Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Our dual wall tips look like an OEM+ upgrade and both are ready to ship! Contact us for your Planet9 discount!

Please PM me (or post here) a cost for the Black Chrome tips by themselves...

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice! great way to upgrade without the huge cost of a full system. Do these directly bolt-on to the 987 Cayman? Any modification necessary?
Also, do these save any weight from the stock 987 setup?

·
Registered
244 Posts
OK so finally I put on my Soul X Pipe with tips yesterday, 981 GTS, this is not a simple job, you need 2 people and I also had to remove the cross-member which supports the exhaust manifolds to get sufficient movement to install the center section. Removing the cross member is a b*tch as there are 2 13mm bolts which are facing inside out under the engine.

Notwithstanding that I have been sat on the fence about doing this mod for over a year as neither Soul or Dream could provide a sound clip and its was mentioned that it made the exhaust note more smooth. The sports exhaust on a 981 GTS is pretty much optimal, so I didnt want to make it any quieter but I also know from building X pipes for my Ferrari 430's with Kline Innovation that X pipes can indeed do wonderful things for the sound.

So 2 hours later, the X pipe is on & I must say I am actually super impressed. The car is louder across the rev range, screams a bit like a GT3 at WoT and looses none of the crackle on overrun. Video to follow. JUST DO IT GUYS, its a very worthwhile mod... I particularly like the Porsche lettering on my tips too.

Attachments

617 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice! great way to upgrade without the huge cost of a full system. Do these directly bolt-on to the 987 Cayman? Any modification necessary?
Also, do these save any weight from the stock 987 setup?
There are no modifications necessary to bolt them into the factory exhaust or any aftermarket exhaust that can use the factory tip section. They do not save weight due to the robust cast X-pipe and heavy duty clamps designed for a long life cycle and years of abuse. I just weighed a 987.1 factory tip section at 5.5 lbs. Our X weighs 2.5 lbs, Accuseal clamps are .9 lbs a pair, slash cut single wall tips are 2.7 lbs per pair with Mikalor clamps, and the deluxe double wall tips weigh 3.3 lbs a pair for reference.

+1 on the tip alone pricing in either black or silver chrome.
thanks
PM incoming

OK so finally I put on my Soul X Pipe with tips yesterday, 981 GTS, this is not a simple job, you need 2 people and I also had to remove the cross-member which supports the exhaust manifolds to get sufficient movement to install the center section. Removing the cross member is a b*tch as there are 2 13mm bolts which are facing inside out under the engine.

Notwithstanding that I have been sat on the fence about doing this mod for over a year as neither Soul or Dream could provide a sound clip and its was mentioned that it made the exhaust note more smooth. The sports exhaust on a 981 GTS is pretty much optimal, so I didnt want to make it any quieter but I also know from building X pipes for my Ferrari 430's with Kline Innovation that X pipes can indeed do wonderful things for the sound.

So 2 hours later, the X pipe is on & I must say I am actually super impressed. The car is louder across the rev range, screams a bit like a GT3 at WoT and looses none of the crackle on overrun. Video to follow. JUST DO IT GUYS, its a very worthwhile mod... I particularly like the Porsche lettering on my tips too.
Thank you for trusting us on an upgrade recommendation, we're glad we could live up to our promises! We all can't wait for video!

Sound clip for Boxster base?
We do not but we will work towards getting them.

617 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
All are in stock and ready to ship!

Considering upgrading to our exhaust in the future? You'll be able to reuse your SOUL X-pipe and tips - saving you money when it comes time to purchase a system from us!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks for the review, but just a tip for anyone else doing this... you do not need to remove the cross-member. I have replaced tips several times by just removing one side of the exhaust, which I do by myself:

1. Remove one rear wheel.
2. Remove the 2 exhaust bolts on the flange to the header behind the wheel you just removed after spraying them with PB Blaster.
3. Remove the clamp/band right where the exhaust pipe enters the muffler can (it's an e-torx bolt).
4. Loosen 2 bolts on bands that hold the tips on the lower exhaust outlets. Rock the tips down so that you can reach bolts for the next step.
5. Loosen 2 bolts on bands that hold the coupler on the upper exhaust outlets. Slide the coupler off to one side or the other.
6. Slide the tip all the way to the side that will stay on the car. It should now be free from the side you are going to remove.
7. Pull that whole side of the exhaust off the car.

Pull old tips off and put new tips on.

Reinstall muffler in reverse order. Don't over-torque the bolts at the header flange!

Enjoy.

617 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks for the review, but just a tip for anyone else doing this... you do not need to remove the cross-member. I have replaced tips several times by just removing one side of the exhaust, which I do by myself:

1. Remove one rear wheel.
2. Remove the 2 exhaust bolts on the flange to the header behind the wheel you just removed after spraying them with PB Blaster.
3. Remove the clamp/band right where the exhaust pipe enters the muffler can (it's an e-torx bolt).
4. Loosen 2 bolts on bands that hold the tips on the lower exhaust outlets. Rock the tips down so that you can reach bolts for the next step.
5. Loosen 2 bolts on bands that hold the coupler on the upper exhaust outlets. Slide the coupler off to one side or the other.
6. Slide the tip all the way to the side that will stay on the car. It should now be free from the side you are going to remove.
7. Pull that whole side of the exhaust off the car.

Pull old tips off and put new tips on.

Reinstall muffler in reverse order. Don't over-torque the bolts at the header flange!

Enjoy.
Thank you for listing out the install steps.

-Mike

·
Registered
244 Posts
you dont need to remove a wheel or jack up the car if you also also loosen the centre bolts on the supporting cross member but you do need 2 people

21 - 40 of 58 Posts