Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by my salesman that the baffle is open until 4,000 rpms. He also told me that it is controled electronically and there is a wire you can cut to keep it open. Has anyone else heard of this?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Overall this is correct. There is a vaccum activated solenoid that closes during a certain RPM range to comply with European noise regulations.

If you remove the control mechanism that controls the soleniod (I'm not sure if this is a fuse or wire), this will leave the exhaust in "loud" mode all day long.

·
VLAGER
292 Posts
On each muffler there is solenoid valve that is controlled by vacuum. There is a small vacuum line to each valve with a small clamp. Loosen the clamp and remove the line. The system is now open all the time. Be sure to seal off the end of the valve and the vacuum line. I used a small stainless steel hose clamp and clamped the loose lines to the muffler bracket. My exhaust sounds better now, but if I had the cash I would buy an aftermarket catback system and get rid of the second set of cats.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I did my hack a bit further upstream. The vacuum lines from each side go up above the muffler and meet at the center of the car. They are fed by a vacuum line coming from the engine / passenger compartment and they all meet in a T intersection just above the muffler. I removed the line from the bottom of the T, placed a small screw in the line, taped it shut, taped the T shut, and then taped the line onto the T so it wouldn't be flopping around. Simple and effective. Permanent sport exhaust.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
There was a post here about one month ago about PSE. The consensus was the system stays on and does not cut out on the newer cars. Try a search

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I was told by my salesman that the baffle is open until 4,000 rpms. He also told me that it is controled electronically and there is a wire you can cut to keep it open. Has anyone else heard of this?

If anything I think it would be opposite, that it opens at higher RPM but as Croctor said in the previous thread most including myself hear no difference on the new cars.
:)

·
Registered
992 Posts
I had a sport exhaust on my 08'c.s. and I replaced it with a fab speed. When I changed out the stock system, I didn't notice any vacuum lines or valve that you mention. Is this the genII sport exhaust ?
Curious, but how do the Fabspeed and 'open' PSE sounds compare?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Curious, but how do the Fabspeed and 'open' PSE sounds compare?
It sounds a lot different. I also got the 200 cell cat's. The fab is a lot louder and the pitch is fuller in all octives. Do I like it...... I don't know. The sport exhaust sounded good but, didn't have the punch that the new exhaust has. I'm sure there are better sounding exhausts out there other than the fab. Lets put it to you that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts