Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I am new member to P-9, but I have appreciated this forum as a very helpful source in my 987 Boxster ownership. As such, I wanted to share my latest upgrade.

My passanger door woofer finally kicked the bucket, so I was in need of a replacement. Instead of using MDF to create a whole new bracket, I preferred to keep it as close to stock as possible, but with a better speaker. After ordering some JBL 6.5 components and doing a bit of research, I settled on making an additional adapter ring to join the 6.5 to the factory speaker housing/bracket. I chose HDPE as my material, as it won't rot, it's rigid, and is easy to cut with a jig saw. FYI, HDPE is also known as cutting board material, which you can get from Walmart for $0.88 each. ? I also used some sound deadening material on the ring. This acted as an insulator to prevent vibration/rattles.

Here is a quick diagram, mid phase pic and the completed look. I am very happy with the result and the improved sound. I hope this can be helpful to others as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do the drawing. My 9 yr old speakers are sounding very distorted so I plan on tackling this soon. I haven't taken anything apart yet so I appreciate the pics. I assume the "cutting board" material is just to reduce the diameter of the OEM grill opening while providing something solid to screw the new speakers into. Does the board thickness cause any issues? I assume the board you used is about .5" thick. I see on Amazon that the material is available in 1/8, 1/4. and 1/2 inch thickness.

BTW, I couldn't find any similar cutting boards on Walmart's website for anywhere near that.. Was that 88 cents a WAG? Just want to get some similar material to work with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to do the drawing. My 9 yr old speakers are sounding very distorted so I plan on tackling this soon. I haven't taken anything apart yet so I appreciate the pics. I assume the "cutting board" material is just to reduce the diameter of the OEM grill opening while providing something solid to screw the new speakers into. Does the board thickness cause any issues? I assume the board you used is about .5" thick. I see on Amazon that the material is available in 1/8, 1/4. and 1/2 inch thickness.

BTW, I couldn't find any similar cutting boards on Walmart's website for anywhere near that.. Was that 88 cents a WAG? Just want to get some similar material to work with.
Hi, sorry for the delay. You are correct, the purpose of the cutting board material is to reduce the diameter of the ~8 inch speaker opening to one that can be used with a 6.5" speaker. The cutting board material is approx. 0.3 inches thick, and it caused no interference, and you could probably go thicker if needed.

I checked Walmart online as well, and it says the item is available in store only, but I checked a few zip codes around the country and it looks to be available in most stores (Price from $1.88 to $0.88. I also took a picture of the price tag while at the store this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Hi, sorry for the delay. You are correct, the purpose of the cutting board material is to reduce the diameter of the ~8 inch speaker opening to one that can be used with a 6.5" speaker. The cutting board material is approx. 0.3 inches thick, and it caused no interference, and you could probably go thicker if needed.

I checked Walmart online as well, and it says the item is available in store only, but I checked a few zip codes around the country and it looks to be available in most stores (Price from $1.88 to $0.88. I also took a picture of the price tag while at the store this weekend.
Thanks. I used an inventory checker and found it was in stock for $0.88 at every walmart within 25 miles. Brickseek.com - SKU 51727075. I'll pick up a couple tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Off-topic since I don't have SPP (base Cayman w/ standard sound package). But I thought I'd follow-up. My woofers were blown. Bass sounded like my cloths dryer with rocks in it.

Last weekend I finally got around to replacing the speakers. I bought those $.88 cutting boards from Walmart a couple weeks ago and ordered some Rockford Fosgate R165X3 (6.5" 3-way speakers) from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6HWCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I chose those since they were inexpensive
($40), had good reviews, and I thought 3-way would help makeup for the standard package's lack of a mid-range speaker. I know I could of bought a pair of 4" mid-range speakers, but I didn't want to deal with the mounting and wasn't sure if I'd need cross-overs. The 3-way takes care of everything. I'm no audiophile. The car is noisy and I just wanted clean sound a little better than stock.

On the first door (passenger) I had a hell-of-a-time getting the door panel off and managed to break most of the clips. And in pulling, broke loose the map-pocket from the panel backing. BTW, I found replacement door clips on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D98W3XH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and, since I broke so many on the 1st door I ordered a pack of 30. (30 count was only a couple $ more than 10). Good thing too because I also broke a bunch of the replacements until I figured how to get everything aligned before pounding the panel back into place. But I digress.

I was pleased and surprised to find that my RockfordFosgate R165-3 were a direct replacement for the OEM speakers. Exactly the same diameter and even the mounting screw posts in the Porsche grill aligned with the speaker's holes. So now my wife has a few extra cutting boards :)

Having learned from the 1st door, I managed to do the job on the 2nd door and only broke one clip. I found most of the broken clips seemed to stick to the door frame and, even with the panel gone, required lots of work to loosen and remove. No wonder the panels didn't want to let-go.

But all is back together now and I'm pleased with the sound. I need to fiddle with the EQ on my Pioneer Z110BT now to get things balanced the way I like. Since I left the in-dash tweeters, when combined with the tweeters in my 3-way speakers, the highs are a little too overpowering. But noticeably cleaner. The bass response is good coupled with my old powered sub behind the passenger seat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I have a ton of questions, You are one of the only recent posters with the SPP (like me!)

The lowers are really 8" woofers? As in, they fit a full 8" sub, and you had to adjust them to fit in a 6.5 component speaker?

If so, I have a few questions:

1. How did you power the new speakers? Did you replace the old front amp? When you wired it, did you just use the wiring and connections provided for the current amp? (Thse is obviously what I want to do and am hoping will work!)

2. Did you keep the rear speakers, or disconnect them?

3. Did you install an additional subwoofer?

4. How does your overall system sound?

This setup has so many damn configurations possible, in my brain, and I don't know how I want to set it up!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The door woofers are 8", but there is only about 2.5" of depth available. The amp depends on which system you have in your car either Bose or non Bose. I have only installed a Kenwood HU and wire harness adapter for my bose system. I'm in the process of obtaining Morel Virtus 3 way components and using an Audio control 2.300 2 channel amp. My plan is to change my current low level line inputs to rear, plug in a set of RCA's to the front channels. run those down to the new amp, send the power to the 3 way crossover, use the existing wires to the woofer and door speaker, add a new wire for the tweeters and see what happens. It is my hope the rear speakers and the sub will continue to work with the Bose Amp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, first time posting here.

I'm building a budget system for my son's Boxster (987) the car came with an aftermarket head unit and its a non-Bose car. His main request is bass! We have a giant kicker box that was gifted to me but it doesn't fit anywhere but fill the entire frunk.

I've been searching a few days for 987 Boxster subwoofer options and I'm taking the easy route (maybe) to fit 8" bass driver in the front door. I know it will not be as good as a dedicated sub box. My search hasn't been fruitful. Most of the info is outdated. Some customer audio shops have 5yr old videos with custom made adapters, but nothing recent.

Only 1 enthusiast posted an 8" install back in 2012 (6speedonline), he used a Pioneer shallow depth 8" sub "SW841D", but ended up cutting some of the door metal... I want to avoid this. Since this install, I found newer Pioneer 8" with narrower speaker opening requirement of 7.05" vs. 7.23"(I think). not sure if this is enough to avoid cutting. I would complete the system with 4" midrange and small dash tweeters. I have a powerful enough of an amp to drive them all (Alpine PDX-V9).

Any thoughts or leads?

By the way, I have not removed the door panels to measure of see if the previous owner installed aftermarket speakers, but as they are the syttem sounds horrible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys, first time posting here.

I'm building a budget system for my son's Boxster (987) the car came with an aftermarket head unit and its a non-Bose car. His main request is bass! We have a giant kicker box that was gifted to me but it doesn't fit anywhere but fill the entire frunk.

I've been searching a few days for 987 Boxster subwoofer options and I'm taking the easy route (maybe) to fit 8" bass driver in the front door. I know it will not be as good as a dedicated sub box. My search hasn't been fruitful. Most of the info is outdated. Some customer audio shops have 5yr old videos with custom made adapters, but nothing recent.

Only 1 enthusiast posted an 8" install back in 2012 (6speedonline), he used a Pioneer shallow depth 8" sub "SW841D", but ended up cutting some of the door metal... I want to avoid this. Since this install, I found newer Pioneer 8" with narrower speaker opening requirement of 7.05" vs. 7.23"(I think). not sure if this is enough to avoid cutting. I would complete the system with 4" midrange and small dash tweeters. I have a powerful enough of an amp to drive them all (Alpine PDX-V9).

Any thoughts or leads?

By the way, I have not removed the door panels to measure of see if the previous owner installed aftermarket speakers, but as they are the syttem sounds horrible.

A little less than two years ago I installed an Infinity BassLink SM 8” subwoofer in my 2008 Boxster. This is in conjunction with an Alpine ILX-007, Apple Carplay head unit with a dedicated subwoofer output, as most aftermarket head units have today. It sits vertically behind the passenger seat. After setting the phase, crossover and level, it definitely added a decent band of lower frequencies that weren’t there before. If I turn off the input to the sub, the difference is night and day. This subwoofer isn’t going to provide bass that rattles peoples windows a quarter mile away, but ask any audiophile and they’ll tell you that’s not what quality audio is about anyway. The subwoofer should blend in the lower frequencies your other speakers aren’t outputting and do it without overpowering them. That’s exactly what you get with this one. If he wants to make small animals run for cover and turn his internal organs into jelly, then you might still have to consider a different route.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts