Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In another thread, there was some discussion about the subject. I made a short video showing the functionality of the Sport Chrono, PCM interface, Sport Display and car Data Transfer to a USB stick. It's pretty cool. Perhaps a gimmick but I like it anyhow. The type of data that you can save and transfer to a USB stick is listed below. It is saved in a .csv file which can be read by excel and other software packages. You don't need any fancy equipment other than a 981 with the right options and a USB stick (or Bluetooth streaming) You can use other software packages like Race Renderer to pair it with your GoPro video to make some neat videos. I plan on doing this later this month.

The data stream below is recorded once every second. (I had 106 lines in Excel for the short time the sport chrono was recording)

lap no
lap-length [m];
lap-time [ms];
vehicle speed [km/h];
lateral acceleration [g];
longitudinal acceleration [g];
outside temperature [°C];
steering angle [°];
engine rotation speed [1/min];
engine temperature [°C];
gear;
height [m];
longitude;
latitude;

From my research, you need to have the sport chrono package i.c.w. PCM to have the sport display and functionality. If you only ordered the PCM and Sport Chrono package, I don't think this will work.

Video is below. Enjoy. I don't know why the thumb nail is blurry below but it is clean in the video. Life is good....especially with all these cool gadgets that geeky IT and engineers like to play with!

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Well done and much appreciated! I have two questions. Firstly, do you need to hit a button every time you cross the finish line or only on the first lap to denote the end of the lap?
Secondly, does everyone else also say "nine eighty-one"?? I've been thinking "nine eight one" all this time!!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
For some people Sport Chrono may be just a toy but this video shows off some of the capability nicely. Very cool. For me, the car is more of a toy than pragmatic, so adding optional toys (if I can afford them) is worth considering.

·
Revhead
371 Posts
do you need to hit a button every time you cross the finish line or only on the first lap to denote the end of the lap?
Hopefully they've made it a bit more "location-aware" in the 981, because in the 987 you have to trigger it manually each lap with the lower-left control stalk. And to make matters worse, you have to flick the stalk twice each time - once to record the time, and a second time to mark it as a lap rather than a split.

On tracks where the start-finish line is not somewhere where you can spare a second or so to fiddle with the controls, it's not particularly useful. I'll continue to use Harry's Lap Timer, but I might try downloading the PCM data to augment the iPhone's somewhat optimistic accelerometer.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well done and much appreciated! I have two questions. Firstly, do you need to hit a button every time you cross the finish line or only on the first lap to denote the end of the lap?
Secondly, does everyone else also say "nine eighty-one"?? I've been thinking "nine eight one" all this time!!
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know if you have to hit the button (for multi-function steering wheel) every lap (or stalk). I read somewhere that you do but it doesn't make sense since the gps is very accurate and it clearly shows the checkered flag. I am going to try that again without hitting the button....my neighbors already thinks I'm a nut job driving around our neighborhood in circles. What's one more night?

Funny about the 981 pronunciation. I equate it to other Porsches. It's nine eleven, not nine one one. It's nine seventeen and not nine one seven. I think everyone is saying nine eighty one. lol

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know if you have to hit the button (for multi-function steering wheel) every lap (or stalk). I read somewhere that you do but it doesn't make sense since the gps is very accurate and it clearly shows the checkered flag. I am going to try that again without hitting the button....my neighbors already think I'm a nut job driving around our neighborhood in circles. What's one more night?

Funny about 981 pronunciation. I equate it to other Porsches. It's nine eleven, not nine one one. It's nine seventeen and not nine one seven. I think everyone is saying nine eighty one. lol
Well... that totally makes sense. :D I just can't recall any time I've ever actually had to say it out loud but in my brain, it's been nine-eight-one. I shall change my ways going forward. :D

Ok... interested in the results of the next experiment and wishing I could just go out and try it myself. :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Guys,

Opening up this thread again as I found it from the thread in which this conversation originated. I was searching for information on the Electronic Logbook option listed in the Audio and Communications section.

I've got my CGTS on order, so I have Sport Chrono. And I optioned the Bose Infotainment. So, is it safe to assume that I get all the functionality described above in the excellent video?

(I'd also love to see an answer if you have to manually identify laps or if the GPS takes care of it.)

And with all that functionality, does it include this (description for the Electronic Logbook taken from the config tool):

• "Data management and analysis software for PC
  • Automatic recording of current mileage, distance covered, date and time as well as the starting point and destination for each trip"

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know if you have to hit the button (for multi-function steering wheel) every lap (or stalk). I read somewhere that you do but it doesn't make sense since the gps is very accurate and it clearly shows the checkered flag. I am going to try that again without hitting the button....my neighbors already thinks I'm a nut job driving around our neighborhood in circles. What's one more night?

Funny about the 981 pronunciation. I equate it to other Porsches. It's nine eleven, not nine one one. It's nine seventeen and not nine one seven. I think everyone is saying nine eighty one. lol
I have used it on the track once in my Nine Eight One. Its a PITA. I set the spare button on the multifunction wheel for the lap restart button. And yes you have to press the button every time when you cross the start finish line.

I have used Harry's Latimer GP ever since.

The pronunciation of Porsche numbers has no logic. Everything in the teens is Nine Eleven, Nine Fourteen, Nine Eighteen etc everything above the teens is Nine Four Four, Nine Two Eight etc. The exception being the Nine Thirty.

Whatever floats your boat I guess, given half the owners still don't know how to pronounce Porsche I don't think it really matters.:hilarious:

Cheers

·
Registered
165 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, however, I hope someone can help me with an issue I'm having with transferring data from my Sport Display. I have a '16 GT4 and have been trying to transfer files to either a usb thumb drive or through Bluetooth to my iPhone. When I try to download to my usb thumb drive, it say no media found and the transfer fails. Have also tried attaching my iPhone via the usb port and that doesn't work either. When I try to download the file to my iPhone via Bluetooth, it does not see it. I try to pair my phone as instructed and neither my phone or the PCM seem to find one another. This is despite the fact that my phone is successfully paired to the car for phone calls, playing mp3 music files, and using the Track Precision app. What am I doing wrong? Also, once I am able to transfer the files, how do I view them my Mac?

Thanks for the help,

Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts