Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lowering my car and installing wheel spacers I've developed an unhealthy obsession with perfecting the "stance" of my Boxster. My goals are to optimize the aesthetic appearance - minimize the fender gap, more aggressive offset so the wheels are flush with the fenders but not protruding beyond. I'm aiming for tasteful here, not attention grabbing.

So far this is where I am:
- TPC Racing springs for a 17mm drop
- 7mm H&R spacers front and back
- Carrera S wheels with 235/35 and 265/35 tires (stock)

And this is what I plan on doing, which I hope will improve the appearance further:
- Change to 10mm front and 12mm rear spacers (from ECS)
- Go to slightly larger tires: 245/35 front and 275/35 rear

The wider tires come with a very slightly increased sidewall width (3.5mm), and I'm hoping the combination of the increased width and height will translate to more filled out wheel wells. (Of note the GT4 runs on 245/35 front tires, however on an 8.5" wide wheel - the difference in appearance is MINIMAL). I know each of these changes is very small and measured only in a few millimeters, but I'm hoping the sum of multiple small changes will add up to a nice result. If I run into rubbing with these spacers I can always go back down to 7mm front and 10mm rear.

I think the slight increase in tire sidewall height and tire width will translate into a ride that's a bit safer for my wheels - less likely to be damaged on a curb or bent in a heavy pothole impact.

I know the usual strategy to get an aggressive stance is to stretch a narrower tire onto a wider rim so you can have it offset laterally as far as possible, however I think this is a more modest approach.

Also, looking retrospectively, if I could do it again I would probably go with the H&R springs for a greater drop (about 25mm), which with the combination of slightly larger tires would yield a ride height roughly equal to sport suspension.

Anyway, just my thoughts for the day. My OCD is causing me to forever seek that slight "improvement." I'll post pictures for those of you who also obsess over millimeters.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You should go 15mm in the rear, which is what I have.

I think 10mm front, 15mm rear, and your change in tire profile should give you a really aggressive stance.

How come you went with the TPC Racing Springs instead of the X73 setup which gives you 20mm drop? X73 is the better bang for the buck then getting springs installed which is 6-8 hours of labour.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should go 15mm in the rear, which is what I have.

I think 10mm front, 15mm rear, and your change in tire profile should give you a really aggressive stance.

How come you went with the TPC Racing Springs instead of the X73 setup which gives you 20mm drop? X73 is the better bang for the buck then getting springs installed which is 6-8 hours of labour.
I shyed away from the 15mm spacers because of some reports of rubbing, which I'm sure would be exacerbated by wider tires. X73 would have been better but it's quite a bit more expensive (around $1700 compared to $500ish for the springs) and the labour to install the anti-roll bars as well would have been more.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Oh, you didn't get the option of adding X73 as an upgrade?

No issues with 15mm, you can contact Lemon from Schnell as well. I did read a few obscure threads about full compression that there is rubbing. I have had no issues and many people with 15mm rear have no issues.

That will give you the best stance in the rear.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am also mulling over installing wheel spacers on my CS and stiffening the suspension. Would you mind sharing some picts of your car? I would be very interested in seeing how it looks like with the modifications you have made.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I'm running 285's with the x73 in the back. Tires are flush with the fender. No rubbing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Would love to see a pic of your rear wheel and how it fills out the wheel well. I'm assuming you're running 285/35? In which case the sidewall is 7mm higher than Carrera S wheel with stock 265/35 tire. If you are running a 30 profile then your sidewall is actually 7mm shorter.

Just did a quick calculation and the outside edge of your wheel (11" with 38mm offset) would be in the exact same position as the outside edge of my wheel (9.5" with 45mm offset plus 12mm spacer). However the sidewalls of the tires will be angled in favourably for clearance because your wheel is so much wider than mine. That's why I think my setup might be tight... Will report back.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was hesitant to open this up, seeing some of the crazy camber "stance" travesties in the automotive community. But, I'm actually curious to see how this comes out. It sounds tasteful.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Don't screw with it so much that you can't get the alignment within spec. Personally not in favor of thick 15mm spacers. I know guys run and track them but there's a reason the factory doesn't sell anything thicker than 5mm. Carl

·
Incurable Gearhead
965 Posts
...I'll post pictures for those of you who also obsess over millimeters.
Good luck on your wheel experiment. Looking fwd to the pics!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
15mm in the rear is a great look, but you can get rubbing.

I happen to be the author one of the "obscure threads."

I get rubbing on the rear drivers side from time to time.
My setup is:
1. x-73
2. 20" Carrera S wheels with stock tire sizes
3. 7/15mm spacers

My drivers side rear wheel protrudes ever so slightly more than the passenger's side wheel.
The rubbing is minor nuisance that does not cause and issues and only happens when the road is very rough and the car is driven closer to the upper limits.

Oh, you didn't get the option of adding X73 as an upgrade?

No issues with 15mm, you can contact Lemon from Schnell as well. I did read a few obscure threads about full compression that there is rubbing. I have had no issues and many people with 15mm rear have no issues.

That will give you the best stance in the rear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here are some random pictures of my car - sorry they all suck.
I don't know the owner of that dark blue Boxster but I parked next to it one day and snapped a pic. Demonstrates the difference in stance.
One pic is my car clearing a big speed hump at work. Just demonstrates the relative size of the wheel & tire in the wheel well.

The GT4 runs on a 295/30 rear tire, which is actually 7mm smaller in diameter than the stock 265/35 that comes on Carrera S wheels. If you look carefully at the rear wheel/tire of a GT4 you can convince yourself it almost looks a bit small for the wheel well. The tire size that I'm going to is a full 15mm (!!) larger in diameter than the GT4 rear tire, which is actually a noticeable difference. Hoping the tires will have a more meaty look that fills out the wheel wells.

My front tire will be the exact same size as the GT4 front tire (which maybe you can convince yourself is SLIGHTLY bigger).

Or am I actually crazy?

boxster-1.jpg boxster-2.jpg boxster-3.jpg gt42.jpg Porsche-Cayman-GT4-02-550x412.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Kozan it's B.

Running my 285/30/20 tears today and absolutely no rubbing on X73 ET34 on a 20x10
Thats good to hear because your hub to outer wheel distance is essentially the same as mine will be (165mm to my 166mm), however my sidewalls might bulge out a bit, as opposed to yours which are angled in cuz of the width of the wheel. I thought your rears were actually 20x11?

Lets see a pic!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the larger tires installed on my Boxster a few weeks back but I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to post any pictures. The tires I went with are Yokohama S-Drives, and I went up to 10mm front and 12mm rear spacers. Even though the tire diameter is only 7mm greater front and back, I think it makes a noticeable difference in filling out the wheel well. No rubbing.

Sorry these pictures aren't the greatest. I'll try to get some more when I have a chance.
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts