Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic has been debated in a number of threads but I would like an update for the 718. Is there a difference in comfort level between the 2-way Sport Seats and the 18-way Adaptive Sport Seats Plus? And if there is, what is it due to. I know one can do a ton of adjustments on the adaptive seats but is there something special in the build of the adaptive seats that make them right off the bat more comfortable than 2-way seats. I'm going w/ the blue sport tex seats but still hesitating between 2-way and 18-way. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey axoo007,
I just submitted my order a few days ago and had this very same question. At first, I was going to option the regular sport seats with the leather package, however, everyone mentioned that the sport seats plus were more comfortable. I went to the dealership to try out both seats and did not like the added bolstering on the sport seats plus. They felt intrusive near the shoulder (pushes them forward) and I couldn't rest my arms on the side. But seats are pretty important so I returned to the dealership again before my allocation froze and tried them both out again.

The sport seats plus really grew on me the second time even though I didn't have a good first impression. Initially, I thought they were hyped up because people equated "comfortable" with the added bolsters and sensation of being hugged, but that the seat surface itself where your butt rests was no different between the two models. On my second trip, however, I pressed on both seats and thought the sport seats plus were a bit more plush. Perhaps it's because they are covered fully in smooth finish leather and the regular sport seats are of the harder vinyl partial leather material. Anyways, after sitting in both seats for a while and multiple trips, I went with the sport seats plus. They are indeed worth the hype I think.

·
Registered
48 Posts
From my limited observation and experience this area is one that creates a bit of "hmmm" during the ordering phase. Oh the joy (and tension) of a la carte ordering. I had limited Porsche seat time (I did spend 2 days at Birmingham on track but was not too focused on seats at that time...) and I'm pretty rural in location and my closest dealer had almost zero inventory at the time I was ordering. Long story short-based on very limited experience and advise of brother in law (many year boxster owner) I got sport seats plus, 2 way, full leather interior. My advise is to spend a bit of time sitting on the seats in a car with the transmission you will order. Your position in a manual car v auto may be a bit different to ensure comfortable pedal work (I find I sit a bit closer in a manual car). The $$$ 18 way SSP have tons of adjustment particularly the nuances of front of seat (my nemesis), side bolsters, etc. it will take a bit more time and driving to find the sweet spot in the 2 way SSP. Despite their price (and weight disadvantage) in retrospect might have gotten the 18way had I more seat time. However, if you find you can get the perfect seat position, the 2 ways will be just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've owned several cars with normal sports seats and sports seats plus (2 way, 4 way and 18 way). Due an injury I cannot sit in a regular sports seat for more than 20 minutes, the seat is narrow behind my shoulders and puts pressure on a nerve I guess. The sports seats plus are shaped differently behind my shoulders and are very comfortable to me. I've spent many 4 hour plus trips in them. I drove a 718 recently that had 2 way sport seats plus and while they were also comfortable, they were not leather and felt "cheaper" than the full leather versions. I'm not a fan of the manual height adjustment of the 2 way either, but I'd still take those any day over the regular sports seats.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This topic has been debated in a number of threads but I would like an update for the 718. Is there a difference in comfort level between the 2-way Sport Seats and the 18-way Adaptive Sport Seats Plus? And if there is, what is it due to. I know one can do a ton of adjustments on the adaptive seats but is there something special in the build of the adaptive seats that make them right off the bat more comfortable than 2-way seats. I'm going w/ the blue sport tex seats but still hesitating between 2-way and 18-way. Thanks!
I think the first thing to do is to decide whether the sport seat or the sport seat plus fit you best. If you decide on the sport seat plus, then there are many advantages to getting the Adaptive 18-way seats vs the 2-way seats:

1. Far better adjustability to get that perfect driving position
2. You can make the bolsters tighter to hug you when on track
3. The seat filling material itself is plusher and less stiff and far more comfortable to sit on than the 2 way seats

Disadvantages
1. Cost
2. If you're supertall, the adaptive seat does not go as far down as the 2-way seat

For me its the 18-way seats every time.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've owned several cars with normal sports seats and sports seats plus (2 way, 4 way and 18 way). Due an injury I cannot sit in a regular sports seat for more than 20 minutes, the seat is narrow behind my shoulders and puts pressure on a nerve I guess. The sports seats plus are shaped differently behind my shoulders and are very comfortable to me. I've spent many 4 hour plus trips in them. I drove a 718 recently that had 2 way sport seats plus and while they were also comfortable, they were not leather and felt "cheaper" than the full leather versions. I'm not a fan of the manual height adjustment of the 2 way either, but I'd still take those any day over the regular sports seats.
I thought the sport seats plus are leather no? It's listed as smooth finished leather and the sport seats are listed as partial leather.

·
Registered
832 Posts
In my 987 I had standard sport seats (2 way). They were Ok but I always felt that the seat cushion was not tilted back enough. i.e. I was sliding forward every time I braked hard. I now have a 981 with sport seats plus (14 way). There is no difference in either padding or shoulder support that I can tell. However, these 14 way seats have cushion tilt adjust solving the "I'm sliding forward sensation". That in addition to the lumbar support is perfect and I do mean "perfect". PS, I also now have seat ventilation, which I can not recommend enough. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the first thing to do is to decide whether the sport seat or the sport seat plus fit you best. If you decide on the sport seat plus, then there are many advantages to getting the Adaptive 18-way seats vs the 2-way seats:

1. Far better adjustability to get that perfect driving position
2. You can make the bolsters tighter to hug you when on track
3. The seat filling material itself is plusher and less stiff and far more comfortable to sit on than the 2 way seats

Disadvantages
1. Cost
2. If you're supertall, the adaptive seat does not go as far down as the 2-way seat

For me its the 18-way seats every time.

Hope this helps...
#3 is exactly what I wanted to know. 18-way plus are indeed plusher than 2-way plus. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your answers! I'm a 5.9" skinny dude so sport seats plus fit me perfectly. Turns out the 18-way plus are plusher and more comfortable than the 2-way plus so I will option 18s. The only downside is that seat ventilation is not available with sports tex. I guess the tex account for the added breathability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.