Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have/had a nice CTEK 800 battery maintainer for the last 2 years. My cars are kept outdoors so I cut up a tupperware case to enclose the CTEK to keep it out of the elements.

Cut to last Sunday when we had a ton of rain in the area. I go out on Tuesday and notice some condensation on the lid. Turns out that the lid had cracked due to the cold earlier this month and the tupperware case was filled with water with the CTEK completely submerged. The LED's were still on and charging however.

I emptied the thing out and could hear sloshing water inside the CTEK unit. So much for it being completely sealed!

So I left it in front of a heating vent for the last week hoping it'll dry. Last night when it got cold again, I brought the thing back outside to test. I could still hear a water sloshing inside and when I plugged it in, all I heard was buzzing and crackling. I was so angry I started shaking and smacking the thing while it was still plugged into the wall and the battery. Didn't seem to help and I wasn't electrocuted. Fail on both parts I guess.

I ordered another unit from Amazon, there goes another $75 I can't afford to waste right now. Any other suggestions before I wing the old unit into my neigbbors yard? I was thinking maybe I leave it plugged it so that the heat generated by the short circuit would evaporate the water trapped inside faster.

Can you tell I'm just a bit angry? :mad:

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
What about getting one of the battery maintainers that Ralph Booth at BootheDesign was selling a couple of years ago? That's what I have and it has a quick disconnect on it so you can leave part of it under your hood and plugged into the battery and take the charging unit elsewhere if needed. I'm not sure if the main charging unit is weatherproof or not, if it isn't, then I guess you'd need to build a housing for it as well. There are some great new tupperware-like containers that my wife has now with these lids that lock down on all 4 sides and are made of thicker plastic, one of those might work... how far away is your plug in from where your car is? Any chance you can get a carport?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no carport, zoning regulations and all. I'm just going to punch some holds at the bottom of the container for my next tender. The unit is normally well sealed unless it's submerged for a few days in water! I just need to container to keep the rain, snow and sun from beating on the thing directly.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. I have to run an extension cord out to the car, it's about 15 feet away. I can just wrap some Saran wrap around it and call it a day.

Come to think of it, the plug where the tender plugged into the extension cord was inside the container and completely submerged too. Amazing it didn't trip a circuit breaker in the house.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Why not contact the manufacture to see if they will provide a free replacement?

Or, since you aren't happy with the expensive one, buy a cheap one from Harbour Freight? It can be any worse that the one you have and have been to work fine.

A new water-proof container for the replacement would also be in order. ;>)

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I splurged for the CTEK 3300 with the waterproof connectors. Ah well, can't complain too much. Maybe the old one will come back to life once it dries out (if ever). I'll use it on the other car then...

·
Premium Member
981CaymanS
611 Posts
I could still hear a water sloshing inside and when I plugged it in, all I heard was buzzing and crackling.

QUOTE;

Pete, are you nuts...? :eek:

I am glad you are Ok,

Kids please don't try this at home... if your electric gizmo says waterproof it means it could withstand the weather but will NOT work under water...

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Sounds like someone needs to design a truly waterproof housing for Pete. :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, not really happy this month with the roofer bill, car insurance bill, job situation, etc. I was glad to get a car pooler for the Hairy Dog Garage event to split the gas and tolls! Forget about heading down to TPC again!

Maybe 2 months of not doing anything will make me feel better.

See you guys in April!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nah, can't do that. It's my own dumb fault the container broke and I didn't notice it. I'm going to have to build a little dog house to hold the next one! :hilarious:

Why not contact the manufacture to see if they will provide a free replacement?

Or, since you aren't happy with the expensive one, buy a cheap one from Harbour Freight? It can be any worse that the one you have and have been to work fine.

A new water-proof container for the replacement would also be in order. ;>)

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I may try that. The power cord on the wall outlet side of the charge is much thicker than the cig lighter wire. Not sure what it'll do to the moldings on the door.

Using an open window isn't an option since it's outdoors. The thing runs pretty warm while it's on and paronoid me is afraid it may go POOF! inside the car...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I may try that. The power cord on the wall outlet side of the charge is much thicker than the cig lighter wire. Not sure what it'll do to the moldings on the door.

Using an open window isn't an option since it's outdoors. The thing runs pretty warm while it's on and paronoid me is afraid it may go POOF! inside the car...
Wire your maintainer directly to the battery and place the maintainer in the front trunk. Run an extension cord out the back of the hood near the windshield, there's plenty of room. Use a quick disconnect between the battery and the maintainer so you can remove it when not in use. Most of the chargers I've seen come with the hardware to connect directly to the battery.

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts

There are "thin" extension cords out there that will reduce the abount of deformation on the door gasket. The only thing I would do inside the car is place the charger on something non-combustable on the floor. If you place it on a brick or something, you will keep the warm charger off the carpet and allow air pretty much all around it.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Yeah, not really happy this month with the roofer bill, car insurance bill, job situation, etc. I was glad to get a car pooler for the Hairy Dog Garage event to split the gas and tolls! Forget about heading down to TPC again!

Maybe 2 months of not doing anything will make me feel better.

See you guys in April!
How are you going to go two months without an event? I can't imagine what the withdrawal symptoms would be like.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Okay . . I'll share a secret . . . depending on how you feel about stealing government property this may or may not set well.

I have a flotilla of battery tenders for bikes. I take about 4 bricks and set the tender on top of them. Then I place one of those plastic U.S.P.S boxes upside down over the tender atop the bricks. Take 4 more bricks and set on top of the plastic box to hold it in place.

• Crude
  • Ugly
  • Simple
  • Effective

I've got spare boxes and plenty of bricks.

If the highly sophisticated means and methods elude you . . . I can have the stuff to your place in minutes.

:hilarious:

By the way . . . I've done that same route up the Palisades, across 202, and 35 and found some GREAT roads this week . . . actually twice this week just for grins.

·
Porsche Prophet
937 Posts
Hey...with the way the year is starting out for you (roof, etc.) a current full moon, Murphy's Law...that is exactly what may happen...POOF! :hilarious:
Things will get better in February...

·
Registered
446 Posts
pete... just put it on the floor inside the car ,crack the window about a half inch to run extention cord out, stuff the window opening with some of that soft foam insulation like you would use around an air conditioner to keep bugs out. your car is covered so there shouldn't be a problem with rain, I have the same unit and it gets warm but not that hot, I mean you can pick it up with your bare hand, you shouldn't have to worry about it being inside the car. its probably safer there than being outside the car.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I use the same method you do Pete, and I haven't had a problem with the tuppeware cracking. I simply made two holes at each end of the box for the wires. Of course, I do check the box during and after snow or rain.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The new CTEK 3300 should be here on Tue along with a new cigarette adapter (they changed the connector last year I guess).

The old unit still has water in it by the sloshing sounds it makes...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts