Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today TPC finished by Sparco Evo 2 Pro seats install. Did not go as planned. BeforeI went to TPC, I spoke with Russ the design engineer at Brey Krause, to verify that the side mounts that they sell would work, as designed, with my 06 CS. He assured me they would, so the purchase was made.

After the seats were removed, and the sliders exposed, it became obvious that the passenger side seat mounts from Brey Krause did not line up with the bolts on the sliders. Russ was called and he admitted that maybe some drilling would be needed. So much for the side mounts fitting. TPC had to drill two holes to make the side mounts work. Since it is harden steel a colbolt drill bit had to be used. The first additional expense because of Brey Krause.

The driver seat was even worse. Their design was so far off the only way, to get them to work was to install 996 seat rails, at a cool $132.00 each. Lucky for me Mike had some from his race car, as there are none in country. With the install of the 996 rails the seat install was completed.

So please do not believe that the parts that are sold by Brey Krause for seat install in a CS will work. I contacted Russ concerning this problem, and was told that I must have a different production slider than other 06 CS's. That was it. Not what I would call great customer service, he did offer to refund the money for the side mounts, but this was done after he knew that we had all ready installed them.

I can not understand how or why a company would sell parts knowing that they would not fit as designed without modifactions. The lack of integrity on the part of Brey Krause speaks volumes.

Brey Krause never again!

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Brey-Kraus advertise on their website (until recently I trust as we called and pointed out their error) that the same seat mounts work with Cobra seats on an 07 Cayman S. Same issue you had, they simply do not and we also replaced my sliders. A lot of additional expense in time and parts to get it all to work.

However I will say their truss bar is very nice and fits perfectly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean, not the best run company, they need to understand "truth in advertising."

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I purchased a set of seat mounts from them once. As soon as I opened the box and looked at the parts I could see it wasn't gong to work without a bunch of work. I called and explained the issue and was told this was the way they were manufactured. I still have all 4 unused side mounts in my garage as a reminder to never order from them again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got my local shop to install some Evo 2 seats into my Cayman S, as well. I went with the Sparco base, slider, and seat mounts, and they required quite a bit of fabrication to get the side mounts spaced properly (apparently they're not designed to sit on the slider). After all that work, though, the seat fits... but is so crammed into the space that it won't slide (nearly hits the door and is wedged against the center console... pretty much the same on the passenger side). Did you have any such issues or do you have enough space?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I know they're expensive, but the GT3 seats and mounts from Suncoast bolt right in. I swap them out with OEM when there is more than a month between track events. (I do have to go to the dealer to get the air bag programing changed each time I switch $50)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The seat is tight against the console but still can get the seat belt in slot when driving on public streets. Sliding the seat is ok, little tight on console but moves ok. Started racing spec miatas so much more fun than de days, and if you wreck a race prepared Miata is only 9000.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Today TPC finished by Sparco Evo 2 Pro seats install. Did not go as planned. BeforeI went to TPC, I spoke with Russ the design engineer at Brey Krause, to verify that the side mounts that they sell would work, as designed, with my 06 CS. He assured me they would, so the purchase was made.

After the seats were removed, and the sliders exposed, it became obvious that the passenger side seat mounts from Brey Krause did not line up with the bolts on the sliders. Russ was called and he admitted that maybe some drilling would be needed. So much for the side mounts fitting. TPC had to drill two holes to make the side mounts work. Since it is harden steel a colbolt drill bit had to be used. The first additional expense because of Brey Krause.

The driver seat was even worse. Their design was so far off the only way, to get them to work was to install 996 seat rails, at a cool $132.00 each. Lucky for me Mike had some from his race car, as there are none in country. With the install of the 996 rails the seat install was completed.

So please do not believe that the parts that are sold by Brey Krause for seat install in a CS will work. I contacted Russ concerning this problem, and was told that I must have a different production slider than other 06 CS's. That was it. Not what I would call great customer service, he did offer to refund the money for the side mounts, but this was done after he knew that we had all ready installed them.

I can not understand how or why a company would sell parts knowing that they would not fit as designed without modifactions. The lack of integrity on the part of Brey Krause speaks volumes.

Brey Krause never again!
Thank you, for taking the time to describe your experience. I have though about this type of change and based on this post and the other responses, I will never consider any products from Brey Krause.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What about the seats and brackets that Motordrive offers? Have people had good success with these? Are there any other makers that offer semi custom sizing of track seats?

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
What about the seats and brackets that Motordrive offers? Have people had good success with these? Are there any other makers that offer semi custom sizing of track seats?
Well since Tess Tickle ([email protected]) has them in his own Cayman, I think you can be pretty sure they fit, at least up to the Pro3 size I believe - in fact, he fabricated his sliders specifically for fitting his seats in the 987. He also offers his seats in a variety of materials from GRP to CF. The only downside is the cost of shipping them to the US.

Recaro, Corbeau, and Cobra all have models with at least 2 sizes available.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've ordered a single seat plus slider/frame from Motordrive a couple of weeks ago and hope to get it shortly. Will post pics & review when I get it.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have all brey krause parts in my car all installed by myself and Ive never had any problems. They have all quality parts all made 100% in america. Not to metion the b-pillar brace saved my brothers life in a car accident.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking at installing some Sparco Pro 2000 seats in my 07 Cayman S. Needless to say I'm now looking for alternatives to the Brey-Krause mounts.

Unlike the Evo, the Pro 2000 has bottom mount holes as well. Sparco lists the following seat bases on it's site:
400SB004L PORSCHE 996/997 BOXSTER L 135.00
400SB004R PORSCHE 996/997 BOXSTER R 135.00

Any idea if those should work on the Cayman? I saw it mentioned elsewhere that the 996 floor mount holes are the same on the Cayman.

Also, what did you use for a sub-bar? Unfortunately I don't see an option from Sparco and I doubt the Porsche GT3 bar would mount to the Sparco base.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have everything you need. I just removed my EVO seats from my Cayman S. So I now have the BK brackets drilled to fit the passenger seat, A set of OEM 996 rails that TPC used for the drivers seat. I also have the BK harness truss that you will need for a 6pt harness. No use having racing seat s without a 6 pt. Trust me I just rolled my Spec Miata during a race ended up on my roof and the six point kept me hanging upside down until EMS arrived.

PM me for prices I had them all listed in the classifieds may still be there. I did the first post about the Sparco seat install.

Thanks
David

1 - 17 of 17 Posts