Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came back to see tomato sauce all over the trunk of my car.

I wiped it off but it def ate through the clear coat:

Now the bumper has phantom spots. How and can this be cured?

I ****ing hate people...really people who did this probably don't deserve this car and don't have one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The whole bumper looks like this by the way...it can be seen at angles :(

·
Registered
184 Posts
that's messed up and i can feel your pain.

i recently posted this:
that really does suck. i had someone that kept writing on one of my car with sticky fingers once. not as bad as getting keyed but it did mess up the clear coat and every time i washed it i could see the writing until i had it fixed by a pro. they did it more than once.

i don't understand someone even thinking it's okay to touch someone else's belongings let alone key them. just the worst. sorry it happened to you.
not sure what it is but sticky stuff seems to really mess up the clear.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
That really torques my jaw! WTF? Is this a Florida thing? A few days ago someone else posted from Florida that their car was keyed. That sucks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You can definitely cure it with a buff. Buffing often takes off a little of the clear, or even heats it up to the point where it is liquid again (for a few seconds) and it sticks back to being clear.

Take it to a detailing shop with a good reputation and they can buff it out, but make sure its a good shop because buffing done improperly can learn ridiculous swirls on the paint. a "good" detailer will do the detail out of the sun, in a cool place. Buffing gets dangerous when the surface is hot and it starts to dry while its on the car and it becomes basically a sand paper on the car.

so. yes, good detail(buff) , in the shade, while car is cool to the touch.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm confused and fuming anyway to fix this? For better or worse I waxed the car the past weekend but I'm sure hours of this **** on the paint is not hemlonh

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
So Sorry.

Tomato sauce has acid. Acid eats away stuff. Nobody here can tell you whether it will buff out because we don't know how badly it ate into the clearcoat. From what I understand, clearcoat is typically 2- 3 Mils. Buffing should not be an issue but the real question, is how deep has the etching gone. You might want to go to a detailing shop and have them measure the paint with a gauge in the thin spots

:mad:

·
Registered
142 Posts
so sorry to see that.
I would bring it to a professional detailer. you might just get it worse if you don't have enough experience in detailing like me

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
Bird droppings are acid and they often etch the paint. Most of the time those spots can be buffed out. I suspect that your tomato sauce spots can be buffed out but we can't tell from a photo. As others have said, take it to a detailer.

Between keying cars and throwing stuff on cars people can be real $hits. :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I've discovered that spit, eggs and bird shite all contain acids or equivalent organic compounds that etch paint. I recently got diagnosed with acid reflux and was told to stay away from tomatoes so I know they are acidic. Very few things that a-holes throw at your Porsche don't contain etching chemicals. Unfortunately.

·
Registered
368 Posts
We had people throw empty soda cans in our Box when parked outside our Credit Union..... Go figure.

as to the paint, "buffed" is such a generic term.

I would try a clay bar first, then the least aggressive polish, see how it goes, and then followed by either a wax or a glaze, depending what you used before.

all of the above can be done by hand because the spots are relatively small.

Look at autopia.org, all you EVER need to know about detailing!!

Later,
Andy

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everyone on the forum I will try a few of the recs and try to get it to a detailed. Had a pretty rough day today and was looking forward to the drive home and discovered this.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I've got a Griot's brand buffer that has done miracles on numerous cars.....several not my own. I would recommend getting something like that for yourself or taking it to a very well regarded detailer. (Although the cost at the detailer will probably be be the same as buying a nice safe buffer which you can use whenever). Sorry for your crappy situation.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That sort of stuff really burns me up. I've never in my life looked at something another person had and thought, "how can I destroy that on them."

I wish there were a way to reliably test people at birth so we could just eliminate these sorts (and worse) from the gene pool before they do any damage; wretched scum the lot of them!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I came back to see tomato sauce all over the trunk of my car.

I ****ing hate people...really people who did this probably don't deserve this car and don't have one...
Quickly, forget the car and go back to where you parked the car.
I'm afraid you missed the point here. She must be an Italian woman inviting you for spaghetti and left a trail of tomato sauce leading you to her house.

I zoomed in your location and found this girl in your neighborhood. Leave the car behind and keep your wife busy cleaning it.
young-beautiful-woman-eating-spaghetti-9829368.jpg

1 - 20 of 50 Posts