Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Thursday afternoon my wife and I packed up the Cayman and headed to Zion's National Park from northern Utah with the hope of experiencing a little advance on spring weather. This was our first trip in the Porsche and at least one of us was really looking forward to it. The drive down was uneventful, the CS rode great and was reasonably quiet. I was especially pleased with the gas mileage--in 300+ miles, two-thirds of that driven at 80-85 mph, the car returned a little more than 27 mpg.
Friday was glorius at Zion's, blue skies temps in the low 60's and some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. We hiked in spring weather most the day. Saturday dawned cloudy, as expected, and after a morning hike and lunch the rain came turning to snow later that afternoon. No problem we headed indoors and did the visitor center thing and watched a movie. That night we switched on the news and and learned that a major winter storm was brewing for southern Utah and expected for Sunday morning--just in time for our planned return home. We had been expecting a chance of rain for Sunday but not a major storm.
Sunday morning we kept track of the forecast for when and where the snow would fall and finally left our hotel for home expecting that we would drive north on I-15 just behind the passing storm. As we pulled on the freeway there was a flashing sign warning of winter weather for the next 230 miles (gulp). We stopped in Cedar City to fill the tank and grab some food to have in the car, just in case, and headed north on wet roads with a little slush here and there and temps just below freezing. Things were fine until we got just north of Beaver, Utah where the brunt of the storm had hit. Our timing was good, the storm had already passed through, but there are two mountain passes there of 6,500'-6,600' that had worried us the most--and for good reason. Several inches of snow had fallen in the hour or two prior to our arrival and though most had been pushed off there was still plenty of packed patches and slush. In addition there were couple stretches where the wind had drifted the snow back on the road allowing for just one lane of travel. On top of that the tempurature had fallen a few degrees as well. For 30-40 miles it was pretty intense driving, particularly in a car with summer performance tires. In that stretch we saw four or five cars that had slid off into the median, including one that went off not far ahead of us. I was pretty concerned and very focused but in spite of a couple wiggles here and there, honestly the car handled the conditions with aplomb. Thankfully it wasn't cold enough to have frozen, truly slippery conditions--had that been the case we would have simply stopped and spent the night and driven home Monday. Further north and conditions improved to the point that I cranked the speed back up to 80-85 and cruised home in the dirtiest Cayman S in the intermountain area. By the way, posted speed limits on I-15 through central and southern Utah are 75-80 mph so I wasn't wantonly speeding just doing the Utah creep of 4-5 mph above.
I write this because I so enjoyed driving the Cayman on a trip, it's stable, comfortable and just eats up the miles--with the bonus of being pretty economical. On top of that it handled the adverse conditions of snowy roads extremely well, never putting a wheel wrong as it carried us home. I'm just glad we weren't driving right in the middle of storm. Finally, my wife ended up also enjoying the car for the trip, she felt comfortable and secure the whole time and is ready for our next trip.
Cheers,
BW

PS--There are a couple tunnels at Zion's and the SpeedART exhaust sounds marvelous!:banana:

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Brave man with summer tires in those conditions! Glad you made it home safely. Maybe I'm being too paronoid that summer tires will give you no traction on snow/ice.

I take it the new speedART sound was reasonable during cruising speeds?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete,
Thanks. I actually hardly gave the exhaust a thought, it just burbled along and was not intrusive at all. On the occasion that I would crack the throttle a little more to get through traffic it was just a nice sports car sound but never overbearing and it never illicited a peep from my wife (except through the tunnels where she agreed they were great pipes). Terrific system.
BW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.