Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Soul Performance 981 Performance (so non-valved) exhaust last week - so - now it has about - week on it figured I would do a review. I’m a 2013 981 Base with 6MT and Sport Chrono - and the car has 11k miles on it.

Install: The exhaust itself was a breeze, once I got to the actual installation. However, the removal of the original was a bastard. Amazing the corrosion on a car with only 11k miles on it. And - the studs are pressed into the header flanges, and had to be removed for the install. Heated the studs with a butane torch for 5 mins (each), and they came out with a few whacks. Also, the exhaust bracket clamps needed replacing (cheap part), but no one had them so that put a damper on the install. Ended up using some hose clamps temporarily until the new clamps came from Suncoast. Once the prep work was done, I had the new exhaust on in less than an hour.

Fit and Finish: Amazing. The stainless matte finish that Soul uses is gorgeous. Love the texture and matte finish - and it handles prints, etc well also. The fit of the exhaust was top notch - oem quality overall how well it went right on.

Sound - Can I get a ‘Hell Yes!” Sounds unreal. I opted not to go for the valves, well, why? To me I don’t have PSE currently, and it doesn’t integrate, so why have an extra button? And - why not sound like a sports car all of the time, was my thought process.
The sound on cold start and acceleration are out of this world, and make that flat 6 sound like it ought to. Minimal drone for what the exhaust is (yes, there is some, but it is not excessive at all).
And - call me crazy - but in Sport Plus - it absolutely snaps-crackles-and pops more than it does in ‘normal’ mode. Not sure if that is because the engine maps differently in Sport plus and Sport as opposed to normal (can anyone confirm?) - but - it DEFINITELY makes a difference. It is definitely not in my head that Sport Plus changes the dynamic of the exhaust, even though no PSE.

Overall, great product.

Only think I would like to see is the install instructions updated to include torque specs. But - hats off to Soul for hitting the mark on this

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've got one myself and I've had it for a couple of years now. I still love the sound it makes.

It changes to a more bronze-ish colour after some use though. I want to get it back to its old silver/grey satin finish again. I'm not quite sure how short of sending it back to Soul.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Installed the Soul Performance 981 Performance (so non-valved) exhaust last week - so - now it has about - week on it figured I would do a review. I’m a 2013 981 Base with 6MT and Sport Chrono - and the car has 11k miles on it.

Install: The exhaust itself was a breeze, once I got to the actual installation. However, the removal of the original was a bastard. Amazing the corrosion on a car with only 11k miles on it. And - the studs are pressed into the header flanges, and had to be removed for the install. Heated the studs with a butane torch for 5 mins (each), and they came out with a few whacks. Also, the exhaust bracket clamps needed replacing (cheap part), but no one had them so that put a damper on the install. Ended up using some hose clamps temporarily until the new clamps came from Suncoast. Once the prep work was done, I had the new exhaust on in less than an hour.

Fit and Finish: Amazing. The stainless matte finish that Soul uses is gorgeous. Love the texture and matte finish - and it handles prints, etc well also. The fit of the exhaust was top notch - oem quality overall how well it went right on.

Sound - Can I get a ‘Hell Yes!” Sounds unreal. I opted not to go for the valves, well, why? To me I don’t have PSE currently, and it doesn’t integrate, so why have an extra button? And - why not sound like a sports car all of the time, was my thought process.
The sound on cold start and acceleration are out of this world, and make that flat 6 sound like it ought to. Minimal drone for what the exhaust is (yes, there is some, but it is not excessive at all).
And - call me crazy - but in Sport Plus - it absolutely snaps-crackles-and pops more than it does in ‘normal’ mode. Not sure if that is because the engine maps differently in Sport plus and Sport as opposed to normal (can anyone confirm?) - but - it DEFINITELY makes a difference. It is definitely not in my head that Sport Plus changes the dynamic of the exhaust, even though no PSE.

Overall, great product.

Only think I would like to see is the install instructions updated to include torque specs. But - hats off to Soul for hitting the mark on this
With respect to sound in Sport and Sport +/// yes, the SportChrono does have different engine maps... True story... When I first saw the price for Sports Chrono and thought it was for the "clock" on the dash -- and I said, "darn, that's a lot of $$ for a clock!"... Silly me.. The SportChrono does a lot of things. This from the book "Porsche Technology Glossary"..:
The Sport Chrono package -- including an analog and digital stopwatch located at the center of the dashboard -- provides simultaneous enhancement for the drivetrain and chassis. When 'SPORT PLUS' mode is selected, depending on the vehicle model and specification, a much more dynamic response to throttle pedal input occurs: the rev-limiter is adjusted to a harder setting and the engine management system adapts to performance driving. In SPORT PLUS mode, the intervention threshold of PSM is raised -- for a more natural response to lateral and longitudinal forces." ... yep, a lot more going on with SPORT and SPORT PLUS. The overrun's snaps-crackles and pops are enhanced from the "normal" mode. enjoy !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With respect to sound in Sport and Sport +/// yes, the SportChrono does have different engine maps... True story... When I first saw the price for Sports Chrono and thought it was for the "clock" on the dash -- and I said, "darn, that's a lot of $$ for a clock!"... Silly me.. The SportChrono does a lot of things. This from the book "Porsche Technology Glossary"..:
The Sport Chrono package -- including an analog and digital stopwatch located at the center of the dashboard -- provides simultaneous enhancement for the drivetrain and chassis. When 'SPORT PLUS' mode is selected, depending on the vehicle model and specification, a much more dynamic response to throttle pedal input occurs: the rev-limiter is adjusted to a harder setting and the engine management system adapts to performance driving. In SPORT PLUS mode, the intervention threshold of PSM is raised -- for a more natural response to lateral and longitudinal forces." ... yep, a lot more going on with SPORT and SPORT PLUS. The overrun's snaps-crackles and pops are enhanced from the "normal" mode. enjoy !
I didn’t think it was just my wishful thinking. It is amazing the difference the Sport + makes w/ the exhaust! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2014 Porsche Cayman S and did the install last month. I also love the sound. I opted for the valved version. I recommended anytime get the valved version because it is kinda annoying on long trips. Turning the exhaust off is very nice. It also integrated with the factory garage door openers making it a clean install. If the get the valved one, the directions will tell you to cut a small vacuum line. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CUT ANY FACTORY LINES. I discovered one of the lines going to a component and put the tee on it (see pic). There are no horsepower increases that I can tell. My only issue is the how my exhaust tips do not extend past the bumper (See pics). Can anyone tell why this is happening?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2014 Porsche Cayman S and did the install last month. I also love the sound. I opted for the valved version. I recommended anytime get the valved version because it is kinda annoying on long trips. Turning the exhaust off is very nice. It also integrated with the factory garage door openers making it a clean install. If the get the valved one, the directions will tell you to cut a small vacuum line. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CUT ANY FACTORY LINES. I discovered one of the lines going to a component and put the tee on it (see pic). There are no horsepower increases that I can tell. My only issue is the how my exhaust tips do not extend past the bumper (See pics). Can anyone tell why this is happening?
You should be able to loosen the clamps holding the chrome tips and slide them back further.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@mattylmbr hope you are enjoying your ride with the new exhaust. I have a question for you: do you think the sound of the exhaust is too much for a base (a little slow) car? My concern is, I often see few other cars, eg. Mustangs that sound loud but I don’t see them move as fast as they sound. I don’t want to be in the same league as those cars. I want a little match to the sound vs speed. If mine was a S I would not have this question, but mine is a Base manual. I know it’s subjective but she insights would help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should be able to loosen the clamps holding the chrome tips and slide them back further.
Its slid back as far as possible. I measured the chrome tip itself only and its 3.5 inches long. Mike form Soul Performance said I was most likely sent the wrong tip (718 vs 981).

·
Registered
12 Posts
@mattylmbr hope you are enjoying your ride with the new exhaust. I have a question for you: do you think the sound of the exhaust is too much for a base (a little slow) car? My concern is, I often see few other cars, eg. Mustangs that sound loud but I don’t see them move as fast as they sound. I don’t want to be in the same league as those cars. I want a little match to the sound vs speed. If mine was a S I would not have this question, but mine is a Base manual. I know it’s subjective but she insights would help.

Thanks!
I will give you my honest opinion. At times (Valve open and in sport mode), I think it's too much for the Cayman S. I still do it, since I paid for it. I did test drive the Base Cayman and there is a noticeable power difference. I would not recommend you put $3k into a base model. Please excuse me if that was harsh. But that is me being honest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will give you my honest opinion. At times (Valve open and in sport mode), I think it's too much for the Cayman S. I still do it, since I paid for it. I did test drive the Base Cayman and there is a noticeable power difference. I would not recommend you put $3k into a base model. Please excuse me if that was harsh. But that is me being honest.
No offense taken. That’s my point which I’m still contemplating, if I should spend anything more and if that makes any big difference. I already got some 20” Classic Carrera wheels. Thanks though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks!
@badaga and @jamesdthomas2 - interesting/funny question, and I can answer from my perspective.
First - if your ‘slow’ impression is strictly based on 0-60 performance, I guess you have answered your own question. That being said - my opinion is that the Boxster (even the base) is a ‘sports’ car, and deserves to sound like one. I went with the non-valved - so mine is definitely ‘loud’ in a normal basis, but it is significantly louder in sport and sport plus. I think it is a perfect tone for the car, and the perfect tone for a sports car - so - I have no regrets or reserves about the purchase, or the sound.
That being said - I would rather throw my ‘slow’ base model into corners all day, as opposed to a Mustang or other ‘faster’ cars.
My prior daily driver was a 2016 V60 Polestar with the the turbocharged straight 6 at 350HP and a 0-60 of around 4.5 seconds. Def a ‘faster’ car, but, the Boxster (base) is MUCH more of drivers car, a true sports car - and handles significantly better.

Hope that answers your question from my perspective. End of day - I love the exhaust and car - and - my next Porsche will be a GT4 or Spyder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@badaga and @jamesdthomas2 - interesting/funny question, and I can answer from my perspective.
First - if your ‘slow’ impression is strictly based on 0-60 performance, I guess you have answered your own question. That being said - my opinion is that the Boxster (even the base) is a ‘sports’ car, and deserves to sound like one. I went with the non-valved - so mine is definitely ‘loud’ in a normal basis, but it is significantly louder in sport and sport plus. I think it is a perfect tone for the car, and the perfect tone for a sports car - so - I have no regrets or reserves about the purchase, or the sound.
That being said - I would rather throw my ‘slow’ base model into corners all day, as opposed to a Mustang or other ‘faster’ cars.
My prior daily driver was a 2016 V60 Polestar with the the turbocharged straight 6 at 350HP and a 0-60 of around 4.5 seconds. Def a ‘faster’ car, but, the Boxster (base) is MUCH more of drivers car, a true sports car - and handles significantly better.

Hope that answers your question from my perspective. End of day - I love the exhaust and car - and - my next Porsche will be a GT4 or Spyder.
Agreed. My mention of ‘slow’ was not to say anything negative about the car. I love mine and enjoy it every time I take it to the backroads. I came from a 510hp RRS Dynamic but never regret selling that for my Base Cayman.
You did address my question and I believe that makes sense. Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just want to follow up with you all. Soul Performance sent me the correct exhaust tips by overnight mail for free. Now I am super happy. It is so nice to see excellent customer service. Thank you Soul Performance. Here are some pictures of the difference.

Since Soul Performance sent me these for free, I'd like to pay it forward. If anyone would like a set of the shorter tips (see picture with measuring tape), dm me a pic of your porsche, your name and address. First come first serve.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Pics are nice, but a video is much more in order on this thread please:)

I'm sure you enjoying your car much more now, I know I did when I installed an exhaust a few months ago!!

535 Posts
I just want to follow up with you all. Soul Performance sent me the correct exhaust tips by overnight mail for free. Now I am super happy. It is so nice to see excellent customer service. Thank you Soul Performance. Here are some pictures of the difference.

Since Soul Performance sent me these for free, I'd like to pay it forward. If anyone would like a set of the shorter tips (see picture with measuring tape), dm me a pic of your porsche, your name and address. First come first serve.

Thank you for understanding and letting us make it right for you! Glad to see you're happy! Thank you for paying it forward to another owner as well.

-Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts