Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those involved with pca spec cayman racing 06-08, what has been the story as far as engine reliability?

I know the rules allow for deep sump pans and aos. What is the participitation rate and how many known failures?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
There's a guy on 986forum who does Spec Boxster racing. He estimates 80 hrs of racing on an engine before it needs rebuilding. However, the cost of a rebuild can be expensive, so he and most others in SB just buy a used engine, slap it in, and go another 80 hrs.

Spec racing and DE participation are apples and oranges. Doing 8 20-minute sessions over the course of a DE w/e are substantially different than a race w/e in terms of reliability. Racing will expose the weaknesses but you can go crazy (and broke) trying to cover all potential weaknesses that may not be an issue in DE.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes sense. I am sure yard motors for older boxers can be found fairly reasonably. Just transfer the go fast parts from one engine to another. 80 hrs is not bad at all. Agreed racing is way harder on and engine than de.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
My buddy has a spec 996 Boxster. I would say it’s easily the most unreliable car at the track. It’s not the motor or anything. Just stupid stuff like it doesn’t start, it powers off on track, etc. It has to be towed off all of the time. I think it’s mostly electrical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,652 Posts
I'd stay away from 987 Spec Cayman. Much cheaper and more reliable to do a spec Boxter. I'd also stay away from 981 Cayman. They are much more reliable than a 987 but if you crash it just throw it away because the frame / body construction is really difficult to repair.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
OP is considering buying a 987.1S for DEing and wanted to get a flavor for issues.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'd stay away from 987 Spec Cayman. Much cheaper and more reliable to do a spec Boxter. I'd also stay away from 981 Cayman. They are much more reliable than a 987 but if you crash it just throw it away because the frame / body construction is really difficult to repair.
+2

Knock on wood my 987 has been bullet proof (although I know the horror stories out there,) but spec boxsters are significantly cheaper than a 987.

Also have a bunch of friends that run spec boxsters - both casual DE and club racing. They roll them off the trailer, flog them, and then come back next week and do it all over again....

·
Registered
266 Posts
My buddy has a spec 996 Boxster. I would say it’s easily the most unreliable car at the track. It’s not the motor or anything. Just stupid stuff like it doesn’t start, it powers off on track, etc. It has to be towed off all of the time. I think it’s mostly electrical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Who's Spec Boxster is it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.