Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel that my sound package plus is a bit flat so i decided to upgrade the speakers.
I replace the rear ones with Focal 4" midranges from 165 A3. The tweeters and door midranges are replaced with Focal Integration 100 VRS I left the woofers and center dash 3" midranrange untouched. The installation is not too hard, but since this is my first time taking this car apart , it took me a very long time. The rear ones are pain in the butt because essentially, all trim pieces from the seat rearward have to be removed. i also did not have custom brackets and had to drill holes to accomodate the new Focals.The door panels are easy to disassemble and speaker replacement is easy. The tweeters are behind the dash vents. They are easy to get to, but the housing needs to be modified to hold the new tweeters securely in place. I end up using epoxy to secure the tweeters in place.

I initially did not use the crossovers supplied by Focal.this turned out to be a bad move. The stock tweeters have built in crossovers to filter out mid and low frequencies; replacing the tweeters without using crossovers essentially turn the tweeters in to tiny full range speakers which sound horrible. Without the crossovers, the tweeters are too loud and muddy. Music came out poorly balanced and lacked definition. My next project is to install the crossovers between the amp and the tweeters. Thanks to Wizard263789, i found the amp under passenger seat. The seat is easy to remove, but the amp is under the carpet. i make a small cut to expose it completely instead of going through the trouble of removing trim pieces and carpeting. I then route each tweeter output wires to a crossover input and output to the tweeters. obviously, there is a crossover for each tweeter.

The crossover made tremendous difference. The music now come to live and much more clear and smooth. Since i cannot compare my OEM system with the upgraded one back to back, it's hard to say how much improvement there is. I feel classical music sound more silky and clear, but some of this could be placebo.

Is it worth it? It's hard to say. I spend $600 on speakers, but hours installing them. I think there is some improvement, but i doubt there is a lot, considering the head unit, woofers, and amp are still stock. If one doe not enjoy working on cars, this is not a worthwhile mod.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thank you for the candid assessment.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Is there a particular reason you didn't just opt for the upgrade audio from the factory?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not an audiophile and couldn't justify purchasing the factor upgrades. I had my rear half of the car taken apart to install reverse camera and back up sensors, so i thought it would be a good time to swap out the speakers. My current system is fine for my audio taste and requirement. Maybe an audiophile can appreciate more improvement with speaker swap, but my point was that the upgrade may be too much work for little gain for the average listener.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You said you replaced the rears with 4" midranges. What was back there to start with? Another cheap 4" driver? Do you have any pictures of the install? thanks in advance for any other info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts