Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nearing 60,000 miles...

Read all the threads here, and looked at the tutorial at Pedro's Garage, but I still can't figure out if my '06 CS has spark plug tubes / pipes, and O-rings like the Boxster in Pedro's DIY or not.

If they are there, could somebody please post part numbers? I can't find them in the manual.

<edit>
If there are not tubes, then are there some equivalent O-rings or seals that should be inspected or replaced when replacing spark plugs?
</edit>

I just want to get parts on hand, from a reasonably priced source, like Suncoast, instead of getting half way into the job and finding out I am at the mercy of local dealers.

I'll try to get some decent pictures in case it is worth doing a DIY article.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If you are ordering your parts from Suncoast I would just ask them for the required parts. They should have the up to date list.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I did this project recently and from what I could tell the set up was not the same. From what I could tell there was only the tube. The project is doable but it can be difficult trying to get your hands in there to disconnect things. It is not easy to torque things down as you need to so you need to have a small torque wrench. If the dealer only charges an hour for this job then I would say go to the dealer but I never asked for a quote so I had not idea what it was going to cost. Spark plugs from the dealer ran me about 12 bucks a piece plus tax so close to 70 bucks. If the dealer can do it for anothe 100 buck well worth the price. I inenjoyed working on the car but the tight space was not fun. But if you decide to do it know that it took me three hours and good luck.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did this project recently and from what I could tell the set up was not the same... But if you decide to do it know that it took me three hours and good luck.
Thanks, I'll see what I can do. A friend looked up the job on AllData, no details, but it quoted 1.8 hours labor, so I figured it would take me 4 or 5 with beer breaks, cussing, and skinned knuckles.

Did you remove the rear underbody panel for access, and if so, did you replace any hardware, or just re-use it?

I like doing minor maintenance on my vehicles, the time and hassle are worth it (usually) just to get more familiar with them. If I survive I will attempt the serpentine belt next. So far the Cayman has been generally more DIY maintenance friendly than the 993 was.

If you are ordering your parts from Suncoast I would just ask them for the required parts. They should have the up to date list.
I've got an email off to Suncoast, awaiting reply. Hopefully they can set me up with a 'kit' for all the 60,000 mile maintenance parts and consumables. I'll save a list of part numbers for the next fool who wants to try this route.

Cheers,
Chuck

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes you do have to remove the wheel well liner and a smaller piece that is behind the brake lines, nothing major though. I did not have to replace any of the hardware as it is just screws. Good luck and just make sure you have all the tools handy and that you secure the car safely once you get it up on a jack stand. Do not leave it on the floor jack as it will over time begin to sag and you don't want to have your head in the wheel well when that happens.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moralem,
Thanks for the tips. I'll be using Rhino Ramps, and I promise not to try to crush my skull.

Alan,
Got a return email from Ryan at Suncoast, and he says he doesn't see any consumables, O-rings or anything, that need to be changed with the spark plugs.

Cheers,
Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts