Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone

I am taking a trip that has no real plans, no real route, except that at some point I want to end up in Sedona, Arizona where I am meeting a spiritual teacher/healer.
The trip is something that I have chosen to do from a spiritual perspective and I'm hoping to be able to connect with my inner self along the journey to help me fight a disease that's taking over my life if I don't do this.

My stuff aside, I drive a 2005 Boxster S and love driving. I'd love to find some amazing roads along the way, roads that will inspire me and my car.

I love the twisties, ripping through canyon territory (with my V1 on of course) and long sweeping vistas, coastline orinland. I just don't want to spend most of my time droning down the highway at 70mph.

Like I said, I have no specific routes in mind other than HWY 101 at this point - speaking of which, are there parts of 101 to avoid or must see? I'm happy to head in-land a little if there are some cool things that would help me on my journey.

I'm also very open to any spiritual healing recommendations.

I will also be blogging my trip, providng thoughts, learnings and of course beautiful pictures of my journey:

http://boxsterjourney.spaces.live.com

Thanks for all and any recommendations.

Boxster Journey

·
Registered
126 Posts
GlobeSpy,

If you haven't already, may I suggest you read: The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle.

Also I suggest you go here, and download the paper by Laurence Letich, entitled: Thoughts on the Radical Acceptance of Everything.

Both these are basically concerned with first-hand discovery of that which does not need healing via a journey to the core of our own being. Even then, we are free to pursue healing of the body if that remains a concern.

jt

·
Registered
372 Posts
Joking aside check out the website The Place for Surviving & Thriving | TheSurvivorsClub.org. It is a place where people in crisis can go to find resources that have helped other people survive and thrive in the face of health or other challenges in their lives. There is also a book of the same name by Sherwood....best of luck to you in finding your way. You might want to consider coming through Oregon, Idaho and Utah rather than down through California.

·
Beach Nut
99 Posts
Get a paper map (no spirit in GPS) and generally head south on secondary roads. Only use the map to pick what seems to be interesting roads and to assess where you are at the end of the day.

Wife and I did that heading to CA from NC in 93 when I retired from the Marine Corps. No schedule since she had the summer off from teaching.

We did hop on the Interstates on occasion to bypass certain areas that we did not care about. We planned to return in similar, but more northerly fashion.

Unfortunately the monster flooding of 93 ruined that and avoiding flooded areas became the survival tactic.

US 101 and CA Hwy 1 are gorgeous. You even get to drive thru a giant Sequoia (or was it a Redwood?) in NorCal. I did that trip in 1976 in my 70 911 from Vancouver, BC, to Tijuana, BC (Baja Cal).

There are parts that are sorta boring, but not many. You can easily switch between 1 and 101 as 1 goes thru the middle of most beach towns. In some places 101 is like an I-state.

And not much need for a map. You just need to figure out when you wanna head east. I left my heart in San Diego when I left there in 88, but you might not care or need to head southeast earlier.

BTW southern Utah is also spectacular if you get in the mood. Santa Fe and Taos also spoke to us. And Sedona with the red rock mountains is magical for canyon carving or meditation. Last time we were there fires screwed our route selection tho.

Hope the journey is great, and you get your health back. :cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Globespy,

I've driven Hwy 101 from near San Francisco to Tillamook, Oregon. It's a nice road, pretty scenic, of course, but for the most part spirited driving may be difficult. Lots of small towns, fair amount of traffic, twisty in places but you can't really scoot much. Something to relax and drive for the scenery more than for the driving itself.

I-5 from Roseburg to Redding is actually kinda fun, has quite a few sections that are fairly twisty for the freeway, and once in CA with the higher speed limit you can have some fun there at reasonable speeds. It's also pretty scenic. The Oregon Highway Patrol has been really active lately, and the trucks racing each other up the hills at 22 mph can drive you crazy, so take it easy on the Oregon side and wait for the California side. The Oregon Vortex near Medford is silly but fun.

So, suggestions: Hwy 101 to Coos Bay, OR; then drive inland to Roseburg, look for the elk herd, then take I-5 to Redding; then head east through Lassen and then head toward Yosemite through the mountains of eastern California. An alternative is Hwy 101 to Crescent City, CA, then backtrack up Hwy 199 to Grants Pass, maybe visit the Oregon Cave Monument on the way, and then take I-5 to Redding and then east to Lassen and Yosemite.

I haven't driven beyond Yosemite, can't suggest anything there except to avoid I-5, it's truly a drone through the middle of CA.

Good luck on both journeys.
Gris

·
Registered
911 Posts
I can show you where all the good strip clubs are :)
Just trying to provide some levity not trivialize your very personal dilemma. My experience in these types of trips (and I've done a few).

Wing it.

I Agree to avoid GPS if possible (iPhone can help if you're in a jam). Just driving and not concentrating on the next turn allows you to clear the mind...and hopefully the soul.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I've driven fairly extensively through southern Utah/northern Ariz, and I recommend buying a copy of Motorcycle Journeys Through the Southwest, by Martin C. Berke. Great guide to both states. The bike people tend to really know their roads... not that Porsche people don't. Try Amazon or Whitehorse Press.
That said, you must do Utah SR12, and, if it's late enough so the park's open, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Just getting there is half the fun.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would assert that if you needed some camaraderie along the way to help provide you support through your journey both geograhpical and spiritual that you would find a few here on the site that might meet you on the road as you pass on through the various towns. You will find there are a lot of us out there and remember struggles are universal we have all gone through them or will...........

·
Registered
155 Posts
The drive south along Highway 101 through Oregon and then to Highway 1 along the California coast would be a great drive. The only problem with that route that I see is, once you've done that you still have to get to Sedona, AZ and from this area just north of LA, say at San Luis Obispo heading east can get boring, not to mention very hot, depending on what time of year you plan to make the trip.

If you go inland there are several great drives along the way and you can avoid some of the very extreme areas (such as Death Valley) in central California and in Nevada.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I would assert that if you needed some camaraderie along the way to help provide you support through your journey both geograhpical and spiritual that you would find a few here on the site that might meet you on the road as you pass on through the various towns. You will find there are a lot of us out there and remember struggles are universal we have all gone through them or will...........
Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Globespy,

Having recently driven down 101 from Seattle to Cannon Beach OR I can say the drive has some great parts but also has many small towns where its congested. The views were great along the way but it didn't allow for as spirited of a drive as I had imagined.

This past summer I took a driving tour with the audi club heading south from Enumclaw down past Mt. Rainier and eventually found Forest Road 25 that takes you southbound and east of Mt. St. Helens. That is by far the best road I have driven in the Northwest. Just fill the tank beforehand, after it was completed I had less than 1/8th of a tank remaining. At the end of the drive we merged onto I-5 N for a quicker route home. Depending on road conditions it may be possible this time of year since we've had such a mild winter in comparison to the rest of the country.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
The Sedona area is a beautiful part of the US and well worth time on a roadtrip (some great twisties in parts). Unfortunately I didn't record the exact route taken on a motorcycle a while back but got the basic route options from Monica & Gabor at AZride (Motorcycle Rental and Tours in Phoenix, Arizona). I'm sure you could get some of their very detailed knowledge of the area were you to give them a call. Good luck & may you find what you need.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Looking forward to reading about your journey. Coincidentally, I live in Seattle too, and my girlfriend and I did an 1800 mile road trip through Arizona and New Mexico in November. Fantastic trip - driving through the Arizona desert is a very peaceful and spiritual experience.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to drive there from here. We flew to Phoenix and rented a car. We made our way through Sedona, to both rims of the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, across the desert to Taos, Santa Fe, then back across the Painted Desert to Scottsdale before flying home. If you'd like some suggestions on places to see and routes to take while you're in Arizona, please PM me. I'd be happy to get together in person as well if you'd prefer to chat about the experience that way. The trip's well worth doing!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All I can say is WOW.
I will get through all of these and hopefully more.

JamesTHomas - your words of care are appreciated. I have heard of that book and actually bought his series, yet never got around to reading....you know that 'cant find the time scenario'.....now is the time.

I want to find as many roads that inspire the soul and heart as well as the need to grin from ear to ear....taking time to let my mind roll off like the distant hills will be nice.

As I said, I will be blogging my trip and hope to share some memories with some of you, and perhaps new stories with the rest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts