Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first Porsche, an '06 Boxster, a few months ago. I've got a weird problem with the radio. It sounds great, but the sound will sometimes change to only coming out of one of the speakers on the dash and nowhere else. It seems kind of random as to when it happens. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
First off add info on which sound system you have. My first guess however would be a loose connector on the back of the head unit or amp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got no info about the sound system with the car, so I don't know what I've got. I'll try posting a pic of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2006 Cayman S that has the same issue. Randomly loses some of the speakers working. Seems to be the back ones. Curious to solution. My Cayman is still under warranty so I am going to have them look at it next time I take it in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have the '05 boxster s with bose system. it does the same thing, got really annoying. one day when under the "hood", i was too lazy to put the bose subwoofer back before heading out to run errands. AND THE DAMN AUDIO WORK PERFECTLY. obviously, it doesn't sound quite as good without the sub, but still plenty fine for the non-audio phile in a convertable. haven't bother to put it back in since.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,767 Posts
I've had the same problem on my '05 Boxster with Bose. It only happens with the radio. It will go away if you adjust the surround sound to a lower level or turn it off. I added a Gateway 500 so I only listen to my iPod now. It doesn't happen on the CDs or my iPod.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The unit in mine is stock. It's a Bose that came with the car, as far as I can tell. Sounds like my problem is not unique. It's time for the 20K service, so I'll ask them to check it, though I'll bet they say there's nothing wrong.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
This happens to mine as well but only when listening to the radio. It has never happened when listening to a CD or using my FM modulator iPod connector.

I have the CDR24 and I think it has to do with the level of reception of the individual radio station. It happens more on certain stations and doesn't happen at all on others. I do not have the exterior rod antenna only the front window based one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what sound system I have. As I mentioned in a previous post, I didn't get any manuals with the car. Here's a pic of the system. What do I have?

·
Registered
92 Posts
This happens to mine as well but only when listening to the radio. It has never happened when listening to a CD or using my FM modulator iPod connector.

I have the CDR24 and I think it has to do with the level of reception of the individual radio station. It happens more on certain stations and doesn't happen at all on others. I do not have the exterior rod antenna only the front window based one.
Modern FM tuners have a built in circuit that is designed to minimize noise from weak signals and multi-path. At Stage 1, the tuner will engage a High-Blend filter which takes signals above a certain frequency (8-10 kHz) and converts them to mono. Since the noise and distortion is random in phase, converting to mono reduces the noise substantially. For weaker signals, the entire audio spectrum is switched to mono. If you have surround modes engaged, any mono signals will be sent to the center speaker and removed from all others and the audio will collapse into one or a few speakers. High blend was given US Patent 4029906 in 1977- Automatic noise reduction system of FM stereo receiver.

Switching off surround will return the audio to the LR speaker configuration, but it won't sound anywhere near as spacious as surround with a good signal. Once you know what causes it, it's much less irritating.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
^Thanks, that explains a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts