Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Suncoast parts sells a spare kit. You may want to check with them that it fits a 718. It takes up a chunk of storage space- can't recall if it fits the front or rear trunk. Keep in mind it only works for the front wheels. In case of a rear flat you need to swap a front to the rear and mount the spare in the front. Also fitting the flat tire/wheel in the cabin is tight and if you have a passenger there's no place to put it.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Get a good tire plug kit and lightweight Porsche jack from the ebay. You'll be able to fix 90% of problems without loosing trunk space.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I know this lack of a spare can be somewhat scary at first.....BUT....most cars are doing away with them. Better get used to it. Just bought a brand new 2018 Acura TLX sedan. Guess what.....NO SPARE. Comes with a pump and a can of sealant. It's the wave of the future for all cars, without a doubt.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If you switch tires to run flats, you might as well switch the Boxster to a Corolla while you are at it. Those things are abominations.

Reactions: gcurnew

·
Registered
628 Posts
i just bought a used spare tire kit - worked perfectly for 987S:

If your 718 is S version - you better check fitment first because your brakes are different and bigger than 987S.

·
Registered
628 Posts
i admit i have not :wall:

if it's completely out of the air - i think/hope it will fit.
worst case - put it on the passenger seat.
my car cover in the trunk - so i can use it for wrapping/interior protection.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i admit i have not :wall:

if it's completely out of the air - i think/hope it will fit.
worst case - put it on the passenger seat.
my car cover in the trunk - so i can use it for wrapping/interior protection.
Yeah, my fear is it would only fit in the passenger seat. I have thought of buying a spare tire, mainly to reduce worrying on long trips, but I'll have to get the wife in better shape so she can make the long walk into town.:)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a strong suspicion that having no spare is a method of making the car less useful to the driver, but more lighter and thus useful to the manufacturer in meeting CAFE standards. The idiotic on/off start switch is a similar example of doing something dumb because of government dictat.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Food for Thought,
I've ridden countless miles on a motorcycle with no punctures.

I've been driving (car) for countless years, and in modern times with
good tread there have been no punctures.

Therefore in my opinion, unless going off road, concern for a "spare" is basically needless, and
lately car manufactures seem to agree.

Cheers,

Curtis

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
I know this lack of a spare can be somewhat scary at first.....BUT....most cars are doing away with them. Better get used to it. Just bought a brand new 2018 Acura TLX sedan. Guess what.....NO SPARE. Comes with a pump and a can of sealant. It's the wave of the future for all cars, without a doubt.:cheers:
Is there a jack in Acura?
They all know that that goo sealant is pretty much useless, but it gives them legitimate excuse to save $$. Because that can cost 50 cents, spare costs 50 dollars. So here, they just saved $49 while raised the price of the car anyway! Brilliant!

Honestly, last time I had a puncture that required a spare was in 2001... And I drive about 40K miles per year. Had a few other punctures - I was able to make to the shop after inflating the tire. So in summer I actually leave the spares at home even in the cars that still have them - to not haul extra weight

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Is there a jack in Acura?
They all know that that goo sealant is pretty much useless, but it gives them legitimate excuse to save $$. Because that can cost 50 cents, spare costs 50 dollars. So here, they just saved $49 while raised the price of the car anyway! Brilliant!

Honestly, last time I had a puncture that required a spare was in 2001... And I drive about 40K miles per year. Had a few other punctures - I was able to make to the shop after inflating the tire. So in summer I actually leave the spares at home even in the cars that still have them - to not haul extra weight
No jack either. Goop and a pump. I'm afraid it's the wave of the future. Makes me want to invest in a towing company. How can that not be good for that kind of business. My last flat was only a couple years ago and it was because I ran over a small hunk of metal on the Interstate. Sliced the tire open and it was flat before I was even able to get off the side of the road. I did have one of those small spares with that vehicle so AAA showed up in about 15 minutes, put it on for me and directed me to the nearest tire store since I had another 700 miles to go and the donut wasn't going to get it done. That's happened more than once to me, same scenerio, one on the interstate and one local. Neither in my Cayman fortunately. Unlucky, I guess.:cheers:

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Er ... that will LARGELY depend on the car's use. I will not tolerate a daily/all purpose car if it doesn't have a spare tire. Just one more in the long list of the reasons BMW lost me as a customer. I drive Golf GTI daily and can report that it indeed has spare tire. Not as good a spare as my Golf TDI had, but still a spare.

I don't give a diddly squat that my Cayman has no spare. That car is NEVER driven when I have a time constraint/need to go from A to B. Who cares. I only drive it when I WANT to go from A to B in a Cayman. And choose roads accordingly, regardless of time/mileage. But you can bet I will refuse delivery of any vehicle, no matter the price, that doesn't have a spare tire. It is just ridiculous stupidity that I am not willing to tolerate or sponsor with my own money.

If you switch tires to run flats, you might as well switch the Boxster to a Corolla while you are at it. Those things are abominations.
+10

Yet another one in the long list of reasons BMW lost me as a customer :)

If you are in business of making grocery getters (that is what BMWs are - from 1 series to 7 series), you better make them usable. I have no use for a car that MUST be at the airport in 45 minutes (+ 20 minutes for changing a flat) and it does not have a spare tire. Sell it to someone else.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just an FYI on the subject.
Last year I lost all air in one tire on my AWD BMW X5 with run flats. Turned out to be a bad seal on the TPM tire valve. They are no longer the rubber valve stems of old. Seams there was some corrosion and the seal went bad. I couldn't figure out why the tire lost air after 5 miles of driving but did not leak when stationary. Turned out that the centrifugal force was enough to tilt the valve and upset the seal. And this was after putting 2 cans of sealant in the tire. We had a 1000 mile trip ahead of us and were lucky to find one station open that could fix it. He also cleaned out all the goop.

After getting home I looked into getting a compact spare (my snow tires are not run flats) but was advised that the difference in diameters would cause problems with the differentials.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Two months ago I came back from the race track after a weekend TT competition. The car ran great but the tires are near end of life. On the way home I noticed my RR tire was down a few lbs. I stopped and topped it off with my 12v compressor and inspected the tire but did not see the cause. The following day I swapped my TT tires with my street tires and found a 1/4 20 x 1.5" bolt stuck in my RR tire. Wow! The tire had gone down to 23psi but was not flat. Time for a new set but glad the tires are relatively self sealing even with a bigazz bolt sticking in there. A compressor, goo, and tire plugs will get you home 95% of the time. My AAA card is for the other 5%.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Of course it won't. But in that rare case - you just call a tow truck...
i know it won't. i don't expect it to.
for those cases i have a spare tire.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.