Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Closing the front and rear lids; it's a hassle.

For the front, you have to bring it down, and then press hard with your palm near the Porsche crest.. Very very annoying.

The rear is more forgivable, but still, in most case, you have to push it down with your finger or palm..

Is it just me, or is there a magic way to close them easier?

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Thats about it.
The rear is easier if the windows are down or doors open.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I hate the way Porsche makes the engine non-accessible. They don't even tell you how to access the engine at all in the owner's manual.
How about the fact that the trunks can't be opened without power.
As I think more - what about all that smoking when you track the car.
And that the lug bolts rust so easily.
That Porsche talks out of both sides of their mouth. We build cars with great track abilities but you can't use them without losing your warranty. And that Cayman/Boxsters and V-8's are not meant to race - only 911's flat 6's.
Need I go on ?
Vent, vent :eek:.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
And that the lug bolts rust so easily.
Yeh, some Porsche nit wit Engineer forgot all about dissimilar metals :crazy:
I complained to the dealer and they tried to blame me :mad: for not cleaning it correctly!

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
So your answer is to do what??? Chrome not your thing they're usually also available in black.
Take solid lugs and get them chrome plated, caps just hide the problem they do not solve the problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Moved to proper forum, please try to post in the correct forum in the future. Thanks!
No worries. The thread wasn't about a defect or a complaint. It's an observation about the car's design - thus the reason why it was posted on the Chat forum.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gee...good idea...is that discussed in the manual...or is this something dealer must do....are there other things not mentioned in the operating manual that are helpful??

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Jeez hate is such a strong word to use (imo).There is a lot to like too! I agree with some of these observations.But i can live with them.Hopefully Porsche will re-design a few of these things.The dead battery thing can be a real pita.As for the re-program on the remote for the windows to go down slightly when closing rear hatch,do a search.i believe you will find it covered.....:cheers:

·
Registered
911 Posts
No worries. The thread wasn't about a defect or a complaint. It's an observation about the car's design - thus the reason why it was posted on the Chat forum.
Title: "Something I hate about the Cayman"

I think it's safe to assume it's a complaint!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had the dealer program the windows to drop a bit when the hatch is opened. Now I use the rear area all the time. I also had them change the front side markers to blinkers (either or, can't have both). Search for "blinkers" I think..

If someone came up with an auto-close mechanism for the front, I'd buy one and start using the front area more for storage. The hassle of pushing on the hood is why I've only used the front a handful of times and revert to the rear.

I can't imagine it's that hard....

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Search for Piwis codes, Nick_USA has posted many of them. Your dealer can program them. Most dealer don't know about them, you literally have to bring them the code. you can open and close your windows with the key fob, have certain lights set (ie side markers, sport chrono clock etc). and other things.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If someone came up with an auto-close mechanism for the front, I'd buy one and start using the front area more for storage. The hassle of pushing on the hood is why I've only used the front a handful of times and revert to the rear.

I can't imagine it's that hard....
Install a trunk closer from a Caddy - it will automagically suck the lid down that last 8.32mm.

Full disclosure = I've never done it or seen it done. :)

·
last race, 1958 AD
478 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the car is the lack of a spare tire. Otherwise it is continuous excitement.
The need to have a door or window open to make it easier to close the hatch indicates a fairly airtight cabin. Is there no vent to exit air that supposedly comes in through the fresh air and filter system?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the car is the lack of a spare tire. Otherwise it is continuous excitement.

Suncoast sells a complete spare kit for around $800. I bought one from a Boxster on eBay for a little over $100. If the tire is old you would have to replace it--cost $99. It included cover, jack, mounting hardware, etc. and was like new.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts