Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
All the bits are installed now and so far, no CEL's. As I said, the headers went on without any issues at all. The IPD plenum and GT3 TB were more challenging, but they got those bits installed also...eventually. Thankfully, my guys are "only" $82 CAD an hour....

So.....I've only driven it very carefully the 20 kilometres back to my home - at an outside temperature of 0°C (32°F) my big wide summer tires, particularly on the rear, were not particularly grippy. So I have not yet had the opportunity to give the car the "spirited" driving needed to allow the ECU to adapt. However, the sound is amazing. I will provide video, but it's going to be a couple of weeks at least. The car is certainly louder and from what I've heard with the window down, more throaty, raspier (Etymologists in the room...back off!) and some popping on engine braking. As to any improvement in performance, that will at least require the ECU adaptation to occur and perhaps a tune is in order. I did send a message to Softronic a few days ago, but have not heard back.

To recap - My Cayman R now has an IPD Competition Plenum, GT3 TB, Soul Performance Long Tube Street Headers and a Carnewal GT Exhaust. Pretty much a variation on the theme olegd has on his Cayman S.

Who knows, maybe this summer we'll meet up in Kingston or something, scare dogs and small children to the delight of petrol heads everywhere. :cheers:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I am glad it worked out! You should definitely feel more power without ECU tuning. I never touched the ECU in my car and I am not planning to. Since you were driving gently, you probably didn't get into the higher RPM necessary to feel the extra power from your mods. Indeed the sound, especially at higher RPM is great. I can't help but stay on the gas a little too long, and next thing I know I am way over the speed limit :)

"Who knows, maybe this summer we'll meet up in Kingston or something, scare dogs and small children to the delight of petrol heads everywhere. " - Lol, Yes, I'd like that! You are also welcome to come to Mosport. It's an amazing place to drive the Caymans!

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Finally got the car out for a drive longer than 8 km. This time I took a drive toward Montreal for lunch just outside the city with my wife. Her assessment? "I hate this car. It's too loud". I consider that an endorsement.

The combination of the Soul Performance Long Tube Street headers and GT Exhaust is amazing in terms of sound. Add to this the IPD Competition Plenum and GT3 TB and the car feel like it's in Sport Mode when it's in "normal" mode. Hmmm....starting to wonder what Sport Plus will feel like now. The exhaust is throaty, with burbles and pops on downshifts. The throttle feels more responsive (like I said, feels like it's in sport mode) but I admit I'm still holding back. This time of year, there is still a small amount of grit on the roads, even if they are dry, and I'll easily spin between gears if I accelerate too hard. The 120 km of today's run should have completed the adaptation of the ECU to the new induction components and the throttle body. I had been cautioned by a representative of an ECU tuning sponsor of this site that I would very likely get a CEL from the plenum and end up having my car fall into limp mode earning me a tow home. Did not happen.

The sound of my Carnewal GT Exhaust would certainly turn heads when I drove by....the new exhaust is everything that was turned up to 11. The exhaust note seems to be saying "Are we at the track yet?".

Okay....so I am going to need a sound clip. I still want a bit more miles on the engine and then I'll have something to post. Suffice it to say, I am extremely pleased with the results of the whole suite of modifications now put together on my car.....not least those Soul Performance headers. The headers really seem to pay out the dividend promised in the plenum and TB installation.

Drone? I can't tell - it's a Cayman R. Between tire noise and road noise you don't hear much in there at speed. I did not discern anything unpleasant....

Power? No, I'm not going to have the car dyno'd - it's probably faster, but I fail to see how having a piece of paper makes any difference if you lack the skills to exploit it at the track. I don't have those skills....I'm still in (HPDE) school.

Bottom line? A car I have always absolutely loved just feels and sounds better than it did before. That works for me.

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Here's a sound bite from today's Rennsport Ground School outside Montreal. More to come as the weather improves. In this video I was struggling with some wheel spin as I accelerated for a threshold braking exercise. Car sounds pretty good. Later through, in the afternoon, the weather dried up and we got on the track. The sound is incredible.

Reactions: Arch

·
Registered
576 Posts
Rehashing this thread.

Any long term updates on the Soul 200 cell headers? Sound, power, drone, CEL etc?

Still running them or?

Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am still running them and still enjoying my car! There is a bit of drone around 2200 rpm but I am quite used to it. I had a stage 2 tune done after installing the headers as I did get the CEL. The tune made a positive impact on performance and you really need it to take full advantage of exhaust mods.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts