Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Boxster S with the PCM2.1 and Bose sound and most days when I start my car, I get no sound. No radio, no CD. The PCM always turns on, just no sound.
Most of the times when it does turn on is if the car is already warmed up or driven in the past few hours like if I run an errand at lunch time after driving the car to work in the morning. Very rarely though it will come on when I start the car in the morning to drive to work. I "suspect" it's an amplifier issue but who knows?
Another possibly unrelated issue/symptom is when I open the drivers door to get in (before the car is started) I sometimes notice the speakers will pop or hiss.

Cheers,
Julian

·
Administrator
2,000 Posts
Have you physically looked at the amplifier? The noises when opening the door (ignition off and key not in the ignition) would make me suspect an amplifier issue as well. The first thing I'd do is track it down and make certain it hasn't experienced any water intrusion.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
went out and had a look at lunchtime, looks perfectly clean (I'm presuming there's only the one amplifier, its a black one behind the toolkit cover) I unplugged the 3 plugs and there wasn't any sign of corrosion or dirt. I'll try removing it this weekend so I can inspect the insides.

·
Registered
2014 Boxster Saphire Blue Metallic, Lots of Custom Engine, Body and Interior Work *Never Done*
60 Posts
Ive had this happen as well several times. I read on many many forum posts it comes down to, three issues #1, The bose amp is going out #2, The battery is going out or #3, Hot from a lot of use. I found my battery terminals were so loose i could pull them off and its now fixed, My battery is 1 1/2 years old. You want to try the Bose amp its under the seat and its pretty cheap on Ebay for around $90-$140 Used. I know a guy here that had the same issue and he got a Bose amp (Ebay) for $110,00 and he has had zero issues since.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive had this happen as well several times. I read on many many forum posts it comes down to, three issues #1, The bose amp is going out #2, The battery is going out or #3, Hot from a lot of use. I found my battery terminals were so loose i could pull them off and its now fixed, My battery is 1 1/2 years old. You want to try the Bose amp its under the seat and its pretty cheap on Ebay for around $90-$140 Used. I know a guy here that had the same issue and he got a Bose amp (Ebay) for $110,00 and he has had zero issues since.
There's another amp under the seat?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it's below the seat under the carpet. Take out the seat and pull up the tab and it's right there. That's the bose one
I did look under the seats last night and couldn't see an amp. Have just now also checked the "Accessories and Equipment" portion of the service guide and the only indicated location for the amplifier is in the frunk. While hunting through the 171 pages I discovered there's a trapdoor in the side of the Boxster Subwoofer enclosure that gives you easy access to the connector! How have I never noticed it? no more contortionist moves to deal with that connector from the underside!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts