Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does sport plus really feel different than regular sport mode as far as throttle response revs and engine/exhaust sound.
Other features of the sport chrono package don’t really interest me.
The package is very expensive in my country.
The porsche dealer here doesn’t have a test car to let me feel it.
Id like to learn and here from someone who actually tried both modes on a base 718 cayman so i can decide if to strech that extra mile and take this option when i order my car.
Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
feeling? yes, it’s different. The reason it is expensive are the dynamic transmission mounts. Just had to replace one. And 2 of them is approx 70% of the price of the sport chrono package option. Would I buy it again? probably not, Sport mode in manual does give 95% of the experiences, the PSE gives me more pops and bangs in Sport mode (disadvantage or advantage, it personal). Did flash my ECU anyway and tuning the PDK without having sport plus is also an option (Cobb or whatever). The extra dial on the dash? well, it’s nice but not really functional for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
feeling? yes, it’s different. The reason it is expensive are the dynamic transmission mounts. Just had to replace one. And 2 of them is approx 70% of the price of the sport chrono package option. Would I buy it again? probably not, Sport mode in manual does give 95% of the experiences, the PSE gives me more pops and bangs in Sport mode (disadvantage or advantage, it personal). Did flash my ECU anyway and tuning the PDK without having sport plus is also an option (Cobb or whatever). The extra dial on the dash? well, it’s nice but not really functional for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you're going to stay out of Normal mode, you should decide if you want to drive around all the time with the histrionic exhaust of Sport mode. The ability to turn that off is one of the things I most value about Sport+ mode in Sport Chrono. If you love the exhaust in Sport mode, and don't value other Sport Chrono features, it could be a good place to save some money.

And, on another forum, there's been some discussion as to whether the throttle mappings of Sport and Sport+ mode can actually serve to make Sport mode feel more responsive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're going to stay out of Normal mode, you should decide if you want to drive around all the time with the histrionic exhaust of Sport mode. The ability to turn that off is one of the things I most value about Sport+ mode in Sport Chrono. If you love the exhaust in Sport mode, and don't value other Sport Chrono features, it could be a good place to save some money.

And, on another forum, there's been some discussion as to whether the throttle mappings of Sport and Sport+ mode can actually serve to make Sport mode feel more responsive.
Thx for your advice. I thought the spe can be turned off in all modes by pressing the button. Im wrong?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thx for your advice. I thought the spe can be turned off in all modes by pressing the button. Im wrong?
PSE is programmed not by just the on/off button for the PSE itself, but burps and farts heavily in Sport mode, not in Sport + mode

·
Registered
253 Posts
PSE is programmed not by just the on/off button for the PSE itself, but burps and farts heavily in Sport mode, not in Sport + mode.
Got it. Thx!
I don't have PSE (2017 base Boxster) and for the first while I really wanted to be able to turn of the pops (I liked the growls) but they softened up as the exhaust built a layer or carbon inside and they no longer are as intrusive.

·
Registered
200 Posts
well, my “brandnew” 981S my2014 with 110.000 on the odo, cracks and farts as new, must be the lack of turbo’s

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also, don't forget that the Sport Chrono package adds automatic downshift rev matching in Sport and Sport+ mode. That could be a benefit or something you don't care for, or perhaps something you'd rather not have at all.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Also, don't forget that the Sport Chrono package adds automatic downshift rev matching in Sport and Sport+ mode. That could be a benefit or something you don't care for, or perhaps something you'd rather not have at all.
and combined with PSE and PDK keeps you flipping the shift paddles #enjoythesound

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have SC on my 981 and never use it anywhere but on the track. PDK auto-shifts are at the redline for upshift and maybe 3K RPM for the downshift, which is too high for street use.

If you plan to track your car, it's a worthy upgrade, but if not you won't really use it.

I'm not sure what the advantages are for a manual gearbox.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts