Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Still in the configuration phase and doing a trade-off exercise. On a Boxster S, each of these two options (Sport Chrono and Carrera S Wheels) add about the same cost, so I'm looking for opinions on which is money better spent. Yes, I realize they're very different, but still curious for thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sport Chrono. No brainer.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You can always pick up different wheels later and swap them. You can't add SC later.
I agree, wheels are easy to swap, I'm sure someone will sell you their Carrera S wheels for a reasonable price. Used the stock wheels for the winter or track.

·
Registered
747 Posts
This 981 CS has the SC . Like the rev matching and motor mounts. The dash clock is a joke totally worthless! Why don't they have it reading lap times like the dash that way you could still read oil temp and use the lap timer. Carl

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
SC for the reasons stated below. Nothing wrong with 19s and can alway go to 20s later. People sell OEM wheels for a discount all of the time, or just get aftermarket.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
SC - No brainer at all. I was in the same dilema between the Sport Techno Wheels and SC and I went with SC and justified it to myself that I could get the wheels later. The Sports techno wheels are $6,800 bucks at Suncoast and I don't need an extra set of wheels either so now I decided not to get them at all.

I should have gotten both at time of order. I ended up getting the Cayman S wheels because I like the 5 spoke setup (it looks cleaner to me and easier to clean) but they are a little chunky.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I do agree with the posters who tell you that you can always swap wheels. However, you haven't said what your build is going to be. Personally, I would not bother with SC in a MT car. If the car is PDK, I do like the option more for the throttle blips and sound than for anything else. Sport Plus is basically meant for the track. On the street, it holds the gears too long and basically burns more gas while making a bit more noise. The dynamic engine mounts are a plus but basically unnecessary for day to day driving. Launch Control is a gimmick and something most people use infrequently. It's nice to demo but, other than a track start, not needed. I know you will hear many different opinions here and lots of drivers who will feel differently but, since they are only opinions, if the car is a DD and you are trying to keep the build price down, I would forego the SC option. If you intend to track it, then I would add it. Either way, good luck.

Hello all. Still in the configuration phase and doing a trade-off exercise. On a Boxster S, each of these two options (Sport Chrono and Carrera S Wheels) add about the same cost, so I'm looking for opinions on which is money better spent. Yes, I realize they're very different, but still curious for thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
In my opinion SC is a must with PDK if you are going to track the car at all (probably even auto-x). PDK with SC is great at the track, upshifting at redline and throttle matching all the downshifts, which allows the driver to concentrate on the line, acceleration, and braking. I purchased both, spent more than I wanted, and don't regret it for a minute.

Reactions: speeddeacon

·
4,105 Posts
I would agree with Michael that your build matters with the SC option. I think the SC with a pdk for street driving probably is not worth it since it holds the shift point at the red line.

However a 6MT with SC on the street is just great because of the rev matching. I drive in sports+ all the time.

If you are tracking it, SC is a must regardless of the transmission.

Also, don't forget that SC gives you a lot more other little tech goodies. To name a few: g-force meter (for bragging rights), relaxes PSM engagement point in sports+ mode, transmission dampers, better throttle response, ability to download data from your car (GPS, G-force, rpm, gear, mph etc) - and then you can upload into a software program like race renderer and pair with your GoPro video. Also a performance screen that can also draw the track course on the screen and some other stuff......

Get the SC. It's cool.

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It is not like the car doesn't come with wheels! You still get nice wheels. But the SC is integrated into the car and is a performance oriented function. I would even consider stock wheels now and aftermarket wheels later, new or used. With SC now, you still have a choice later. With wheels now, you have no choice later.

but beware! We have all been in your dilemma before with one highly desired option or another. You will find out that most of us caved and just got both (or more). Welcome to specing out a Porsche!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My mistake on the SC with MT. I hadn't thought about the Sport Plus in manual. It is not so great on the street with a PDK but I love having the it.

I would agree with Michael that your build matters with the SC option. I think the SC with a pdk for street driving probably is not worth it since it holds the shift point at the red line.

However a 6MT with SC on the street is just great because of the rev matching. I drive in sports+ all the time.

If you are tracking it, SC is a must regardless of the transmission.

Also, don't forget that SC gives you a lot more other little tech goodies. To name a few: g-force meter (for bragging rights), relaxes PSM engagement point in sports+ mode, transmission dampers, better throttle response, ability to download data from your car (GPS, G-force, rpm, gear, mph etc) - and then you can upload into a software program like race renderer and pair with your GoPro video. Also a performance screen that can also draw the track course on the screen and some other stuff......

Get the SC. It's cool.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
but beware! We have all been in your dilemma before with one highly desired option or another. You will find out that most of us caved and just got both (or more). Welcome to specing out a Porsche!
Options are meant to be checked, when I ordered new, I used to click on all options except automatic transmission but most brand max out at about $10K unlike Porsches.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
That is certainly the case.
When the dust settled in bought a manual Cayman S with 22k in options…and I love everyone of them!
Heading out for a drive now. The number of driving days I have left until Spring are numbered.

Options are meant to be checked, when I ordered new, I used to click on all options except automatic transmission but most brand max out at about $10K unlike Porsches.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Also, don't forget that SC gives you a lot more other little tech goodies. To name a few: g-force meter (for bragging rights), relaxes PSM engagement point in sports+ mode, transmission dampers, better throttle response, ability to download data from your car (GPS, G-force, rpm, gear, mph etc) -
Is there something I've missed where you can download this data later, or is this just the usual way via the OBD port where you use an external logger?

·
Registered
851 Posts
On the street I don't think I use any of the SC package except the g-meter, which is just fun. I'd be relatively happy without it, if I didn't intend to ever drive on track (which I do). On the other hand, I don't see the appeal of 20" wheels and think the ride is a bit on the firm side with 19" ones, so (barring an intention to drive on track), I'd skip both.

·
4,105 Posts
Is there something I've missed where you can download this data later, or is this just the usual way via the OBD port where you use an external logger?
You can download it to your USB stick. It's a .csv file that excel can read and so can race renderer. In the performance screen, there is a "transfer data" selection and it gets sent to your USB stick. You have to be recording it though first (i.e. start the chrono clock in your TFT), then stop it and the recording is there in a list.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
This isn't a feature of SC though, is it? Isn't this the optional data logger? This is one thing I passed on.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts