Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Cayman S with Sport Chrono and sport exhaust. You activate the exhaust by turning on Sport Chrono. I can feel the obvious difference in throttle response, but the exhaust sounds little different at all. I seem to recall someone saying the sport exhaust does not work at 25 - 40 mph. True? Are there are other circumstances where the system is turned off, regardless if I turned it on? Such as specific rpms, or...?

- Phil

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
No, just the speed will close the exhaust. Open you door, then press the button, do you hear the valves opening? You can clearly hear the PSE opening, if you do not, it is not working. By default the valves are open by the way. So at start up your exhaust should be louder, then close then the car is startes and not open again until you press the SC button. Again if you have your door open you can clearly hear the valves opening and closing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You will hear the valve open and close if you listen with the door open. The sports exhaust is not a major increase in volume, just an increase in growl and type of sound I find although above 4-4.5k rpm it will be noticeably different. There is a silencer built in for about 20-40 mph but before and after that speed you will hear it for sure. Can you make a quick video reving with sport on and off and post it ? This way we can hear the difference. I have the same setup on my car.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You will hear the valve open and close if you listen with the door open. The sports exhaust is not a major increase in volume, just an increase in growl and type of sound I find although above 4-4.5k rpm it will be noticeably different. There is a silencer built in for about 20-40 mph but before and after that speed you will hear it for sure. Can you make a quick video reving with sport on and off and post it ? This way we can hear the difference. I have the same setup on my car.
Very well put. After I shelled out for the PSE I wondered how I would know if it was working. I can definitely hear the lower pitch and rumble to the sound but not much volume change until high RPM, and even then the increase is not dramatic. Never thought to listen with doors open to hear the valve open and close so I'm going to try that tonight.:thanks:

·
Registered
625 Posts
My sales rep demo'd PSE when I was choosing options and I couldn't tell the difference unless it was turned off and on, and that was standing behind the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Generally the difference between the two modes is fairly clearly audible as you rev the car standing still (windows rolled down). And of course the clicks of the valve opening.

Another way of testing it is to drive the car in 3rd or 4th at 5000rpm with 'sport' on and then switch it off while you are driving. The drop in amplitude is hard to miss!

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I took a 1400 mile trip to break in my new 2010 CS with PSE last week. I was on I-5 near Sacramento and was calling ahead to make a hotel reservation and the clerk said a room was available but warned me that there were no pets allowed. I said no problem and she said she thought she heard a dog growling in the background. I told her it was my car. Had a good laugh!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
At idle in garage with window down very definite sound as PSE switched off and on. Much deeper rumble with PSE, even without touching throttle. All posts above spot on!:thanks:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Super!

And as luck would have it, my PSE has stopped working now ... I have called the service guys, lets see what they can do (suspect will take the exhaust away for weeks!)

Anyone else been through this and has some quick ideas on making it work again?

Here is what happens .. when i start the car, it is in open mode (wont mind if it got jammed there!) but then within a second it goes to closed and then on pressign the sport button as well it doesn't go to the open mode .. no valves, no change in sound, no louder growl!

The only thing worse than not having a good exhaust note is to have it and then nto ahve it anymore!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Super!

And as luck would have it, my PSE has stopped working now ... I have called the service guys, lets see what they can do (suspect will take the exhaust away for weeks!)

Anyone else been through this and has some quick ideas on making it work again?

Here is what happens .. when i start the car, it is in open mode (wont mind if it got jammed there!) but then within a second it goes to closed and then on pressign the sport button as well it doesn't go to the open mode .. no valves, no change in sound, no louder growl!

The only thing worse than not having a good exhaust note is to have it and then nto ahve it anymore!
It might just be a vacuum leak. That's what mine was--easy fix by the dealer, not even 1 day to do the work....

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
well
I pulled the trigger today and order PSE for my 2009 pdk cayman s.($ 50% in advance).Forgot to ask about installing price.
The porsche dealer said it is going to take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive :(
This is my first mods apart from window tint (vkool).
I had to convince myself this was the way to go after reading all the threads here. I was afraid going aftermarket voiding you know what.
Hope I did it right,
any comments would be very appreciate :gossip:
:thanks:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
well
I pulled the trigger today and order PSE for my 2009 pdk cayman s.($ 50% in advance).Forgot to ask about installing price.
The porsche dealer said it is going to take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive :(
This is my first mods apart from window tint (vkool).
I had to convince myself this was the way to go after reading all the threads here. I was afraid going aftermarket voiding you know what.
Hope I did it right,
any comments would be very appreciate :gossip:
:thanks:
Sounds nice ,but not such a big deal! Find myself using less and less!

·
Registered
352 Posts
The Sport Exhaust won't 'open' at idle and low rpm's as Porsche gets around the noise nazis that way. Won't matter what gear you are in, its going to take right at 3,800 rpm before it starts singing when its activated.

I was at a track day last month, playing tag with a Cayman S that has a stock exhaust. We had lots of folks watching us, their comments were that the stock Cayman S sounded like a really angry washing machine going by at speed, but my car with the Sports Exhaust fully opened made a wonderful shrieking banshee noise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Sport Exhaust won't 'open' at idle and low rpm's as Porsche gets around the noise nazis that way. Won't matter what gear you are in, its going to take right at 3,800 rpm before it starts singing when its activated.

I was at a track day last month, playing tag with a Cayman S that has a stock exhaust. We had lots of folks watching us, their comments were that the stock Cayman S sounded like a really angry washing machine going by at speed, but my car with the Sports Exhaust fully opened made a wonderful shrieking banshee noise.
now that's mroe like it! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
HI
I have read in the past that there are differences of PSE in Cayman generation 1 and 2 in terms of operation (opening and closing valves to certain revolutions per minute)
Anyone can comment on this?

thanks a lot

rex

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Hi,

My PSE seems to have stopped working as well. Does anyone know where to check for the vacuum leak which may be causing the malfunction? I don't hear the valve when I hit the Sport button and it's been about two days since I noticed the lack of the "growling" with Sport mode engaged. This is a 2008 Boxster S BTW.

Thanks in advance,
Franc

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi,

My PSE seems to have stopped working as well. Does anyone know where to check for the vacuum leak which may be causing the malfunction? I don't hear the valve when I hit the Sport button and it's been about two days since I noticed the lack of the "growling" with Sport mode engaged. This is a 2008 Boxster S BTW.

Thanks in advance,
Franc
Did it stop working and now it's always open/loud, or the other way around?
Because it's a negative pressure system, a leak would lead to a always opened exhaust, like unplugging the vacuum hose.

If it's quiet all the time then most likely the valves are stuck and don't open themselves under normal pressure.

I would suggest to visit your dealer. What you could also do is check the thing with unplugging the hose at the engine and suck and blow on that hose a little bit (erm...)

I did this too because I was curious and if the valves are stuck, it could help. But it could also damage it if you blow or suck too hard. :banana:

:hilarious:

·
Registered
252 Posts
seems like the PSE fails closed instead of fail open.. would make sense though. but yet unplugging the solenoid results in it being open all the time. This normally leads one to believe that it fails open.

some conflicting info above then....
I dun know the answer but the 2 things and reported incidents above don't quite add up to some observations.

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
I've got my appointment with Cantrell Motorsport booked for next Wednesday. Colin says, if I get there first thing, he can remove my factory exhaust (non PSE) carry out the Carnewal GT Exhaust modifications and have it back on for my drive home by early afternoon.

A friend in Paris with a 911 4S had PSE and told me how he loved the sound so much he always had it on. $2,810 seemed a lot for a switch I'd never want to turn off....

If anyone is interested...I'll let you know how it goes. If I can get some decent quality out of my little Flip Mino HD....I'll try and put together a video/sound clip.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts