Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, hoping someone would point me in the right direction here.

I'm hearing these strange noises when I turn the steering wheel, they are kinda like something is being stretched and/or metallic grinding. Here's what I know:

1. It is most obvious when stationary. Although it may be there on motion but due to other noises it cannot be heard.
  2. At first I thought it was some random plastic squeal, but I dont think that anymore.
  3. It is apparent even for very sligh movements of the wheel.
  4. It is MOST apparent if the engine is not running and I try to turn the wheel, even the tiniest bit!
  5. The steering has no problems whatsoever that I can tell.

There was a thread about something similar a while back, but the OP didnt get back to it. So I was hoping this new thread might get a response.
:thanks:

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 08 CS steering makes a "grinding" noise that I only notice at low speeds. I suspect it makes this noise all the time, I just can't hear it at higher speeds. It definitely comes from the area of the steering column. I haven't had a dealer look at it yet, the one-year service will be due in a couple of months and I'll have it looked at then. I'm pretty particular about the car, so I obviously don't think it's serious enough in my case to make a special trip to the dealer. Let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
My guess for both cases is either the strut bearings, the steering rack or both!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess for both cases is either the strut bearings, the steering rack or both!
Actually that was my guess as well. But I don't know how something could go wrong there. I dismissed it.

I too would have my service due in a couple of months, but I was hoping to get some insight of whether I should take her in right away or wait!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the same noise on my '06 CS. Dealer service manager took a look at it and declared that it was the airbag in the steering wheel. Apparently there is some type of metal or spring around it and it can make a grinding noise when it changes position. Dealer didn't have a replacement handy, and I haven't been back to get it swapped out yet, so I can't conclusively say this was the issue. But the service manager sounded like he had dealt with this before.

TwistyRoads

1 - 5 of 5 Posts