Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took alook a the 2007 Cayman S order guide and did not see the sport shift kit listed as a standard item nor an option. Any body know anything about this?

Bill.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm sure they will remedy the situation. And even if it isn't on the guide the 2006 short shift kits should fit 2007 models.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Porsche is no longer offering the Sport Shifter as a factory installed option - it is now dealer installed. We have not received exact word as to why this is, but speculation points to Porsche not wanting to help people mess up their gear boxes prematurely (read: while under warranty). Porsche disclosed a few months ago (to dealers) that people were not engaging the clutch all the way with the Sport Shifter because the shifts were too short. Once the 2007 order sheets came out, we were able to speculate that this is the reason it is not a Germany/Finland option anymore.

*Purely Speculation as to the why. 100% certain it is not an option from Porsche at this time.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I just purchased a short shifter from Carlsen Porsche and will have it installed when I add the 9ff kit in September. Earlier I asked Jon at ReidVann, who will do my 9ff install, aboutinstalling the short shifter and he at first said they did not recommend it citing syncro problems that some had with short shifters. When I mentioned that this particular short shifter was a Porsche factory option, Jon said then it was probably OK. But this does bring up theconcern that somemay havehad transmissionsproblems, presumablyarising, as Poindexter mentioned, out of incomplete or delayed clutch action. It is interesting to note that Porsche has just removed the SS from its factory installed options list! Has anyone with the short shifter in this forum had any transmission problems?

Charles
Edited by - arcticsilver on 08/15/2006 06:46:59 AM

Edited by - arcticsilver on 08/15/2006 09:40:39 AM

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
redrocket has a poll under cayman complaints pursuant to clutch/shifting problems. While he specifically doesn't list the short shifter as one of his options, it would be interesting to know of those people experiencing these problems, what percentage have the SS option................

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
that would be interesting. I am getting the porsche ss installed next week by the dealership. all my problems with the clutch were with the standard shifter.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I haven't seen any correlation to short shifter and clutch problems. I have the short shifter and so far no clutch problems.
I agree - the gears engage in a very positive way and the distance the cables move to engage seems to be the same even if the shift mechanism itself has a shorter throw.

·
1,059 Posts
I have SS installed after delivery with no clutch problems so far. Step on that clutch!

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I just purchased a short shifter from Carlsen Porsche and will have it installed when I add the 9ff kit in September.... Has anyone with the short shifter in this forum had any transmission problems?

Charles

Only 800 miles, but no issues w/the SS. The box was a bit notchy when new, but it's now smooth & precise.

Charles - I'm interested in your 9ff upgrades & have spoken w/Jon about them. Iassume you've driven a Boxster/Cayman w/SS, but if not, you're welcome to try mine. I'm also in Clayton. I'm listed in the STL-PCA directory, or PM/email me.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Over 8K miles on the clock with the factory installed short shifter, and absolutely no, none, nada problems with the clutch or shifting. Behind the Sport Chrono and PASM, it's the best option I got on the car - by far. I simply can't imagine driving this car without it.

At the recent Porsche Parade in Portland, they used the first seven turns of Portland Int'l raceway as the course for the AX competition, and I'm glad I had the SS, as we spent a lot of time in 3rd gear, and there were two places requiring heel/toe downshifts from 3rd to 2nd. I was the fastest Cayman S that ran, and I beat all but two of the times posted by all stock 996s, 997s (including 997S - the fastest of the 997s was a Club Coupe with the X-51 HP package) and I covered all of the 996 Turbos and GT3s by 2.5 seconds. I ran in the Showroom Stock class where the car has to be run 'as delivered' from the dealer on street tires. I was only .7 seconds behind the top car in the 'Improved' classes that ran the next morning that included 911s and 914-6s with trick suspensions and DOT sticky tires, and had the rest of that field covered by 1.9 seconds.

brad

Edited by - beez on 08/15/2006 4:23:14 PM

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
At the recent Porsche Parade in Portland, they used the first seven turns of Portland Int'l raceway as the course for the AX competition, and I'm glad I had the SS, as we spent a lot of time in 3rd gear, and there were two places requiring heel/toe downshifts from 3rd to 2nd. I was the fastest Cayman S that ran, and I beat all but two of the times posted by all stock 996s, 997s (including 997S - the fastest of the 997s was a Club Coupe with the X-51 HP package) and I covered all of the 996 Turbos and GT3s by 2.5 seconds. I ran in the Showroom Stock class where the car has to be run 'as delivered' from the dealer on street tires. I was only .7 seconds behind the top car in the 'Improved' classes that ran the next morning that included 911s and 914-6s with trick suspensions and DOT sticky tires, and had the rest of that field covered by 1.9 seconds.

Hey Brad, surely you're not suggesting that it was the short shifter that was responsible for your lap times?? As a driving instructor, you know that the driver makes more difference than the car.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
No, I'm not really - but I do think it helped a little - particularly with getting the downshifts out of the way quickly - the course was .9 miles long and times for most classes (except for the super zoomy race cars in the last day) were in the 59-63 second range. That's a very fast average speed, and every little tiny bit helps. I also think it accounted for a little bit more driver confidence on my part knowing I could get the multiple upshifts and downshifts, that are unusual for an AX event, done quickly.

brad

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Now Ken, I probably would have smoked you, too... as P-nut said above - 'you know that the driver makes more difference than the car.'

Anyway, yes, there were lots of folks who were very impressed with the performance of a box-stock Cayman S on the track. Another GGR driver, Greg Adams, was 1 second faster then me in a box-stock 1997 993 C2S. A good example of the difference being the driver. Greg and I were pretty amazed at how well our times held up the rest of the day and for a good protion of the next morning, in our showroom stock-mobiles...

brad

Edited by - beez on 08/16/2006 5:55:54 PM

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Now Ken, I probably would have smoked you, too... as P-nut said above - 'you know that the driver makes more difference than the car.'

Anyway, yes, there were lots of folks who were very impressed with the performance of a box-stock Cayman S on the track. Another GGR driver, Greg Adams, was 1 second faster then me in a box-stock 1997 993 C2S. A good example of the difference being the driver. Greg and I were pretty amazed at how well our times held up the rest of the day and for a good protion of the next morning, in our showroom stock-mobiles...

brad

Edited by - beez on 08/16/2006 5:55:54 PM

Didn't I mention the 2 second faster time I set in my Cayman S when it was box-stock in June? /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/tounge_smile.gif

Ok so how is that calendar coming along???

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
So instead of a $765 option, does anyone have a costestimate of theshifter and installation from the dealer now?

-Pete

1 - 20 of 23 Posts