Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was something missing from this weekend's Grand Am Porsche 250---Porsches! Seems strange when only ONE GT3 is entered and about 8 Mazda's and a bunch of GM products. Even Porsche regular Andy Lally was driving a Vette. Only two entered at VIR too.
Rumors are Porsche getting tired of the rules leaving the GT3 less than competitive and the teams are sitting out for some changes.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have read on 6speedonline that the Grand Am rules do not favor the Porsches. The Mazdas and many other cars in the same class as the Porsche are just shy of being purpose built race cars (tube frame and very light) while the Porsches are very close to the road going versions we can drive. I suspect the officials are bothered by Porsche's history of coming in and taking over a series. Last year, following the Brumos Porsche's overall win at the Daytona 24, the officials took away 6th gear and 250 rpms from the Porsche DPs out of fear that Porsche was going to walk away with the series. this year they gave them back the rpms, but still no 6th gear.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I have read on 6speedonline that the Grand Am rules do not favor the Porsches. The Mazdas and many other cars in the same class as the Porsche are just shy of being purpose built race cars (tube frame and very light) while the Porsches are very close to the road going versions we can drive. I suspect the officials are bothered by Porsche's history of coming in and taking over a series. Last year, following the Brumos Porsche's overall win at the Daytona 24, the officials took away 6th gear and 250 rpms from the Porsche DPs out of fear that Porsche was going to walk away with the series. this year they gave them back the rpms, but still no 6th gear.
I don't know about that, I think the Grand Am rules are trying to come up with a way to have different cars from different manufacturers be competitive with each other. Look how much less HP the Mazdas have, it only stands to reason that they'd have less weight too. I think Grand Am is simply reacting to the realities of having disparate cars, try to balance them best they can and if some car gets way out of whack then adjust the rules accordingly. Unless you are going to have a series where it is truly unlimited and the sky is the limit, there will always be rules and those rules will be praised when your team is winning, and cursed when your team is losing.

You also have to admit that Porsche does have a history of "bending" the rules in the past to come out with a victory and probably got themselves placed on the proverbial "watch" list for doing so. Besides if Porsche felt like they weren't getting enough love/attention/rule favors, they'd simply pull back or pull out or threaten to pull out to try an effect a change that would make them more competitive and I understand that approach as well.

Racing is more about Politics than actual Racing.... (you can quote me on that) :hilarious:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Guess I am kind of late in responding. I would say Porsche never bent the rules. They simply interpreted them brilliantly just as any other manufacturer could have had they been so creative. If the sanctioning body felt Porsche had interpreted too liberally, they would have said "No you don't!", or something to that effect. You also have to admit that tube frame is pretty much for track cars, whereas Porsche is running what you drive on the highway.

I am watching Mid-ohio at the moment and just can't figure out what happened to Brumos. They went from looking so good at the beginning of last season at Daytona that Grand Am quickly changed the rules on them (took away 6th gear and 250 rpm) so there would be no domination. The rule makers did eventually give them back 250 rpm but they just don't seem competitive this year. Perhaps they have just never recovered. The rule makers don't seem bothered when Ganasi dominates.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I think interpreting the rules differently from everyone else is equivalent to "bending" them. Sure others could have bent them as well, but decided to follow the original intent of the rules instead of bending them. When you bend and win you look smart, when you bend and lose well that's not a good outcome at all from any perspective. What's that old saying, rules were meant to be broken? :). As i said previously it is more about politics than racing in many instances... Was that Patrick long i saw driving a NASCAR car at road America earlier today???

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Once others had seen what Porsche had done (for example, with the fenders on the 935). they too became creative. Other makes began sprouting fabulous fenders. I don't think it was so much others being "true" to some concept as it was the brilliance of Norbert Singer in interpreting rules. Again, if what he had done was so bad, they could have stopped him.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't know about that, I think the Grand Am rules are trying to come up with a way to have different cars from different manufacturers be competitive with each other.
Well, it's their series and they can do as they please, but I much prefer watching ALMS because of that weird and unfair "matching" of car types in GrandAM.

If I see (in ALMS) a GT3RSR dueling with an F430, a C6 race car and an M3GTR, I "get" it, they are similar cars that, in street guise, perform about the same overall (each with strengths and weaknesses).

If I watch GrandAM, I laugh at the Mazdas running away with the prize. They sound good, mind you, but how on earth is an Rx8 in any way comparable to a GT3 or a Corvette ? The street car has no torque and practically eats more oil than gasoline.

That artificial rebalancing of the cars makes the manufacturers such as Porsche or BMW look stupid, when their race proven product gets beaten by a tube frame look-alike from a cheaper brand. At some point it was the Pontiacs, also tube frames... Makes no sense why you'd subject yourself to this as a manufacturer... I just vote with my remote (besides, grand AM Daytona prototypes are the fugliest cars ever raced) and switch to ALMS...

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
The only reason Porsche still has anything to do with Grand Am is the 24hrs of Daytona. This is still considered a prestigious win. I think that point of view, along with the entire GA series, is fading. DPs are ridiculous and having 50 lined up on a roval makes for a crash fest at every flag event. It has become nascar with right turns. The only positive is the continental cup which is great entry level endurance racing.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I watch just about any racing that has left and right turns. I do prefer ALMS.....was involved in it in 2002-2003 as the liaison between Coca-Cola and the Olive Garden 550 Maranello Team. K-Man is right about their foibles. I know the whole restrictor routine and tech to ensure reasonable balance back then was occassionally painful. But, any series that has a broader mix of manufacturers represented gets my vote. When I compare the 24 Hours of Le Mans in which many ALMS teams compete versus the 24 Hours of Daytona........for me the 24 Hours is just a lot more enjoyable. And, let's consider which series has brought more technology to the street? But, hey, there is hope GA has finally agree to let Porsche run their 3.8L engine. That was the race previous to last weekends. And, let's see.......Oh a Porsche running that engine won, hhmmmmm.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The GT class in Grand-Am allows purpose built tube frame race cars to compete against modified street cars. One is called prep 1 and the other prep 2 (I forget which is which). The rules are supposed to equalize them, but right now, they favor the purpose built race cars. None of the modified street cars, Porsche, Corvette, etc, are doing very well. Many of the big teams that ran these cars are boycotting the series until the rules are more fair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts