Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to get in touch with Rico today at Safetech Composites and we had a nice conversation to catch up on what is going on. The reason he has been delayed in creating/shipping spoilers for the Cayman is because he has had to turn all of his focus to getting some spoilers and other parts made for ALMS cars and this is causing him to spend 14-16 hours a day in his shop working on those parts, after which he doesn't have any time to post here. He hopes to have these items completed in a couple of weeks and at that point will generate another batch of 10 or so wings for the Cayman/Boxster. He is also short handed at his shop and has had a hard time finding someone with the skills to work on carbon fiber. He has asked me to ask everyone here to bear with him that he is doing the best he can as quickly as he can but he realizes that he is behind schedule. I can understand him servicing his large motorsports clients first before consumer parts, I'm sure those contracts are worth larger dollars for him. Additionally, he did tell me that they just completed development on a host of 2010 997 parts including a GT3 wing, wide body kit and bumper and fender replacements all in carbon fiber so that's good news for 997 owners out there.

If I receive further updates I will post them. Last, but not least, evidently my hatch is done but needs to be clear coated before being sent to me for the installation test. I'm looking forward to that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I saw somewhere some pics of the safetech one, just use search function!

Nice news anyway! Im thinking about an "update/changement" of the safetech wing, that we could ask Rico to do before producing new ones!
(If there are enough people interested)

Can anybody design or draw car pieces?

I would like to use the mulde/gap where the factory wing is laying as a base for an extended wing, so it should looks like those wings on 911s:
The "up and down" function should be deactivated.

View attachment 13664

Another idea: a more extremly extend wing as already created, but with small diffusor or a second blade??:

View attachment 13665

If we need to wait till Rico can produce again wings, we may should use this opportunity to create a custom wing!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I talked to Rico late last year about getting one of his spoilers. I never did pull the trigger but I'm ready now. I wonder if he would be up for a group buy once he gets caught up. This may also provide him an incentive for getting on these if he has a commitment for a certain quantity.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Depending on how it looks installed, I might be interested in a group buy as well.

Anyone have pics of it installed?

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can count me also in a group buy! I like the safetech wing too much, I would order imediately!

Safetech seems to be the one and only producer of this extended wing, that looks much better then Strosek, Sportec or the Speedart one!

I'm wondering if he's also able to produce those splitters of the OEM aerokit. The Gen2 Frontsplitters are much nicer then the Gen1. They look more like a extended factory splitter! I think would be a nice combi with the extended wing!
Here's a pic:
View attachment 13668
And here's a describtion of the Gen2 Aerokit:
http://www.planet-9.com/site-vendors-sponsors/33397-hot-off-press-cayman-aerokit-2009-a.html

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I would be interested in rear wing, and front splitter. Price would be a factor. Safetech appears to be reasonable $.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Meh....their rear wing doesn't really do anything for me. Looks kind of goofy, actually.

Something more along the lines of a GT3 or GT2 style spoiler is my taste.

·
Registered
266 Posts
@Turboguy:
Same as I think. But the safetech one looks at least better then the factory one!
As I said, a similar Turbo or GT wing for OEM replacement would be perfect! The already existing Techart-like wings are mounted on the hatch lid. Would be nice such a Techart-like wing mounted through the factory wing mulde/inserts.

·
Registered
266 Posts
3) Another wing type:
View attachment 13678

Important is just the base in the mulde. Whole wing could be in single pieces (like techart) or fixed built (just attached at the oem holes).
For installation is only a deactivation of the "up/down" function necessary and no other work like making holes in the hatch (like in similar other wings).

That would be a serious replacement wing for me! :)crazy:?)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I was able to get in touch with Rico today at Safetech Composites and we had a nice conversation to catch up on what is going on. The reason he has been delayed in creating/shipping spoilers for the Cayman is because he has had to turn all of his focus to getting some spoilers and other parts made for ALMS cars and this is causing him to spend 14-16 hours a day in his shop working on those parts, after which he doesn't have any time to post here. He hopes to have these items completed in a couple of weeks and at that point will generate another batch of 10 or so wings for the Cayman/Boxster. He is also short handed at his shop and has had a hard time finding someone with the skills to work on carbon fiber. He has asked me to ask everyone here to bear with him that he is doing the best he can as quickly as he can but he realizes that he is behind schedule. I can understand him servicing his large motorsports clients first before consumer parts, I'm sure those contracts are worth larger dollars for him. Additionally, he did tell me that they just completed development on a host of 2010 997 parts including a GT3 wing, wide body kit and bumper and fender replacements all in carbon fiber so that's good news for 997 owners out there.

If I receive further updates I will post them. Last, but not least, evidently my hatch is done but needs to be clear coated before being sent to me for the installation test. I'm looking forward to that.
Ken,
Do I understand this correctly that you are getting a Carbon Fiber Hatch made? What is the weight savings and will you do a Plixglass rear window?
:thanks:

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
3) Another wing type:
View attachment 13678

Important is just the base in the mulde. Whole wing could be in single pieces (like techart) or fixed built (just attached at the oem holes).
For installation is only a deactivation of the "up/down" function necessary and no other work like making holes in the hatch (like in similar other wings).

That would be a serious replacement wing for me! :)crazy:?)
A larger wing assembly that goes in the OEM spot AND is reversible gets my vote. So long as it can handle the down force, because the current design is a spoiler, not a wing.
Front splitters like the OEM aero kit but more aggressive would be good.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ken,
Do I understand this correctly that you are getting a Carbon Fiber Hatch made? What is the weight savings and will you do a Plixglass rear window?
:thanks:
It's been made for months, but awaiting the final finishing coats because I didn't want it in primer, I wanted it in shiny gloss carbon fiber. He's been busy with other things and honestly I haven't seen my car much in months so it hasn't been a big priority for me either. Yes it will have plexiglass rear window as well. Not sure of the weight savings yet, but once I get it I'll do an article and let everyone know. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
The only way getting a company (like Saftech) interested in producing such pieces is a interest group.

So everybody please write who is interested on a real WING replacement similar to the pics above and front splitters:

1. Alessandro-Gti
2. ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts