Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have the Porsche Sports Suspension in your Cayman....how's the ride height? Is it manageable? (I have a pretty steep driveway..........)

Thinking of having the dealer install it.....

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
ok, Here goes:
I have x-73 and in all driveways except the flattest 25%, the front end will touch if you drive directly head on. If you angle your approach it is possible not touch about 90% of the time. It does not take a very steep driveway to scrap the the front end.

For those who have the Porsche Sports Suspension in your Cayman....how's the ride height? Is it manageable? (I have a pretty steep driveway..........)

Thinking of having the dealer install it.....

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Certainly if you have gradients in your life, you don't want X73! It's supposed to be like a GT3 clearance, and how many of those owners pay for the $3500
"front lift kit" option? There's no equivalent for the X73...

·
Registered
125 Posts
The SS's ride height is 20mm lower (25.4mm = 1in). That doesn't sound like a large drop, but an X73 equipped car looks and feels significantly lower than standard. I test drove a Boxster and Cayman with the X73 SS. They felt similar to my old 997 GT3. The low ride height is manageable, but it does require some attention and forethought. Not sure I'd like dealing with that every day (my GT3 wasn't a dd). My dd CS has the standard suspension.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
"The low ride height is manageable, but it does require some attention and forethought." Perfect summary!

The SS's ride height is 20mm lower (25.4mm = 1in). That doesn't sound like a large drop, but an X73 equipped car looks and feels significantly lower than standard. I test drove a Boxster and Cayman with the X73 SS. They felt similar to my old 997 GT3. The low ride height is manageable, but it does require some attention and forethought. Not sure I'd like dealing with that every day (my GT3 wasn't a dd). My dd CS has the standard suspension.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I drive very carefully over any significant bump or dip, and I've still managed to scrape the front end quite a bit. The plastic lip under the nose has actually been coming loose, so today I found it in the parking lot at work, where I'd run over the curb slightly yesterday. I'm going to have to watch the lip in future, but I don't think its worth not getting the X-73 over.

Its labelled "981 C7 Spoilerlippe S".

·
Registered
570 Posts
need to always be aware of how steep any entryway or driveway is when approaching. been a year, i haven't scraped the paint.. the the underbody plates have taken a few hits.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Like any low car you need to pay attention. In and out of driveways it's best to go at an angel .The worst car I ever had was a GT 2 not only was it low but it also had a very long front overhang which made it even worse. Overall for how low the X73 Cayman is it's actually not that bad. I've only had my 15 Cayman S for a week with the sport suspension. I do like it more than the 14 I had with PASM. It's just more buttoned up. Carl

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
My car is even lower than X73 and it hasn't been a problem at all for me. My driveway is sloped and I don't scrape. There are a few roads with inclines I know I can't manage, so I avoid them, but for the most part it hasn't been an issue.

I do have my shop looking to see if they can install some thicker spring pads to lift the car 1/3" or so. Would be more in line with X73 at that point.

·
Registered
125 Posts
"The low ride height is manageable, but it does require some attention and forethought." Perfect summary!

Thank you.

I believe I saw your car at Hershey this year. Looked really sharp..the color, wheels, stance, etc. I had just gotten mine and was happy to get up there for the show. Unfortunately, I had to park way over on one side of the lot. Hope to get a better spot next year.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I still think that for a track car the X73 is the way to go. But for street driving on a regular or semi-regular basis, my OCD selected the PASM as I would never relax with the high potential for scraping and blemishing my beauty.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I still think that for a track car the X73 is the way to go. But for street driving on a regular or semi-regular basis, my OCD selected the PASM as I would never relax with the high potential for scraping and blemishing my beauty.
I agree having had both. The PASM is a better all-around suspension?.The X73 is a better track suspension. I switched because the car is primarily for weekends and track days.I do have to admit I'm a sucker for the lower right height.carl

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I have PASM so it's 10mm lower than normal. When I put on my track tires size 235(265)/40/R18 it's about 12.5mm lower and my suspension settled in after 2+ years so it's a little lowered yet. I drove with my track tires set on the street all the time, I just have to be a little more careful going in and out parking lot and driveway but it's livable.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yes sir! That was me. Thanks for the kind words. Hope you are enjoying your car. I am planning on being there again next year.

Thank you.

I believe I saw your car at Hershey this year. Looked really sharp..the color, wheels, stance, etc. I had just gotten mine and was happy to get up there for the show. Unfortunately, I had to park way over on one side of the lot. Hope to get a better spot next year.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are any of you aware of non-OEM lowering options that would not raise red-flags with the original OEM Warranty?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts