Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been debating if I should order the Sport Exhaust or not. Is it worth the 2500.00 ? Anyone have the sport exhaust and wished they waited and went the after market way??? Not really looking for the HP gains, which will be minimal, but more of a growl.

Thanks Craig

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have been debating if I should order the Sport Exhaust or not. Is it worth the 2500.00 ? Anyone have the sport exhaust and wished they waited and went the after market way??? Not really looking for the HP gains, which will be minimal, but more of a growl.

Thanks Craig
If what you value is "more of a growl" and are ok with potential implications of after market mods, probably best to hear for yourself the "growl" on the many choices. Lots of sound clips out there but nothing like the in person / in cabin experience.

Regarding the Sport Exhaust, some do not like the cut off below 40mph and have taken steps to eliminate that.

Lots of other posts on this forum on the exhaust topic.

I've experienced the Sport Exhaust in 997C4s but I've heard neither the Sport Exhaust or other after market exhausts in the CS. I did decide to order Sport Exhaust for my 2010 build of CS....I placed value on integration from factory over other attributes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the Sports Exhaust and think its fab, I think it is good value for money.

Just make sure you go for Sports Chrono as when the engine is not in Sports mode the Exhaust note is reasonably quiet.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Go with the PSE as you do not care about performance increases, it avoids any issues with warranty and provides a little more of a vocal note which appears to be what you want.

Not sure good value are the right words through Carl, because it is expensive and offers no performance boost. However if it is a little more noise with no warranty problems then you may consider that as good value I guess.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey look man, my next door neighbour just bought a BMW 316i for the cost of my official red trimmed Porsche floor mats :banana:

Value is all relative to the individual and to Porsche! :)

The smile my exhaust and engine give me at the moment are worth the price i paid and then some!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I haven't opted for a sport exhaust because of all of the resonance issues I've read about most of them at 2K-4K rpm and I love the sound of the exhaust on my 986 the way it is. From what I've seen and listened to if I were to go for a deeper growl sound I'd spend $690 on the Sportech conversion where they take your stock muffler and remove 60% of the baffles. Great sound, no resonance, no smog or noise issues and a potential 11 HP gain.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The smile my exhaust and engine give me at the moment are worth the price i paid and then some!
No you're wrong...........it's priceless! My CS is in the workshop having some paintwork sorted and not only that but I'm back in Holland and the UK for three weeks and miss the thought I can't step outside and into my CS :wall:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Its my favourite option. Puts the biggest smile on my face. Worth every penny (or.. err... cent)

Also, you can leave it off when you don't want to draw attention to yourself or annoy the neighbours in the evening (or, if you are like me, 4AM when you go to work!)

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
My service dealer recommended me the sport exhaust when I inquired about when I told him I was interested in installing an after market exhaust system since you do have an option to turn it off or on. Anyone know what the $2500 option includes? I have a 2008 2.7 base cayman.

Thanks Craig

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
My service dealer recommended me the sport exhaust when I inquired about when I told him I was interested in installing an after market exhaust system since you do have an option to turn it off or on. Anyone know what the $2500 option includes? I have a 2008 2.7 base cayman.
The price will probably be higher as the price quoted is factory fit i think.

Anyway you'll get the cat back system, with valves fitted at the two muffler sections and a control valve/switch to open and close them fitted up at the top of the engine bay. For TUV noise regulations the controller will keep the valves closed at lower speeds before opening, and the system will either be controlled automatically or if you have Sports Chrono can be switched on/off with the Sport button.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The price will probably be higher as the price quoted is factory fit i think.

Anyway you'll get the cat back system, with valves fitted at the two muffler sections and a control valve/switch to open and close them fitted up at the top of the engine bay. For TUV noise regulations the controller will keep the valves closed at lower speeds before opening, and the system will either be controlled automatically or if you have Sports Chrono can be switched on/off with the Sport button.

Dunebasher,

So I do not need to have the sport Chrono with the PSE? Could you explain how the SC and the PSE works with each other, it still confusing to me.

Thanks,
pcw

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
The sport chrono provides an extra switch on the center console that when pressed remaps the throttle to be more sensitive (and also allows the PSM more leeway before it kicks in to correct a slide).

Now if you have the sport exhaust and sport chrono, the opening and closing of the valves on the exhaust for the louder sound will piggyback on this button. Press the sport button, throttle gets remapped and the exhaust gets louder.

For cars from the factory that have the sport exhaust but NOT the sport chrono, that extra button is still there on the console but it now only controls the exhaust sound.

Now if you retrofit a sport exhaust into an existing car with sport chrono, the button is already there and the dealer can program it to piggyback with the louder exhaust when pressed.

If your car doesn't have the sport chrono and you retrofit an exhaust, maybe the dealer will order a new faceplate and button for you but I'm not 100% sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts