Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't help but be a bit paranoid from things I've read on this board and other places about IMS's failing. Well, while driving back from lunch earlier I heard my car making a noise when I was idling at a traffic light. It sounded like a penny bouncing around in a tin can and was coming from the back of the car.

Could this be my IMS going out or am I just being super paranoid and it's something minor? The noise doesn't get louder with increased engine speed. It might even go away, or is just drown out by the increased engine sound.

Anyone please offer some insight/advice please??!! My heart is literally pounding out of my chest right now. :helpme::helpme::helpme:

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Could be the water pump. Pull the cover behind the seats to try and get a better idea of the location of the sound.

·
Registered
118 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't help but be a bit paranoid from things I've read on this board and other places about IMS's failing. Well, while driving back from lunch earlier I heard my car making a noise when I was idling at a traffic light. It sounded like a penny bouncing around in a tin can and was coming from the back of the car.

Could this be my IMS going out or am I just being super paranoid and it's something minor? The noise doesn't get louder with increased engine speed. It might even go away, or is just drown out by the increased engine sound.

Anyone please offer some insight/advice please??!! My heart is literally pounding out of my chest right now. :helpme::helpme::helpme:
Boiler that's almost exactly what mine sounds like!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Boiler that's almost exactly what mine sounds like!
I would drain the oil and look in the oil canister. Mine looked like someone dumped a bottle of glitter in it :(

I know someone that can rebuild the motor for you (my Dad).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well you're in Texas so that would be difficult, haha.

I'm uploading a video to Youtube (from my phone) right now. Will link/insert when it's finished. Upon a second listen it's not quite as loud or distinct as your engine sound, but it does seem to grow louder the longer it idles/warms up.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be the water pump. Pull the cover behind the seats to try and get a better idea of the location of the sound.
Water pump was replaced at 55,000 miles so I doubt that is it. Still possible I suppose.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
sorry wolfpack, but those two clips sound very similar... how many miles on the engine? was it ever tracked?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes Wolfpack, it's sounds very similar to mine, and regardless it's making a noise it should not be making. My Dad lives in North Carolina; I'm the nomad on my latest adventure out here in TX.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^Previous owner track the car; I hadn't taken her to the track yet. 68,000 miles.

^once I figure out a diagnosis I may want to contact your dad...where in NC?

·
Registered
574 Posts
He's in Hickory, and we went down this road summer of 2013, a few months after I purchased my Cayman. We pulled the transmission, clutch, inspected the IMS bearing and confirmed it was well on its way out. Dropped the engine and did the rebuild. He fabricated all of the tools necessary for engine disassembly/reassembly.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took the car over to have a buddy look at her. He's a former Porsche mechanic, certified PCA track instructor, and has rebuilt 3 911 engines (1 a 996). He's very confident that my problem is an accessory drive bearing, and not the IMS. Power steering pump or alternator maybe. After making this diagnosis we went out for a drive and he flogged it a bit.

Hopefully I was just being paranoid.:banana:

Still, going to remove the engine covers in a day or two and try to localize the sound.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hopefully that is the case. There's nothing wrong with being vigilant with regards to the noises these M97 engines make.

·
Registered
12 Posts
my water pump failing sound was a squeaking sound instead of rattling. guess they sometimes fail in different ways...

·
Registered
421 Posts
This is the tapping noise I get, which I've been told is normal. However it's in time with the engine rpm's, so I don't believe it's the same noise you are hearing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts