Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those of us who drive 987.2 Caymans and Boxsters know that these cars are way too quiet and lack some of that growl that Porsches are known for.
So it has been a goal of mine to try and address this shortcoming in my 2010 Cayman Base.

I initially upgraded the catback exhaust with Carnewal GT modded Cayman R mufflers (by Cantrell). There was improvement in sound as a result but not as much as I was hoping for. I even contacted Gert Carnewal himself who advised to upgrade the tailpipe with a double T type, which I did, but again I was somewhat disappointed with the soundtrack. Upon discovering that 987.2 headers were a serious bottleneck to exhaust flow due to less than optimal design and having two cats in each manifold, I decided to replace them with something better. After much research and deliberation, I settled on Soul Long Tube Street Headers. The reasons I chose them are: a) High flow HJS 200-cell cats = proven performance and quality and no CEL b) Lifetime warranty (which covers track use too!) c) Excellent customer service - all my questions were answered promptly. Not too mention good feedback from other drivers and these headers look so damn good! I believe they are ceramic coated as well.

IMG_5348[1].JPG

Installation went smoothly without issues with any of the bolts, which was my main concern. Instructions provided are excellent with clear photos showing each step. I had a mechanic do the work while I watched. While the job is a good candidate for DYI, I would not recommend it unless you have access to a hoist.

Here is a clip showing a cold start and some revving. Does it sound good? You be the judge. I am planning to take more videos soon and will be adding them to this post ...

I haven't done much driving since the install. But my initial impressions are good, car seems to pull better especially at higher RPM.

Cheers!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Other 987.2 videos I have watch with headers all sound raspy. The cold start sounds great. I wonder if the cabin noise will become overly intrusive after a while. Appreciate an update after you've driven it for a month or more. I wasn't aware the 987.2 had dual cats on each side. I know the 987.1 does. Looking forward to your videos.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other 987.2 videos I have watch with headers all sound raspy. The cold start sounds great. I wonder if the cabin noise will become overly intrusive after a while. Appreciate an update after you've driven it for a month or more. I wasn't aware the 987.2 had dual cats on each side. I know the 987.1 does. Looking forward to your videos.
The factory exhaust design difference between 987.1 and 987.2 is that the former has one cat in each header and one in each muffler, while the latter has two in each header and none in the mufflers.

Since the upgrade I've only driven the car on city roads and the cabin sound has been great. Less of a vacuum cleaner noise and more of a Porsche wail. I definitely feel the car is more eager to accelerate.

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Nice post and of particularly timely interest to me.

I have a 2012 Cayman R on which I had Cantrell in Seattle do Geert's GT exhaust mod back in January 2012, shortly after I had taken delivery of the car (there's a before and after video on YouTube - search for "Cayman R GT exhaust") - the sound in the clip is similar to what your's sounds like, but I still have the factory headers which, on the R, are different from those on the Cayman S. Nonetheless, I'm very tempted by those Soul Performance headers not least for the HJS 200 cell cats....as I have an IPD Competition Plenum and GT3 throttle body waiting for the snow to melt and temperatures to rise so they can be installed.

540 Posts
Thank you again for choosing us and making this thread! Glad you are happy!

I have a 2012 Cayman R on which I had Cantrell in Seattle do Geert's GT exhaust mod back in January 2012, shortly after I had taken delivery of the car (there's a before and after video on YouTube - search for "Cayman R GT exhaust") - the sound in the clip is similar to what your's sounds like, but I still have the factory headers which, on the R, are different from those on the Cayman S. Nonetheless, I'm very tempted by those Soul Performance headers not least for the HJS 200 cell cats....as I have an IPD Competition Plenum and GT3 throttle body waiting for the snow to melt and temperatures to rise so they can be installed.
I'm tempted to chat with you, answer any questions that you may have, and offer you Planet 9 pricing. :)

-Mike S

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You will notice a lot more improvement from Soul headers than from Carnewal mod. The Carnewal mod is more effective on 987.1 cars since it deletes secondary cats in the mufflers. I am pretty sure that 987.2 R headers still have two cats in each manifold, and so replacing them with a single high flow 200 cell unit is a huge improvement. You won't regret getting Soul headers.
They are very well made, I think their engineers learned from the various products on the market and came up with optimal solution.

540 Posts
You will notice a lot more improvement from Soul headers than from Carnewal mod. The Carnewal mod is more effective on 987.1 cars since it deletes secondary cats in the mufflers. I am pretty sure that 987.2 R headers still have two cats in each manifold, and so replacing them with a single high flow 200 cell unit is a huge improvement. You won't regret getting Soul headers.
They are very well made, I think their engineers learned from the various products on the market and came up with optimal solution.
Thank you for the kind words!

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Well, I'm a day away from placing my order for a set of Soul Performance LTSH's - my initial inclination was to go for Carnewal's Sport Manifolds (modified OEM manifolds with 200 cell HJS cats) but shipping costs to return my manifolds and recover the core charge eroded the value of that option - at the suggestion of another member, I contacted Soul Performance. I would expect to pick up my headers at my U.S. mail drop in a week or two then wait for snow to melt. The full deal installation that will follow will combine an IPD Competition plenum, GT3 throttle body, Soul Performance Long Street Headers, and Carnewal GT Exhaust. Now if the snow could just melt....

Reactions: olegd

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Singletrack, you won't regret it! The R in your Cayman R will stand for Rocket after these mods!

I too am waiting for warmer weather. While there is no snow on the ground in Toronto currently, the temperature is around freezing mark. I've been driving my Cayman regularly, however can't work on it as its too damn cold in the garage. I have a couple things on the list, like bleeding brakes, replacing rotors and installing a new front spoiler.

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Here's of course, it's more than warmer weather....four more days until my summer tires are legal on Québec roads again, then I need 7°C or warmer to have at least a little adhesion. One of the other issues I had with the Carnewal exchange is that my car has rarely seen rain, and been snowed on only once (the day I cleared it through Canada Customs) so my undercarriage is pretty much as tidy as the day I took delivery of the car.

IMG_2555.JPG

January 2017 - Montréal/Dorval Sufferance warehouse - picking up the Exocet after clearing customs - I'd shipped the car in a closed carrier from AZ, but it endured two days and freezing rain in a razor wire fenced enclosure until I paid the (substantial) duties and taxes. Then it had to be transported 100km to my home.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,827 Posts
Well, I'm a day away from placing my order for a set of Soul Performance LTSH's - my initial inclination was to go for Carnewal's Sport Manifolds (modified OEM manifolds with 200 cell HJS cats) but shipping costs to return my manifolds and recover the core charge eroded the value of that option - at the suggestion of another member, I contacted Soul Performance. I would expect to pick up my headers at my U.S. mail drop in a week or two then wait for snow to melt. The full deal installation that will follow will combine an IPD Competition plenum, GT3 throttle body, Soul Performance Long Street Headers, and Carnewal GT Exhaust. Now if the snow could just melt....
Might I suggest a Softronic tune, to realize the power gains from all of the hardware mods?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Might I suggest a Softronic tune, to realize the power gains from all of the hardware mods?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
With all due respect to Softronic, I've never been a fan of mail order ECU upgrades. Had one bad experience and that was enough.

Reactions: BeemaaP

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
I'm so excited! My headers have shipped from Soul Performance and will arrive at my New York state mail drop tomorrow. These guys really are true to their word. Stuff is in stock and ships fast. Planning to make the trip on Monday for my 10 minute visit to the U.S. and bring those babies back....now a word to the weather gods....you can start melting this stuff any time you're ready....

Snowfall - 1.jpg

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Caught a bit of luck this morning. I went to my local Porsche/Ferrari/Maserati/Lambo guy to book an appointment for early April - he's got about 80 high end cars in his underground garage and spring means he's incredibly busy getting those serviced and out. Well, he had an opening today because it was so cold (-11°C) and asked if I could get my car in. Drove the Macan home, pulled the cover off the Cayman, went online to take my registration out of storage status and called the insurance company to let them know. Car is now in his shop and should be ready sometime on Friday.

Can't wait!

:banana:

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Cheers! Can't wait to get your feedback!

-Mike S
I will certainly let you know. My guy looked at the headers and frowned before telling me (in French) that "these things are always a pain to fit..." - so we'll see what he says after he's installed yours. He did go on to mumble something about "you guys and your plenums...." also, so don't feel singled out. ;-)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will certainly let you know. My guy looked at the headers and frowned before telling me (in French) that "these things are always a pain to fit..." - so we'll see what he says after he's installed yours. He did go on to mumble something about "you guys and your plenums...." also, so don't feel singled out. ;-)
They say that so that afterwards they can charge you three hours labor and say, I warned you its a pain to fit!
But seriously, the headers were extremely easy to install. Especially for me, since I was just watching my mechanic do the work :) Took about an hour once the car was hoisted up.

540 Posts
Yikes, what other brands is he putting on - tell him to call us, ha! Our headers themselves go on like butter but sometimes the factory hardware can cause issues - snapping or seizing due to rust. Best wishes!

-Mike

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Yikes, what other brands is he putting on - tell him to call us, ha! Our headers themselves go on like butter but sometimes the factory hardware can cause issues - snapping or seizing due to rust. Best wishes!

-Mike
I was called in to "consult" an hour or so ago. The Soul Performance Long Tube Street Headers did indeed go in LIKE BUTTER! They lifted the car to show me. They are both pleased and impressed....the IPD Competition Plenum however...is proving to be a headache. We are struggling with what to do with the second actuator since the IPD product only uses one. I wish IPD were as responsive as Soul Performance has been....

I should have taken pics...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts