Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post - apologies if I don't get my terminology quite right...

I've just placed a factory order for a (manual) Carrara White Cayman S with the following options:

* LSD
* Short shift g/box
* Sports exhaust
* 19" Carrera Sport wheels
* PASM

(here in Australia Nav / usb / ipod etc is standard)

Whilst I'm not looking to spend any more money on options (I'm already waaay over budget) I am interested to know if it's worth getting Sport Chrono too?

From what I've read SC is beneficial for those with PDK - but what about with manual g/boxes? As far as I know the only 2 benefits would be:

1. Heightened throttle sensitivity.
2. Traction control allows a bit more slip before it cuts in.

I don't care too much about the 1st point as I hated this when I had it on my E46 M3...but I do quite like the sound of the 2nd point.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Welcome to the club!
What state are you in?

I have manual and the SC. Let me say without it the SC, the PSM nannies the car too much if you like to go around corners quickly..

·
Registered
186 Posts
SC with a 6-speed is less "necessary" than with PDK, in my opinion, but I do have it on my car (with a 6-speed) and I find it to be very worthwhile. You might do a little more digging into what it does -- there is more than just the 2 things you mention. Initially I had thought it was limited to just those things as well and didn't think I'd bother. Upon further research I discovered that there is a lot of reconfiguration of how the car behaves when SC is on, however, and I decided to get it. It really puts the car in more of a track mode overall.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
2010 Cayman S 6 speed with SC,PASM,PSE and LSD here. I definitely notice the change in the throttle map,but for the street I don't think it's absolutely :)necessary. You can always just turn the PSM off. FWIW I like the drive with all the buttons pushed in. I especially like PASM sport mode and the PSE.:)

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Sports Chrono gives a noticable change in performance due and on my chipped 06 CS it is like night and day, and without Sport on the car feels a little sluggish.

As also said by others is that in Sport mode the PSM allows a little more spirited driving before kicking in.

One important factor for me is that when the throttle becomes more sensitive in Sport mode it makes it much easier and better to heel-toe downshift.

·
3,755 Posts
One important factor for me is that when the throttle becomes more sensitive in Sport mode it makes it much easier and better to heel-toe downshift.
Yes absolutely! And fast up shifts are even better rev matched.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My 2010 CS has the following: 6sMT, LSD, short shifter, PASM, SC, etc. I can tell you the following from a personal experience: I cannot see any difference in performance or feel when driving with SC turned on. As far as PASM is concerned, the ride gets a little pumpy and harsh with PASM on. I have 18" wheels. Hope this helps.
:thanks:

·
3,755 Posts
My 2010 CS has the following: 6sMT, LSD, short shifter, PASM, SC, etc. I can tell you the following from a personal experience: I cannot see any difference in performance or feel when driving with SC turned on. As far as PASM is concerned, the ride gets a little pumpy and harsh with PASM on. I have 18" wheels. Hope this helps.
:thanks:
SC only changes the accel pedal senstivity and PSM thresholds. Does not change anything else.

·
3,755 Posts
Correction, SC on does change a few more minor things, but I just mentioned the main ones that you can notice as a daily driver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your replies - lots of interesting points. Still undecided though!

One thing I've just thought of is that (if I get SC) it means I can't use the PSE without activating the SC too. Is this true? I will want the PSE on all the time - but I don't fancy having the aggressive throttle map on all the time. It's a shame you can't define exactly what you want activated (and it remembers the setting for next time you drive the car). If you could I would default it to: PASM in normal, PSE on, PSM threshold raised, normal throttle and hard rev-limiter.

Or perhaps I'm just putting too much thought into all this...

(4by4: I am in Qld).

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Thanks for all your replies - lots of interesting points. Still undecided though!

One thing I've just thought of is that (if I get SC) it means I can't use the PSE without activating the SC too. Is this true? I will want the PSE on all the time - but I don't fancy having the aggressive throttle map on all the time. It's a shame you can't define exactly what you want activated (and it remembers the setting for next time you drive the car). If you could I would default it to: PASM in normal, PSE on, PSM threshold raised, normal throttle and hard rev-limiter.

Or perhaps I'm just putting too much thought into all this...

(4by4: I am in Qld).
I also have CS Manual, LSD, & SC and like the difference that the SC provides. I like it because it controls the interference from the PSE and allows the engine to REV flat out to redline. If you want to look at droping some options I would do some research on the 19" wheels and the PASM. My advice would be to drive a non PASM car with 18" wheels. You might be suprised and save yourself some money. You do have some time to change the options. Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want to look at droping some options I would do some research on the 19" wheels and the PASM. My advice would be to drive a non PASM car with 18" wheels. You might be suprised and save yourself some money. You do have some time to change the options. Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I expect the 18" rims are the better option dynamically...but I've just always loved the look of the 19" Carrera Sports! I was under the impression that with pasm the 19" wheel option wouldn't be too bad? (I currently have a 987 Boxster S with 19" sport design without pasm and on some roads it can get a bit choppy - whilst it's tolerably I wish I had pasm). Another option is to go with the 19" forged options (turbo & turbo II)...I expect they're lighter than the Carrera Sports (so that might help) - but I've not been able to find out their weights. But I digress...

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I expect the 18" rims are the better option dynamically...but I've just always loved the look of the 19" Carrera Sports! I was under the impression that with pasm the 19" wheel option wouldn't be too bad? (I currently have a 987 Boxster S with 19" sport design without pasm and on some roads it can get a bit choppy - whilst it's tolerably I wish I had pasm). Another option is to go with the 19" forged options (turbo & turbo II)...I expect they're lighter than the Carrera Sports (so that might help) - but I've not been able to find out their weights. But I digress...
The ride is harsh because with 19" the tire sidewall is smaller and you loose the additional flex that you get with an 18' wheel and tire package. The weight of the wheel is not a factor in the ride quality. If you looks of the 19" are important and you can not get the look that you want in a after market rim 18" then go with the PASM to help offset the harsh ride quality of the 19". Good luck.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The ride is harsh because with 19" the tire sidewall is smaller and you loose the additional flex that you get with an 18' wheel and tire package. The weight of the wheel is not a factor in the ride quality. If you looks of the 19" are important and you can not get the look that you want in a after market rim 18" then go with the PASM to help offset the harsh ride quality of the 19". Good luck.
With 19" Sport Design and PASM on normal mode ride quality is quite acceptable on all but the roughest roads-and I mean rough-I've tried out some real mean and rough roads with both PASM settings this week. Sometimes I like it nice and sometimes rough, and other times nice and rough. It lets you know you're ;)in a sports car.:crazy:

·
Registered
976 Posts
The ride is harsh because with 19" the tire sidewall is smaller and you loose the additional flex that you get with an 18' wheel and tire package. The weight of the wheel is not a factor in the ride quality.
This is true, but in case you're curious about wheel info on the Carrera Sports vs the 997.1 Turbo wheels:

997.362.156.55 Carrera Sport front 8.5 x 19 ET55 (10.6kg/23.4lb)
997.362.160.50 Carrera Sport rear 10 x 19 ET42 (12.4 kg/27.3lb)

997.362.156.02 Turbo front 8 x 19 ET57 (10.3kg\22.7lb)
997.362.158.08 Turbo rear 9.5 x 19 ET46 (11.1kg\24.5lb)

Don't have the info on the new 997.2 Turbo wheels. Of Note the Carrera Sports weigh slightly more, but are also wider so you'll be able to put more rubber on the road. I'm not an expert on handling characteristics, not sure if a lighter wheel or more rubber on the ground is better in this case.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
This is true, but in case you're curious about wheel info on the Carrera Sports vs the 997.1 Turbo wheels:

997.362.156.55 Carrera Sport front 8.5 x 19 ET55 (10.6kg/23.4lb)
997.362.160.50 Carrera Sport rear 10 x 19 ET42 (12.4 kg/27.3lb)

997.362.156.02 Turbo front 8 x 19 ET57 (10.3kg\22.7lb)
997.362.158.08 Turbo rear 9.5 x 19 ET46 (11.1kg\24.5lb)

Don't have the info on the new 997.2 Turbo wheels. Of Note the Carrera Sports weigh slightly more, but are also wider so you'll be able to put more rubber on the road. I'm not an expert on handling characteristics, not sure if a lighter wheel or more rubber on the ground is better in this case.
Weight is important from a performance standpoint, Porsche 19" wheels and tire package will weight more than the the same 18" wheel and tire package and will add more unsprung weight to the car which equals less performance. You will be asking the engine with the same horsepower to accelerate with heavy wheels/tires. Don't think if changes effects ride quality in a significant fashion. Again if looks are imporant, get the PASM, I have driven CS with 19" with and without and would not advise the 19" without the PASM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice - I've ended up ordering the SC too. Also wanted to put a bit of contrast in the (black) interior so have gone for some parts painted in exterior color.

Specs now are:

* Carrara white with black interior
* Short shift g/box
* Sports exhaust
* 19" Carrera Sport wheels
* PASM
* LSD
* SC
* Sports seats
* Interior design package painted exterior color
* Rear section of centre console in exterior color

Oh well, it's only money...:eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.