Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Sport Chrono vs. Carrera S Wheels

7K views 61 replies 25 participants last post by  Pokerhobo 
#1 ·
Hello all. Still in the configuration phase and doing a trade-off exercise. On a Boxster S, each of these two options (Sport Chrono and Carrera S Wheels) add about the same cost, so I'm looking for opinions on which is money better spent. Yes, I realize they're very different, but still curious for thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

#9 · (Edited)
SC - No brainer at all. I was in the same dilema between the Sport Techno Wheels and SC and I went with SC and justified it to myself that I could get the wheels later. The Sports techno wheels are $6,800 bucks at Suncoast and I don't need an extra set of wheels either so now I decided not to get them at all.

I should have gotten both at time of order. I ended up getting the Cayman S wheels because I like the 5 spoke setup (it looks cleaner to me and easier to clean) but they are a little chunky.

#10 ·
I do agree with the posters who tell you that you can always swap wheels. However, you haven't said what your build is going to be. Personally, I would not bother with SC in a MT car. If the car is PDK, I do like the option more for the throttle blips and sound than for anything else. Sport Plus is basically meant for the track. On the street, it holds the gears too long and basically burns more gas while making a bit more noise. The dynamic engine mounts are a plus but basically unnecessary for day to day driving. Launch Control is a gimmick and something most people use infrequently. It's nice to demo but, other than a track start, not needed. I know you will hear many different opinions here and lots of drivers who will feel differently but, since they are only opinions, if the car is a DD and you are trying to keep the build price down, I would forego the SC option. If you intend to track it, then I would add it. Either way, good luck.

#11 ·
In my opinion SC is a must with PDK if you are going to track the car at all (probably even auto-x). PDK with SC is great at the track, upshifting at redline and throttle matching all the downshifts, which allows the driver to concentrate on the line, acceleration, and braking. I purchased both, spent more than I wanted, and don't regret it for a minute.

Reactions: speeddeacon
#12 · (Edited)
I would agree with Michael that your build matters with the SC option. I think the SC with a pdk for street driving probably is not worth it since it holds the shift point at the red line.

However a 6MT with SC on the street is just great because of the rev matching. I drive in sports+ all the time.

If you are tracking it, SC is a must regardless of the transmission.

Also, don't forget that SC gives you a lot more other little tech goodies. To name a few: g-force meter (for bragging rights), relaxes PSM engagement point in sports+ mode, transmission dampers, better throttle response, ability to download data from your car (GPS, G-force, rpm, gear, mph etc) - and then you can upload into a software program like race renderer and pair with your GoPro video. Also a performance screen that can also draw the track course on the screen and some other stuff......

Get the SC. It's cool.

Reactions: michael818
#14 ·
My mistake on the SC with MT. I hadn't thought about the Sport Plus in manual. It is not so great on the street with a PDK but I love having the it.

#13 ·
It is not like the car doesn't come with wheels! You still get nice wheels. But the SC is integrated into the car and is a performance oriented function. I would even consider stock wheels now and aftermarket wheels later, new or used. With SC now, you still have a choice later. With wheels now, you have no choice later.

but beware! We have all been in your dilemma before with one highly desired option or another. You will find out that most of us caved and just got both (or more). Welcome to specing out a Porsche!

#15 ·
but beware! We have all been in your dilemma before with one highly desired option or another. You will find out that most of us caved and just got both (or more). Welcome to specing out a Porsche!
Options are meant to be checked, when I ordered new, I used to click on all options except automatic transmission but most brand max out at about $10K unlike Porsches.

#18 ·
On the street I don't think I use any of the SC package except the g-meter, which is just fun. I'd be relatively happy without it, if I didn't intend to ever drive on track (which I do). On the other hand, I don't see the appeal of 20" wheels and think the ride is a bit on the firm side with 19" ones, so (barring an intention to drive on track), I'd skip both.

#21 ·
Tis isn't a feature of SC though, is it? Isn't this the optional data logger? This is one thing I passed on.
I'm not familiar with the optional "data logger". Maybe that is a Canadian thing? It just came with my SC package.

#22 ·
Under Audio and Communications there's an option called Electronic Logbook. It's $660 and since I didn't think I'd use it more than a couple times to play with it, I passed. The description seems like what you're talking about:

Allows the automatic recording of current mileage, distance covered, date and time as well as the starting point and destination for each trip.
Includes PC software for subsequent processing of logged data.

#23 ·
Yeah, that is something totally different than the SC downloadable data. You need SC for that.

P.S. To the OP - Sorry for the thread hijack!

#26 ·
Alas, I don't have the data download option (and I do have the SC option). I suspect it is the logbook option, maybe in conjunction with SC.

The iManual (which is only up to 2014) has details of the transfer data etc, for ours (a 2015), its been moved to the PCM manual. When I get to the "Set Car" screen, I don't have the "Set Logbook" option. I also don't have the Logbook screen under Car:Option.

If it does need the logbook option, I have reason to be annoyed with my SA, he talked me out of that one.

#27 ·
Have you looked for that data transfer option in the performance screen? I'm just parroting what Subshooter said here, as I have no idea what a "performance screen" even looks like, but I've done a bit more research this afternoon and I'm pretty sure the Logbook option is unrelated and more useful for people who might log their mileage and stuff for business purposes.

Well... firstly... have you used the SC options to log tracks in the first place? That's definitely an SC thing having nothing to do with Electronic Logbook. It might stand to reason though that if you've never used it, then you wouldn't have any data to be transferred.

And NOW we're officially thread-jacking. :D Maybe start a new topic for this?

#29 ·
I will make a video tonight to show you guys. It will be a lot easier than using words. Later this month, I am going to figure out how to use Race Renderer. RaceRender 3 Video+Data | Features It's a free download for the basic version. You upload your SC data into race render to make some really cool videos.

I don't have the log book option. That is unrelated to what we are talking about.

Reactions: Wild Weasel
#31 ·
OP,

The Carrera S wheels are really nice and for me, I think they make the car. I opted out of SC because for the most part, I think it is a toy. I like to do my own throttle blipping but the only worthwhile part of the package is the auto blip.

#32 ·
Reactions: Wild Weasel
#33 · (Edited)
I agree with everybody here, it totally depends on where your priorities lie. Do you want the functionality that SC adds (for tracking or Sport+ driving) or prefer the looks of the 20 inch wheels? In my case, with MT, I chose neither. I'd love to have them both but wanted to spend my budget on other things. Had I wanted/ordered PDK, I'd have gotten SC though, for the added functionality and integration with that transmission. I think PDK in a GTS would be a good combo because it comes with PASM, SC and PSE, you just have to add the PDK.

#35 ·
I've both, but for every day use, the SC is a waste. It's nice to have, but you can live without it ;-)
Do you have 6mt or pdk? I feel like SC does more for pdk but is actually more useful on a regular basis with a manual. I make this judgement based only on my test drives of both. I know if I had a pdk, I'd probably feel like a dork driving around with the engine screaming at 4k+ rpm all the time on a casual drive, but with the manual in sport plus I could play with the auto rev match and generally drive around without feeling like a hooligan.

#36 ·
Personally, I don't have sport chrono and don't see what the point is. The stopwatch in the dash looks kinda lame and pointless. No doubt this design is going away in the future.

sport mode has its use, but standard mode and driving more aggressive is more natural for me. Sport mode pedal already feels too sensitive and I don't see why you would want sport plus

launch control is pointless other than for show...you be crazy to use that at stoplights.

on standard, you still can see lat and long g pull.

Larger wheels on the other hand do improve handling naturally all the time and there is no extra button.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.