Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this in the service manual and I am wondering if I could have cracked my new spark plugs when I put them in.

Do you guys use this mysterious spark plug tool NR.14?
I looked online to purchase one and I couldn't find it anywhere.

Maybe I am just being paranoid as I used a proper spark plug socket with a rubber piece inside when I installed them.
Just wondering what you guys do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I believe it is just a longer than normal spark plug socket (5" long) and is magnetic and thin walled. It's design intent is to protect against damaging the ceramic on the spark plug, as well as making it easy to extract via the magnetism.

Pelican Parts has been referenced in a couple of posts for one brand of such a socket, but they are currently out of stock.

I found what looks to be a duplicate design on Amazon and ordered it. Here is the link :

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
My pleasure, but no genuis. Just an old geezer smitten by his old Porsche and enjoying figuring it out. :)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use a plug specific socket with a partial rubber insert and a variety of extensions and elbows depending on which cylinder I'm working on. The most important thing is to go slow and manually start each plug's threads with your fingers and chosen extensions. Establishing that the plug is not cross threaded with your fingers and socket set up is key and easily accomplished if you take your time.

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S, Sport Chrono
33 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts