Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After blowing out 2 mids and a woofer in my new (used) Boxster, I'm thinking about just upgrading the system.
I'm not sure if I should just get OEM mids and upgraded woofers, full OEM (so just replace with same), or try to overhaul the entire system. The main issue is that I can’t find good options for the door speakers as most sets just come with a woofer and a tweeter.
Any advice would be appreciated! Honestly I'm no audiophile, so OEM with some more bass is more than enough for me, and I'm already looking at upgrading the amplifier.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You don't mention the year of your 987 - but if it's 10 years old or so, or has been driven in a consistently hot climate, what you hear as blown speakers is probably deteriorated foam surround on the diaphragm. This is fixable.. you'd have to find the size you need (measuring the current ones) then do a search on eBay (most foam kits I've found are there), then do the work. That may be the only answer for the mids - although it might be worth searching sites like: Hi-Fi Woofers, Subwoofers, Midranges & Tweeters - Parts Express 4.5" Replacement Speaker Full Range, Mid Range, Paper Cone, Cloth Edge, 8 Ohm, F-701 Car Speakers | Wholesale Car Audio Distributor

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently overhauled the entire system. Depending how far you TRULY want to go with it why not a head unit and a 2way? or get some decent coaxials and mids in the door?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts