Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my 03 S becomes unsettled ie: coming out of boot of Glen or before righthander at top of roller coaster VIR, it is often difficult to downshift to 2nd or downshift to 4th. My salesman discouraged me from ordering the speed shifter for he says it will be a shorter shift& phsicallyharder therefore more difficult to find the middle gears. Do you people agree?

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
I haven't driven that track, but I've tracked and autocrossed my 2005 S and the shift is so improved over 2004-prior Boxsters that I've never missed a shift yet! So yeah, a little more effort, but either way it will be an improvement over what you are used to IMHO. (nothing wrong with a 2003 S)

·
Registered
39 Posts
My salesman discouraged me from ordering the speed shifter for he says it will be a shorter shift& phsicallyharder therefore more difficult to find the middle gears. Do you people agree?

How much racing time does your saleman have. Most likely none. Right now Porsche is kicking back on sport shifter orders so he most likely knew this and didn't want to explain why. I am either going to get it with my order or have it installed after I recieve the car. It only takes about one lap to get use to it and you'll never go back.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I also got my order for a Short Shifter 'kicked back' even though it was in the order guide. You can bet that there will be an aftermarket SS available in no time, and at a cost far less than Porsche. I have had SS in tow cars, most recently in my current 2003 Carerra, and there is definitely a more 'notchy' feel to the gates, especially in gears 3 and 4. You quickly get used to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts