Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CR has seen 50-60 track days in the last three seasons. The rear brake calipers have browned enough to justify a rebuild / refinish. I noticed that the coating on the pistons is flaking off rather heavily, especially where the caliper seals contact the piston. There's no point in replacing the seals because the uneven piston surface is going to kill those seals quickly enough.

Does anyone have a source for replacement brake pistons?

As a last resort, I've reached out to a local machine shop about having new pistons machined. In the event no source for new pistons is available, how much interest, if any, is there in replacement pistons for the *rear* calipers? (No issues with the front that I'm aware of. But then again, I haven't pulled them apart for rebuild just yet.)

If the minimum shop run for the two piston sizes is less than a set of replacement calipers, it may be worth having them made...

Any input is appreciated.

thanks

sean

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Sean,

Contact Zeckhausen racing or Paragon products. I know that you can get pistons from them. Fellow forum member rebuilt his calipers that way. Info on this on Cayman Register.

FWIW, replacing the dust boots when they tear will help to prevent piston damage (and the stock ones tear very quickly on the track). Centric makes high temp dust boots (gray but THIN) that you can get from Zeckhausen, Partsgeek, others.

And I'd rebuild front calipers as well if you've done that many track days without replacing dust boots, i.e. your front pistons are likely heavily scored as well.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had the same issue and chatting to the local Porsche Race Shop that does all of my work here in Sydney they said why re-build? Just buy a set of calipers instead...so I did. Changing the pistons still leaves the overheated metal of the actual caliper body. They said they prefer to bolt in new ones. You get a better result in the end.

I saved some $$$ by buying 2nd hand but immaculate ones. They were $400 off eBay (plenty for sale) but looks brand new in every way. It's a million times better than the ones I had that were trashed with no seals left at all and very brown. The colour now is so much redder than the fronts which also look a little sorry for themselves once the rears were installed. New seals and pistons plus labour is a similar price but it leaves the old calipers.

Just another very simple option for you to consider - Bolt in, bleed and away you go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, vetman. Looks like I should be able to rebuild calipers for 1/4 the cost of new. (Plus powder coating.)

All this time I've been looking for replacement Brembo pistons. Who would've thought that StopTech's pistons are identical (where it counts) in dimension to the Brembo pistons? I'm thinking StopTech's 29.5mm long pistons should work just fine in place of the 30mm long Brembo pistons.

Piston Size Matrix

Thanks again. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help.

sean

·
Registered
864 Posts
+1 for Zeckhausen and Stoptech. Their pistons match Brembo diameters but they come in a tall and short height. Measure height you need so they know which to ship. If I remember correctly I'd needed a different height between front and rear. They also offer a more heat resistant dust seal. I haven't tried it but will next time. I did find some 951 Brembo pistons but their height was not quite correct, used them anyway.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Thanks, vetman. Looks like I should be able to rebuild calipers for 1/4 the cost of new. (Plus powder coating.)

All this time I've been looking for replacement Brembo pistons. Who would've thought that StopTech's pistons are identical (where it counts) in dimension to the Brembo pistons? I'm thinking StopTech's 29.5mm long pistons should work just fine in place of the 30mm long Brembo pistons.

Piston Size Matrix

Thanks again. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help.

sean
You're very welcome. Glad I could help, and thanks for the kind words. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts