without locking everything, just using my key to start does not change it to my settings. I guess I have to play around more to find out the exact steps to follow ;).

3. Don't know, but it could possibly be that the built-in usb port is a low wattage power output device that's not strong enough to charge your other items. I'd use one of the cigarette lighter adapters that fits flush with the 12v power adapter in the center console and see if that works, and if so I'd just use that as it's more convenient than the one in the glovebox anyway. My USB port in the glovebox charges my iPhone just fine but I haven't tried anything else.
The 12V power USB adapter works fine. So it could be underpowered as you point out. It did seem to charge my phone (although my wife claimed it was not doing it all the time) but - unlike the 12V outlets - did not charge the GoPro batteries (at least towards the end of the trip, I thought it did charge them in the beginning).

Once the car arrives I will do more investigations. Just wanted to see if anyone else is seeing similar behaviour or can tell me how stupid I am to overlook something simple :).

·
Registered
339 Posts
...I have autosave turned on which should store the mirrors and seat to my key. When I close and my wife opens with her key, the car does move the seat and mirrors and other settings to her settings (or viceversa). But when we change drivers without locking everything, just using my key to start does not change it to my settings. I guess I have to play around more to find out the exact steps to follow ;).
When your car gets here just make sure you LOCK it when you get out with your key, and your wife does the same thing when she gets out with hers, and then unlock it with the key fob whose settings you want applied. With autosave turned on, the settings are only saved when you LOCK the car with the keyfob. I don't know why they couldn't do it automatically when the car is shut off, but that's how they do it.

See if that works...

·
Registered
255 Posts

my non-S upshifts to 6th at 35, 7th at 45mph, light load. it has enough torque at those revs to hold speed without lugging.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

I have the same rattle (soft of). I have the MT and I have a buzzing/rattle in the middle of the dash between the radio and the SC dial. I only get it on certain roads and it's independant of speed or RMP. If I press on the leather just below the SC the rattle stops. I haven't taken it in yet.

·
Registered
493 Posts
On the rattling, I would say the rpms you were using are WAY to low. On 25mph roads around Alexandria, if someone is in front of me going 23mph (usually in a frigging automatic SUV...) I have to stay in second gear. No way can I shift to third. I try not to let rpms at low speeds fall below 2200, same as the Lotus. Unless of course I am in first.

With PDK, at lower speeds, I would have it in manual and just drive at about 2500rpm or more.

The USB charger, I think is like a 1w or 5w, so some phones will not get much juice. An iAd needs 10w, and will not charge.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Thanks and I will check it.

I have autosave turned on which should store the mirrors and seat to my key. When I close and my wife opens with her key, the car does move the seat and mirrors and other settings to her settings (or viceversa). But when we change drivers without locking everything, just using my key to start does not change it to my settings. I guess I have to play around more to find out the exact steps to follow ;).
If I read this correctly the problem is not saving the setting as you say that works, its the retrieving the settings without locking and unlocking via the remote is where you have the problem.

When you get the car back (or maybe someone can try it for you) try retrieving the settings once the key is in the ignition from button 3.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If I read this correctly the problem is not saving the setting as you say that works, its the retrieving the settings without locking and unlocking via the remote is where you have the problem.

When you get the car back (or maybe someone can try it for you) try retrieving the settings once the key is in the ignition from button 3.
No, the problem is it "forgets" the off setting when you lock the car with the key fob. I haven't tried it but you're probably right that you could recall the setting with the third button but having to depress the button every time you get in is no easier than pressing the fan button down.

It's a software bug that should be addressed. I'm going to report it to my dealer and ask them to forward it upstream and I suggest that everyone else that's having the problem do the same. Sitting around here talking about it ain't gonna get it fixed! :)

Reactions: Mike R.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts