Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after driving the Cayenne for a while, I really like the multifunction wheel. The cold snap we're having has also highlighted how nice a heated steering wheel can be.

On the other hand, I like the look of the Sport Design better.

Given the assumption that I think PDK is faster and better than any human (perhaps short of a pro driver, though the 911 Turbo only comes with PDK...), I don't think I'll be slapping paddles on a regular basis.

Has anyone gone with the multi-function and regretted doing so? Or gone with the Sport after having used the multifunction and regretted it?

Of course, the ideal solution is the new multifunction Sport, a la the 918, Macan and new Cayenne, but I doubt that will become a possibility until 2016.

·
Registered
911 Posts
While I haven't driven a Porsche with the steering wheel buttons, I have them on my BMW. With the Sport Design wheel it is simple to access all of the multifunction wheel's functions by means of the 4th steering column stalk so I don't miss the wheel controls in the least.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'll go the other way. I have ~ 27000km on my 981BS with sport design steering wheel.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Given the assumption that I think PDK is faster and better than any human (perhaps short of a pro driver, though the 911 Turbo only comes with PDK...), I don't think I'll be slapping paddles on a regular basis.
I do slap the paddles on a regular basis, except when I'm competing when the speed matters. The car's been driven for 4 days (total run time) so far, I've competed in it for about 8 minutes. So I don't think that the PDK is "better" than a human is really relevant. Also the shift strategy is more important than the shift efficiency for the driving experience, I disagree with the PDK on its shift strategy except when competing (in Sport+), or if I want to drive for economy (not something I do often in a sports car).

In short I'd be very unhappy with the car, without the paddles, which makes the semi-auto experience better than a manual. I do miss having media buttons on the wheel (the other cars have multifunction steering wheels, so I'm used to them, but they are manual).

·
Registered
276 Posts
No regrets coming from BMW and Audi multifunction wheels here. The 981 center console is so close to the driver that I don't feel like I'm missing any control access at all. A lot of the necessary functions are also on the right gauge control stalk, so to me it's still part of the wheel.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The MF steering wheel is great, and a much better choice on the manual car in my opinion (easier to use, and no reflective shiny plastic). If I had PDK, I'd go with the Sport Design wheel, though.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Sport wheel is clean and streamlined. It belongs on this car. And you get the paddles which, in my opinion, are a must have if you go PDK. if you have MT, you should be hammering gears vs fiddling with the radio lol

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Sport wheel is clean and streamlined. It belongs on this car. And you get the paddles which, in my opinion, are a must have if you go PDK. if you have MT, you should be hammering gears vs fiddling with the radio lol
This. Single purpose FTW. /imo

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I have MF & PDK and I love the buttons--can up or downshift with my right hand, feels easy. But I don't have any cars with paddles.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I also love the volume on the wheel--always adjusting it when top is down. And love the heated wheel for top down in cool weather. The Sport Design has plastic that looks like metal, which I don't like.

Reactions: Noah Fect

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Cayenne is no sports car and if I had one, I would have the MF steering wheel, the PCM is further away. And I highly doubt if I would ever used the paddles. For a sports car, I would rather have the paddles for more fun and control. The 918 steering wheel like you said is ideal, it has both.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I have the MF steering wheel and I have regrets. I should have gotten it heated.

That said, the sports steering wheel looks better. It belongs in a roadster. I got the MF wheel because I was use to it in my Lexus and really enjoyed it. Plus I am a button pusher and I like a lot of buttons. But, you don't need the MF wheel in the 981. Everything is easily accessible. However, I really don't think about this option choice very much one way or the other now that I have had the car for 16 months. That choice is almost inconsequential to me - kinda like the crest on the head rest....:)

I spend more time googling over my SC, PSE and leather interior!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also love the volume on the wheel--always adjusting it when top is down. And love the heated wheel for top down in cool weather. The Sport Design has plastic that looks like metal, which I don't like.
+1 on the fake metal look. I liked the feel of the standard wheel better as well. No need for the multi function as I find the controls to be within easy reach.

·
Registered
260 Posts
So you'd rather the plastic look like plastic? Until I read it someplace on this forum I didn't even know it wasn't real metal. I guess ignorance is bliss, but if you lined up 100 people and asked them about the wheel I'd venture 98 would say it was metal, it's that good a fake.

For me, coming from a '13 Audi S4 (gorgeous wheel) the standard wheel just looked......bad. The wheel in my '14 VW GLI is nicer IMHO.
So the SD was a no-brainer for me and I have a 6MT. With PDK I wouldn't even think twice about it. But to each his own :)

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I'm tactile. If something looks like something, I prefer that it feels like that thing.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Multifunctional wheel is a must have for me. I'm changing volume , skipping sound track, making calls, and tinkering with the right gauge more than I think I am. i much prefer the paddles integrated into the wheel and can be pressed up or down opposed to floppy paddles. With the multi wheel I can drive and do everything with my left hand. It's definitely an option high on my list.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I presently have a MF wheel. On my previous Cayman, I had a standard wheel with the multi function stalk. I have to say, I prefer the multi-function stalk. There's little I like about the muti-function buttons on the MF wheel. I use the buttons on the center console 95% of the time.

The only benefit I enjoy of the MF wheel is the optional heating. Put heating on the Sport Wheel, and it'd be perfect, IMO.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I was actually trying to get rid of as much of the plastic chrome stuff as I could so I went with the multi-function wheel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the multi-function wheel on a PDK car, and the jury is still out for me. I came from a 2013 Audi S4 and got hooked on having the buttons for taking calls etc on the wheel. This is my first automatic, so I am still getting used to using the buttons for shifting. I may look into the Techart paddles and add them to my wheel.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts