Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking up a base 981. Don't want anything but sports plus seats.

However. Every car I've seen and just about every order I've seen on here has the sport design wheel. I think it looks kinda plasticy and cheap. For $400 and change, I was thinking of ordering it and just removing it and selling it on ebay. I have an extra alcantara 997.2 wheel which should be a direct fit.

Anyway, kinda confused about this stupid wheel. Couldn't they have made a nicer looking sport wheel? This is for a manual car with no multifunction.

Also, if anyone has a lead on a dealer willing to give a nice discount on a 2015 on the east coast feel free to send me a PM.

Can someone also confirm for me that the standard wheel and sport wheel use the same airbag. I'm about 99.9% certain they do. Thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Where in the east coast? I'm in NJ and just ordered a Cayman S w/ a 7.5% discount...not too shabby, took care of NJ taxes. I've heard people getting over 10% (sometimes closer to 18%) off 2014 cars sitting on the lot, though. I couldn't get anyone around here to go below 8% off an ordered car, though, and the dealer that was entertaining 8% was giving me less for my trade.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Looking at picking up a base 981. Don't want anything but sports plus seats.

However. Every car I've seen and just about every order I've seen on here has the sport design wheel. I think it looks kinda plasticy and cheap. For $400 and change, I was thinking of ordering it and just removing it and selling it on ebay. I have an extra alcantara 997.2 wheel which should be a direct fit.

Anyway, kinda confused about this stupid wheel. Couldn't they have made a nicer looking sport wheel? This is for a manual car with no multifunction.

Also, if anyone has a lead on a dealer willing to give a nice discount on a 2015 on the east coast feel free to send me a PM.

Can someone also confirm for me that the standard wheel and sport wheel use the same airbag. I'm about 99.9% certain they do. Thanks.
Although I agree that the silver plastic looks a bit cheap, the overall design is slightly better than the standard wheel.

On a Manual car, the Sport Design wheel is $250, not $400.

The 997.2 wheel might look the same externally, but don't be so sure it can be swapped-in. Confirm with a dealer first.

All 981/991 cars use the same airbag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A competent dealer would be leery of liability of selling a 981/991 gen car with a 987/997 gen steering wheel/airbag, IMO, esp with recent recalls for danger prone airbags/ inflators that may not appear until many many years later

I think a private seller should worry , too, since I suspect manufacturer washes their hands of blame if wheel is no longer the OEM spec developed , harmonized and DOT tested/certified as a complete system for that model years structure, force limiters in the belts, ancillary head/side airbag sizes , inflation dynamics, etc,etc, that can be tracked down to a particular VIN

I'm sure there are many here willing to swap with a base 981 one, as more here seem to prefer the SD wheel..that's the best thing to do vs selling it outright on fleabay, imo

·
Registered
271 Posts
I like the Sport Design wheel. When I bought my 06 CS I hated the wheel and replaced it with a Tech Art wheel at a ridiculous price. I want to say it was like $1600. I transferred it to my 09 CS and it went with that car. I have a manual and the Sport wheel was a $250 option. I think the stock wheel and multi-function on the 981 are ugly.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
This is how I like my steering wheel but can't get it so I get Sport Design Steering wheel instead. Also, I bought my with one extra pedal like in the picture. Three pedals for less than the price of two pedals, such a great deal that I can't pass up.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
This is how I like my steering wheel but can't get it so I get Sport Design Steering wheel instead.
+1.........I would love to have an original Porsche Nardi steering wheel which is wood w/rivets for display in my office. I believe they are $$$.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is the same airbag, I couldn't even begin to imagine what the liability would be. I wasn't going to have a dealer do it. I can do it myself.

What I was really asking is if I could take a 991/981 out and replace with a 997.2 wheel. The 991/981 airbag would go into the 997 wheel.

The current issue with airbag recalls is a whole bunch of shrapnel.

For 250. I think I'll just get it since most people seem to like it and I'll figure out the rest later. When you have 2 spare alcantara 997.2 wheels you tend to try to think of uses for them.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I'm another person who likes the sport wheel. I think it goes along with the rest of the metal trim in the cabin. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Sport wheel is pretty cool and noteworthy are the paddles. Otherwise multi functional wheel is better than standard and an option I'd recommend.

think you need to upgrade the steering wheel to get any form of paddles. I like the ones in the multi wheel because you don't need both hands on the wheel to manually shift quick. The sport wheel removes the extra buttons that might get in the way in spirited paddle shifting.

id get one or the other

·
Registered
167 Posts
I also like my Sports Design Steering Wheel; I think it looks great and works well for my needs with the PDK. I waited a couple of years in order to buy a Boxster with the Sports Design Wheel (originally an option on the 911 Turbo). I was put off by the multifunction steering wheel option with thumb shifters. The best steering wheel IMHO would be something like what is on 918 or the Macan; it combines the best of the sports design wheel with a multi-function wheel. That way you could have the paddle shifters, in addition to the convenience of buttons or thumb wheels like the multifunction steering wheel. I hope they add that option in any mid-cycle refresh of the 981.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also like my Sports Design Steering Wheel; I think it looks great and works well for my needs with the PDK. I waited a couple of years in order to buy a Boxster with the Sports Design Wheel (originally an option on the 911 Turbo). I was put off by the multifunction steering wheel option with thumb shifters. The best steering wheel IMHO would be something like what is on 918 or the Macan; it combines the best of the sports design wheel with a multi-function wheel. That way you could have the paddle shifters, in addition to the convenience of buttons or thumb wheels like the multifunction steering wheel. I hope they add that option in any mid-cycle refresh of the 981.
Agreed! I am sure it will be an option soon enough.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the SD Wheel as well ... hopefully Porsche gives us the new design (from the 918/Macan) for the 981.2 (and 991.2) ...

preview.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts